iPad Pro vs Surface Pro vs Slate

whitedragon101

The new Google Slate product totally baffles me. It has all the cons of a Surface Pro with none of the benefits. What customer will buy this? If you want a desktop on the go you get a Surface Pro, if you want more power at a lower price and can live without desktop apps you get an iPad Pro.

iPad Pro
Pro = Very fast, fair price (so far)
Cons = No desktop apps

Surface Pro
Pros = Desktop Windows Apps (a big pro)
Cons = Massive price, even $1700 i7 slower than an iPad Pro

Google Slate
Pro = ?
Cons = Massive price, even $1700 i7 slower than an iPad Pro, No desktop apps

Google isn’t a Hardware company. They want to be, but when you think about it the only good thing about Googles hardware products is the software that runs on them. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just my two cents.  I have an iPad Pro (the large one, think it's 12), and it's great.  I take it with me to all my doctor appts or where ever else I need something to keep busy with while waiting.  I got one with 256 gigs of memory so I am able to store a boat load of movies on it for while waiting in the doctors office or watching while my wife drives.  It helps take my mind off her lack of driving skills.  It's fast and easy to learn how to use.  Granted, they are not cheap by any means but I believe that I have gotten my monies worth out of it and I recommend it whenever I get the chance so if you are in the market for a tablet type device, go with the iPad Pro.

I have a five year old Acer laptop that I also take with me for those times when a computer would be easier to use because of the software availability but it gets left home a lot now days since I'm retired.  Stick with the iPad.  I have a friend that bought a google chrome device and he hates it but has had it too long to take back.  It lacks when it comes to the software that it will run but he thought he would save money but in the long run, it has fallen really short of what he needed a laptop for.  He works out in the forest a lot since he is employed with the California Department of Forestry.

The Microsoft Surface Pro is EXTREMELY OVERPRICED.

Companies such as Dell, Acer, Asus, HP and others do just as good and will not kill you at the check out counter.

Good luck in making your choice.  Check all the options available and make sure that if you do get a notebook or laptop, whichever you choose to do, just make sure you get one you will be satisfied with a year down the road because warranties are limited.

Here's how I see it. 

The iPad Pro is a tablet attempting to be a laptop 

The Surface Pro is a laptop attempting to be a tablet 

The Pixel Slate is a joke, especially when it starts with an Intel Celeron 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

10 hours ago, Mooshi said:

If Apple creates a unified OS, there would be zero hesitation with going iPad Pro for most.

Apple have said they will never do this.  However I am very excited at their universal app program they announced at WWDC 2017. The idea is an app build for one platform IOS/MacOS will automatically work on the other.  That would be amazing.

My dream would be to have my desktop development apps on my iPad like Atom/Pinegrow/xCode