Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

At 2020 XLRM underperforming

Treblan

so I've had my at 2020 with XLRM cable and I'm using a sound blaster ae5 sound card and the mic hasn't ever performed the greatest and its really not great now I'm also using a micropower ps40 phantom power tho I'm wondering what the problem is I don't know if its the mic, my sound card, or even just the microphone

You are using XLR professional grade microphone with a sound card which doesn't have any microphone preamps. There lays your problem.

So what should i do about that?

Im guessing i should get a preamp tho theres two questions then first, does it only amplify the volume or the general quality and can i still use my sound card with a pre amp? 

And isn't the ms400 phantom power also a preamp

5 hours ago, Treblan said:

So what should i do about that?

Im guessing i should get a preamp tho theres two questions then first, does it only amplify the volume or the general quality and can i still use my sound card with a pre amp? 

And isn't the ms400 phantom power also a preamp

you mean PS40 as stated in the original post? If so, it is only a PSU for phantom power. One of the cheapest things you can get is 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MIC100--behringer-tube-ultragain-mic100

It is preamp and phantom power PSU. How is it? I don't know. I only used higher end stuff. With preamp in theory you would be able to use line in of your sound card to connect preamp into your sound card. To be honest, this approach is more of a hack than a real solution.