Will I have enough PCIe lanes for a raid 0 upgrade?

Go to solution Solved by SpaceGhostC2C,
8 hours ago, A-Furry-Peanut said:

Sorry I meant the chipset (H97M Pro4) on my mobo, according to the spec sheet on Asrock's site it has "1 PCIe 3.0 x16, 1 PCIe 2.0 x16, 2 PCI"
https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H97M Pro4/

The second (2.0) slot runs in x4 mode. Moreover, if you RTFM, it states that a two-graphics card setup will run in x16-x4 mode, not x8-x8, meaning only the first slot is wired to the CPU directly, using all 16 lanes. The second (PCIe 2.0, xx4 mode) slot is therefore routed through the chipset, just like the PCI (non-e) slots and possibly other things.

I currently have an Intel Core i7-4790K which has PCIe 3.0 x16, which I assume will be used for my GTX 1080 ti.

My mobo H97M Pro4 offers 1 PCIe 3.0 x16, 1 PCIe 2.0 x16, 2 PCI.

I currently have 4 SSD's and would like to add 2 HDD's in raid 0 (with a raid controller card). I read an article that states hardware attached to the mobo via the weird pin thingies on the side and not the SATA III interface will use the PCIe lanes from the CPU and not the mobo, will my cpu be able to sustain both my 1080 ti and 2x2tb in raid 0? What if I wanted to upgrade to 4x2tb in raid 10 in the future?

You GPU is gonna be fine with 8 lanes of PCIe 3.0 So just keep it in the 3.0 16x slot.  It shouldn't be a problem.

20 minutes ago, A-Furry-Peanut said:

I read an article that states hardware attached to the mobo via the weird pin thingies on the side and not the SATA III interface will use the PCIe lanes from the CPU and not the mobo

What are "the weird pin thingies on the side"? Can you sent a picture? Is it the slots that you put your graphics card in?

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5 minutes ago, Uptivuptiz said:

You GPU is gonna be fine with 8 lanes of PCIe 3.0 So just keep it in the 3.0 16x slot.  It shouldn't be a problem.

What are "the weird pin thingies on the side"? Can you sent a picture? Is it the slots that you put your graphics card in?

yes that would be it, sorry I don't know what they're called lol

Just now, A-Furry-Peanut said:

yes that would be it, sorry I don't know what they're called lol

Ok. They're are called PCIe slots :) #TheMoreYouKnow :D

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

7 hours ago, Uptivuptiz said:

Ok. They're are called PCIe slots :) #TheMoreYouKnow :D

Is it possible to use a PCIe slot but still use the PCI lanes from my mobo instead of my cpu? I understand that the difference between PCIe 3.0 x8 and x16 for a gpu is essentially negligible but I figured that since my mobo has more lanes to spare might as well use them and relieve my set up from any potential bottlenecks no matter how small.

A mobo doesn't have PCIe lanes. Only a CPU has it. The amount of lanes made available is determined by the CPU. Therefor in this case you have a i7-4790K which support 16 lanes. Now, your GPU takes up 16 lanes, however it will run just fine with only 8 (so long it's PCIe 3.0).

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 hour ago, Uptivuptiz said:

A mobo doesn't have PCIe lanes. Only a CPU has it. The amount of lanes made available is determined by the CPU. Therefor in this case you have a i7-4790K which support 16 lanes. Now, your GPU takes up 16 lanes, however it will run just fine with only 8 (so long it's PCIe 3.0).

Sorry I meant the chipset (H97M Pro4) on my mobo, according to the spec sheet on Asrock's site it has "1 PCIe 3.0 x16, 1 PCIe 2.0 x16, 2 PCI"

You mean this?

image.png.77de62ce4840e5bf4ee3b7136ec5d4df.png

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh. That just states what types of PCIe slot there are on the mobo.  So in this case the top and bottom slot is PCIe 3.0 16x and PCIe 2.0 16x, whereas the middle 2 slots is just PCI :) I can see how that is a bit confusing.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

9 hours ago, Uptivuptiz said:

A mobo doesn't have PCIe lanes. Only a CPU has it. 

I think he means the DMI connection from the CPU to the chipset, which then acts as a PCIe switch for some of the slots, instead of having them wired directly to the CPU.

8 hours ago, A-Furry-Peanut said:

The second (2.0) slot runs in x4 mode. Moreover, if you RTFM, it states that a two-graphics card setup will run in x16-x4 mode, not x8-x8, meaning only the first slot is wired to the CPU directly, using all 16 lanes. The second (PCIe 2.0, xx4 mode) slot is therefore routed through the chipset, just like the PCI (non-e) slots and possibly other things.

Edited by SpaceGhostC2C
Forum broke.

17 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Thanks for the insight. Some new knowledge for my brain :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯