Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Cooling for 2700x

Masters2150

This is kind of an air/liquid question, but I didn't see a good catagory for it.

I'm looking to cool a 2700x in a sff pc. Unfortunately the stock cooler is too high. 

I don't intend to overclock since I've heard this chip boosts to oc speeds anyways. 

I need a cooler no higher than 82mm, alternatively I could use a 120mm aio. 

The case I'm thinking of is the Evolv Shift. So I'll be using a blower style cooler on the 2080 ti GPU. The air intake on the blower is right next to the air intake, so if I put an aio there, it will just suck up hot air. So I'd prefer an air cooler if possible. 

Another option is I can just make a custom loop for the CPU only with two 120mm rads, still leaves the same problem as the aio but not as bad. 

If a 120mm aio like the h60 would work on the CPU, I could also get an nzxt g12 bracket for the GPU. 

Any help is appreciated. 

since there are 2 places for a 120 rad in the Evolv Shift, you should be able to the cpu aio rad as far as possible from the blower intake.

Current Build

CPU: AMD Ryzen9 5900X

CPU Cooler: Deepcool Gamerstorm Captain 240 Pro

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X470 Gaming-F

Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 4x8GB

Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB STRIX Gaming OC

Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400 ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850W 80+ Gold Fully Modular

Case Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM 78.7 CFM  140mm Fan

Monitor: LG 25UM58-P

LG 29UM69G      

Mouse: Razer Basilisk

Razer Naga Epic Chroma     

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2

Keypad: Razer Orbweaver Chroma Stealth

Controller: Razer Wolverine Ultimate
Headphones: Razer Kraken 7.1 v2

Speakers: Logitech Z200 2ch Speakers

34 minutes ago, Srishunbagasundaran said:

since there are 2 places for a 120 rad in the Evolv Shift, you should be able to the cpu aio rad as far as possible from the blower intake.

Both spots for the rads are directly next to the GPU in like a right angle. 

17 hours ago, Masters2150 said:

Both spots for the rads are directly next to the GPU in like a right angle. 

ah, my bad.

sounds like you should go for liquid cooled gpu

Current Build

LG 29UM69G      

Razer Naga Epic Chroma     

7 hours ago, Srishunbagasundaran said:

ah, my bad.

sounds like you should go for liquid cooled gpu

Which is why I'm leaning more to the Shift X, the Shift only has spots for 2 120mm rads. But the X is also bigger.

3 minutes ago, Masters2150 said:

Which is why I'm leaning more to the Shift X, the Shift only has spots for 2 120mm rads. But the X is also bigger.

If you're looking at the Shift X, you may want to look at the Fractal R6 for similar price or even less.  Unless the aesthetics are what you're looking for.

Then again, if you move to the R6 you won't need an AIO since it has plenty of room for a nice air cooler too.

Emma : i9 9900K 5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID 0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Corsair Virtuoso SE - Logitech G910, G502 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Samsung 27" + Dell 24" 

Raven:  Intel i3 10100F - ASRock H410M-HDV - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2666Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Inland 256GB SSD + Toshiba 2TB HDD - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Spectre 24" 

Other Tech:

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

4 minutes ago, Masters2150 said:

oooh defs go with shift x. I reckon it looks way better, horizontally and vertically. Plus it'll be easier to figure out how to route things for liquid cooling.

Current Build

LG 29UM69G      

Razer Naga Epic Chroma     

2 minutes ago, jstudrawa said:

If you're looking at the Shift X, you may want to look at the Fractal R6 for similar price or even less.  Unless the aesthetics are what you're looking for.

Then again, if you move to the R6 you won't need an AIO since it has plenty of room for a nice air cooler too.

1 minute ago, Srishunbagasundaran said:

oooh defs go with shift x. I reckon it looks way better, horizontally and vertically. Plus it'll be easier to figure out how to route things for liquid cooling.

It's the size and looks. I'd PREFER the Shift since it's the smallest, and to me looks nice. It also very nicely fits on top of my desk behind my desk, the Shift X it just slightly to long and would have to go on the floor. If I put it upright it will be a bit top heavy and prone to tipping over.

You could run separate 120mm AIO's for the cpu and gpu in the Evolv Shift: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/HxxG3C?comment_sort=newest

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 minutes ago, Masters2150 said:

wait for one

Wait for what?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 minutes ago, Masters2150 said:

A hybrid 2080 ti

Looks like the Kraken G12 has worked on some 2080 Ti's with the AMD bracket: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/98w44y/rtx_2080_ti_w_nzxt_kraken_g12_compatibility/

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

Looks like the Kraken G12 has worked on some 2080 Ti's with the AMD bracket: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/98w44y/rtx_2080_ti_w_nzxt_kraken_g12_compatibility/

oo...hadn't considered that, I thought the G12 was like a forgotten peice of hardware, didn't think it would be compatible. Will have to look into that....