ups surge vs surge+batt outlets

SINCLR

Hi guys n girls

My 720w ups has 3 outlets for "surge only" and 3 for "surge and battery"....

I want to know does the "surge only" side have a voltage limit or is it basically a powerboard/surge strip from the wall...

eg: can i overload the ups running say a 1500w appliance though the surge only socket on the back or will it be fine acting simply as an extension from the wall with added surge protection.?

my thinking is if it is not providing battery backup anything plugged in should not overload the 720w that is battery backed up...?

i could just plug in a hair dryer and find out but i thought i would do the smart thing and ask first and hopefully by the time i get up in the morning i will have an answer ? 

the unit is a defender 1200

image.png.faf386f7ddb97ae5bd5f312a4740324d.png

I'd be betting it's basically just a power strip from the wall. It says it has full protection, (I.E overload, thermal, surge, short circuit and overcharge).  I would try it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I'd be betting it's basically just a power strip from the wall. It says it has full protection, (I.E overload, thermal, surge, short circuit and overcharge).  I would try it.

my project rewiring for the morning. don't want my pc shutting down when i plug in the glue gun haha but im out of wall sockets they have both gone to the 2 ups units 

3 minutes ago, SINCLR said:

my project rewiring for the morning. don't want my pc shutting down when i plug in the glue gun haha but im out of wall sockets they have both gone to the 2 ups units 

you could plug a standard power board in before the UPS.   You'd be surprised how much you can ruin off 1 point.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

you could plug a standard power board in before the UPS.   You'd be surprised how much you can ruin off 1 point.

yeah they say not to do that i plug it directly (via and extension cord) into the wall.

Just now, SINCLR said:

yeah they say not to do that i plug it directly (via and extension cord) into the wall.

A good quality power board would be alright, s the power point is likely just one of 5 others in the house (if not all of them) that are on the same circuit.  In fact my house only has 3 circuits for power, which means  I have my pc, 4 monitors, amp, NAS (another PC), studio equipment,  routers and modem, electric blankets, bed side lights, microwave, electric fan heater, 2x sons PC all running of the same circuit. 

But it's also cool if you want to follow the instructions for peace of mind,  I do that too sometimes.

Just now, mr moose said:

A good quality power board would be alright, s the power point is likely just one of 5 others in the house (if not all of them) that are on the same circuit.  In fact my house only has 3 circuits for power, which means  I have my pc, 4 monitors, amp, NAS (another PC), studio equipment,  routers and modem, electric blankets, bed side lights, microwave, electric fan heater, 2x sons PC all running of the same circuit. 

But it's also cool if you want to follow the instructions for peace of mind,  I do that too sometimes.

lol yeah 90% of our houses power draw has to be through the 2 sockets in the office haha