Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How often should I upgrade my system?

Galion

My first computer was about 7yrs ago, it lasted till about last year the os was updated twice, wondows xp > windows 8.0 then it went to the Lan shop up there. 

I think I added ram and storage then a r9 270 later on. 

That was when my cousin showed me what gaming was, my first game was Battlefield but my system was so laggy but hey I got my first game other than YouTube and neopets lol. 

My first system was put together by the only pc shop in my neighborhood so I ate up his bullshit like it was chocolate. 

Well now that I built my own pc and run a PC building corner out of my uncle's hardware shop I try not to feed bullshit to my clients, but I'm wondering now that I'm running a Ryzen system and that windows stopped making os once every 3yrs how often should it upgrade? 

Once every 4yrs like I used to or longer? 

Best Value Build List

Budget 1080p System (RGB) https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7v2Lmq - (this build comes with two free games with the RX 570) 

you upgrade when the system dosent do what you want it to anymore, or when ypu want to just burn money for fun

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

you upgrade when the system dosent do what you want it to anymore, or when ypu want to just burn money for fun

Wait what?!?!!  Burn money for fun....... 

O.o

Best Value Build List

Budget 1080p System (RGB) https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7v2Lmq - (this build comes with two free games with the RX 570) 

Just now, Galion said:

Wait what?!?!!  Burn money for fun....... 

O.o

i spent something like $4000 on my system and setup since 2014, about 1/4 of that was because i felt i needed more performance and the rest was because i love computers, wanted to try watercooling and got a nice deal on a 1080

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i spent something like $4000 on my system and setup since 2014, about 1/4 of that was because i felt i needed more performance and the rest was because i love computers, wanted to try watercooling and got a nice deal on a 1080

O.o four grand....... Holy shit, I may be making money but even the $1400 on my system right now still burns. 

That's why I try m best to get best deals even for my client's budget. 

Wow you must have a great job to spend $4000, I wish I could even earn $500 a month off my building alone I have help with my uncle's hardware shop just to help my mom with the bills and car insurance 

Best Value Build List

my first actual gaming rig was amd fx 4350 in 2013. i upgrade 1-2 years, or when i notice a real downgrade in performance. i upgraded to an  a10 (whatever the lowest tier was). now i have ryzen 5 1600x. i've been using the same case since 2012 though. it's the nzxt phantom 410. still does the job.

but yeah i decide to upgrade whenever my system can't do what i want it to do. i'm not patient when it comes to loading stuff lol

1 minute ago, Galion said:

O.o four grand....... Holy shit, I may be making money but even the $1400 on my system right now still burns. 

That's why I try m best to get best deals even for my client's budget. 

Wow you must have a great job to spend $4000, I wish I could even earn $500 a month off my building alone I have help with my uncle's hardware shop just to help my mom with the bills and car insurance 

nah im still in highschool, i have just spent literally all my money from working during the summer on computers. it was really stupid, but it was fun. had to grow up and adult a bit more now tho so i havent spent this years money all yet. i really love building computers tbh but its nothing i could earn money from here, there are loads of people who will build computers for you for component cost + $50 and i dont see how im much better really

Builds:

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, B0bonline84 said:

my first actual gaming rig was amd fx 4350 in 2013. i upgrade 1-2 years, or when i notice a real downgrade in performance. i upgraded to an  a10 (whatever the lowest tier was). now i have ryzen 5 1600x. i've been using the same case since 2012 though. it's the nzxt phantom 410. still does the job.

but yeah i decide to upgrade whenever my system can't do what i want it to do. i'm not patient when it comes to loading stuff lol

My first pc started to auto reboot non stop before I even change it

15 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

nah im still in highschool, i have just spent literally all my money from working during the summer on computers. it was really stupid, but it was fun. had to grow up and adult a bit more now tho so i havent spent this years money all yet. i really love building computers tbh but its nothing i could earn money from here, there are loads of people who will build computers for you for component cost + $50 and i dont see how im much better really

lol I'm lucky I live in a area there's pc shop in the mall that is overpriced and a old neighborhood pc shop that carries 2nd hand pc parts so I asked my uncle for a corner to setup shop in his hardware shop I charge $50 too but there are a lot of 12-14 kids and elderly so I get quite abit of work, I even do house calls when the or ps have problems I charge about $15 per visit as long I don't have to replace anything. 

Sometimes with elderles I get free snacks too. Mrs Holdens macadamia cookies mmmm

Best Value Build List

3 minutes ago, Galion said:

lol I'm lucky I live in a area there's pc shop in the mall that is overpriced and a old neighborhood pc shop that carries 2nd hand pc parts so I asked my uncle for a corner to setup shop in his hardware shop I charge $50 too but there are a lot of 12-14 kids and elderly so I get quite abit of work, I even do house calls when the or ps have problems I charge about $15 per visit as long I don't have to replace anything. 

Sometimes with elderles I get free snacks too. Mrs Holdens macadamia cookies mmmm

yah i sold a few computers i built but after some pretty severe threats from the last lady i sold one too(whose son literally ripped out the HDD cable on their way home so it wouldnt boot) because it was "too slow" when her son shoved a bilion bits of malware on it i quit that. took an order last december too which was really fun because the kid was nice but hardware prices sucked so i felt a bit bad about the performance he got for his cash. tbh if anyone wants a computer they just go buy a prebuilt here, there is 0 market for custom systems as everyone wants apple or builds themselves

Builds:

Spoiler

You really only need to upgrade when you feel that there's spot open in your system. Mine is currently at state where I don't need anything for a while. Last year I got bigger SSD, year before that GPU with more video memory, case and 8gigs more RAM. Apart from SSD, those have all been because of real need. GPU to double VRAM for video editing, RAM to speed-up loading large GIS files I used at the time for my Master's maps, case because the previous was literally falling apart.

Besides updating PC, I have yearly tech budget which I have already exhausted for this year. I was gonna only get tablet, but little accident forced me to invest in new camera also.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

8 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

yah i sold a few computers i built but after some pretty severe threats from the last lady i sold one too(whose son literally ripped out the HDD cable on their way home so it wouldnt boot) because it was "too slow" when her son shoved a bilion bits of malware on it i quit that. took an order last december too which was really fun because the kid was nice but hardware prices sucked so i felt a bit bad about the performance he got for his cash. tbh if anyone wants a computer they just go buy a prebuilt here, there is 0 market for custom systems as everyone wants apple or builds themselves

Believe me some parents over react that's why after the tell me what they want I get their addresses and I use my uncle's truck to deliver the system and do setup in the house for them, I test everything there then ask them to try it out as soon as they are satisfied then they pay the rest of the service charge($25) I give them a receipt,usually they give me $10 to $15 tip too, this way I can make sure no cables came while transportation. 

I had one incident after the elderly's grandson shut off the pc she called me at 3am "my pc is dead ad can you help?!?"  lol I went to her house in my pajamas at 4am in the morning just to explain a power button lol

3 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

You really only need to upgrade when you feel that there's spot open in your system. Mine is currently at state where I don't need anything for a while. Last year I got bigger SSD, year before that GPU with more video memory, case and 8gigs more RAM. Apart from SSD, those have all been because of real need. GPU to double VRAM for video editing, RAM to speed-up loading large GIS files I used at the time for my Master's maps, case because the previous was literally falling apart.

Besides updating PC, I have yearly tech budget which I have already exhausted for this year. I was gonna only get tablet, but little accident forced me to invest in new camera also.

Sorry  to hear about the camera, I dropped my uncle's work camera once the lens cracked he said it was a $2000 lens I turned white like bedsheets

Best Value Build List

2 hours ago, Galion said:

Believe me some parents over react that's why after the tell me what they want I get their addresses and I use my uncle's truck to deliver the system and do setup in the house for them, I test everything there then ask them to try it out as soon as they are satisfied then they pay the rest of the service charge($25) I give them a receipt,usually they give me $10 to $15 tip too, this way I can make sure no cables came while transportation. 

I had one incident after the elderly's grandson shut off the pc she called me at 3am "my pc is dead ad can you help?!?"  lol I went to her house in my pajamas at 4am in the morning just to explain a power button lol

yah thats probably the best way tbh, id really like to keep building for people but there is nobody to buy them so i have now got 4 systems just sitting about that i all love(cuz some of the stuff is janky af xD)

Builds:

Spoiler

48 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

yah thats probably the best way tbh, id really like to keep building for people but there is nobody to buy them so i have now got 4 systems just sitting about that i all love(cuz some of the stuff is janky af xD)

I know what you mean I'm testing out some budget aios on some of the display systems I build, like right now I'm testing out id cooling frostflow+ 240 and 280 aio for 1 to 2 months of 24/7

Best Value Build List