New here and in dire need of suggestions.

Hi All,

To give a brief background about myself -

Hi, I am Karan. I am from India and great fan of LTT.

Continuing with my topic -

I recently saw a video about installing the exp gdc card into the laptop's M.2 port and installing a desktop gpu to it. It inspired me to try and do it for my laptop as well. I have a MSI PE62 7RE laptop, with core i7, GTX 1050TI, 8 gigs of Ram, 1 TB HDD, and a 128 GB SSD. I wish to install a new gpu to it. Now I have a few questions about it -

1.) Can I connect the egpu to an external monitor or will I have to work with the same shitty laptop screen?

2.) Does the laptop even support the M.2 port to PCIe x16?

3.) What sort of memory does the laptop support?(I am also considering that upgrade)

4.) I wish to convert it into a desktop system, can I do it on some pre built Case or shall I build my own case ?(using metal sheets)

I hope I have been able to put it in the mist easily understandable form. It would be a great help if someone can help me out with this. 

Just now, Hip said:

Welcome.

1) Yes you can.

Thank you. That's one doubt out of the window. :)

you already have a 1050ti and using an egpu is not the same as using the graphics card on a desktop, it will loose some performance, about 20% or so i believe.

10 minutes ago, Kjhanjee said:

2.) Does the laptop even support the M.2 port to PCIe x16?

In the video they said it varies case by case, so unless someone else online has already tried with your laptop, you probably need to experiment.

10 minutes ago, Kjhanjee said:

3.) What sort of memory does the laptop support?(I am also considering that upgrade)

Laptops support a memory form factor called SoDimm, and googling SoDimm vs dimm will give you a very clear picture of why. Your laptop supports 4th gen memory, or DDR4, so you'll want DDR4 SoDimm.

12 minutes ago, Kjhanjee said:

4.) I wish to convert it into a desktop system, can I do it on some pre built Case or shall I build my own case ?(using metal sheets)

While possible, this will be an agonizing headache. You're far better off selling the laptop to buy parts for a desktop.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, asus killer said:

you already have a 1050ti and using an egpu is not the same as using the graphics card on a desktop, it will loose some performance, about 20% or so i believe.

But it would be using the pcie interface and would not require the information to be processed like with a thunderbolt egpu. That would make me believe that you wouldn't have the same performance degradation as you would with a thunderbolt egpu.

Just now, asus killer said:

I agree but 1050ti is not delivering good performance on 1080. I can hardly play PUBG at lowest settings at 60FPS and have consistent frame drops. Also, I am planning on getting a gtx 1080ti mini(hoping a price drop after the rtx cards flood the market) so even with the performance drop, I guess, it should be far better than the 1050ti. That's my POV though.

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

But it would be using the pcie interface and would not require the information to be processed like with a thunderbolt egpu. That would make me believe that you wouldn't have the same performance degradation as you would with a thunderbolt egpu.

Actually performance loss has been shown to be similar to that of thunderbolt enclosures, so there is that factor. Although if OP gets a 1080 or something that probably matters very little.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

In the video they said it varies case by case, so unless someone else online has already tried with your laptop, you probably need to experiment.

Laptops support a memory form factor called SoDimm, and googling SoDimm vs dimm will give you a very clear picture of why. Your laptop supports 4th gen memory, or DDR4, so you'll want DDR4 SoDimm.

While possible, this will be an agonizing headache. You're far better off selling the laptop to buy parts for a desktop.

Thank you for the details. I was also looking for the exact brand name for the memory so that I xan buy it online. I don't want to open up the rig just yet(warranty period).

Just now, fasauceome said:

Actually performance loss has been shown to be similar to that of thunderbolt enclosures, so there is that factor. Although if OP gets a 1080 or something that probably matters very little.

Then why use this method? Makes zero sense to me especially when it is more intrusive to the laptop to utilize. 

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

Then why use this method? Makes zero sense to me especially when it is more intrusive to the laptop to utilize. 

Actually, I can answer that. If I go for a CPU build with same memory and CPU specs it would cost me a lot more than what I would get after selling the laptop off. I wanted to retain the CPU and memory power with a high power gpu.

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

This method is super useful if you have an old laptop with a decent CPU that would serve decently as a desktop. Admittedly, OP isn't really better off doing this with such a modern product, and would likely benefit from just selling the current system and building a tower.

Primary PC:

Just now, Kjhanjee said:

Actually, I can answer that. If I go for a CPU build with same memory and CPU specs it would cost me a lot more than what I would get after selling the laptop off. I wanted to retain the CPU and memory power with a high power gpu.

Oh well in that case, not such a bad idea. I am somewhat aware of product shortages and price jumps in  India

Primary PC:

Just now, Kjhanjee said:

No I mean why go for the m.2 method rather than a thunderbolt 2 egpu enclosure. 

Oh well in that case, not such a bad idea. I am somewhat aware of product shortages and price jumps in  India

Yeah, the prices are fluctuating uncontrollably. Also, if you can tell me whether a founders edition 1080 would be better or a MSI 1080TI mini?

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

No I mean why go for the m.2 method rather than a thunderbolt 2 egpu enclosure. 

Thunderbolt enclosure costs as much as the gpu and the M.2 method costs 5-6 times less. So...

2 minutes ago, Kjhanjee said:

Yeah, the prices are fluctuating uncontrollably. Also, if you can tell me whether a founders edition 1080 would be better or a MSI 1080TI mini?

1080 ti mini for sure. Fan coolers are better than blowers in most cases.

Primary PC:

9 minutes ago, Kjhanjee said:

I agree but 1050ti is not delivering good performance on 1080. I can hardly play PUBG at lowest settings at 60FPS and have consistent frame drops. Also, I am planning on getting a gtx 1080ti mini(hoping a price drop after the rtx cards flood the market) so even with the performance drop, I guess, it should be far better than the 1050ti. That's my POV though.

Your problem is memory bandwidth. PUBG is very memory dependent, while laptops usually use 2400MHz memory.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1080 ti mini for sure. Fan coolers are better than blowers in most cases.

Thank you. 

I hope Linus makes a video on the lesser known Prestige series of MSI. Specially, the PE627RE, it's a very less known laptop in the series. I cannot even find replacement parts online.....

1 minute ago, Jurrunio said:

Your problem is memory bandwidth. PUBG is very memory dependent, while laptops usually use 2400MHz memory.

Are you sure it's a RAM issue and not a GPU issue? cause I also find some stuttering while moving my aim around.

3 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Though even with the memory thing, I might just get the memory and the egpu. I am planning on putting this whole rig in a metal case with some coolers, and then finally placing it as a desktop and maybe, in the future, just getting a small media edition laptop that serves my everyday needs. 

2 minutes ago, Kjhanjee said:

Are you sure it's a RAM issue and not a GPU issue? cause I also find some stuttering while moving my aim around.

Stuttering can be caused by a lot, ranging from slow ram to even an inadequate CPU. You could see what task manager says if you want to be sure.

Primary PC:

3 minutes ago, Kjhanjee said:

why don't you monitor GPU usage in game. You'll have all your answers.

Stuttering can be caused by a lot, ranging from slow ram to even an inadequate CPU. You could see what task manager says if you want to be sure.

Sure will do. Also, if it is okay with you, I'll post a few screens from the game as well, just to show in what state is it running.

3 minutes ago, Kjhanjee said:

quite often yes. Monitor your CPU and GPU usage in games. If neither hit 95%+, then you are bottlenecked by memory.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s