Can’t boot from m.2 ssd

Brambino

I bought an M.2 samsung 970 pro 512 gb ssd today. I tried several things like new bios , selecting boot drives , nothing worked I installed windows 10 with a USB flash drive on the M.2 .

specs: 
cpu: i7-5820k
mobo: x99 deluxe
gpu: gtx 970

I can see the drive in my bios.
some thing that may help: https://gyazo.com/2f1b442f9460030cfb53c8c90be5ede5

Turn on NVME mode in your Bios. M.2 Is the connector type, not what the drive is itself.. Theres a Certain Mode you have to turn on in your System Settings for storage that supports NVME Boot. Check your motherboard online to see if it supports it and where you have to switch the setting

Also curious why did you buy an NVME drive? Do you do Video Editing or Cad Work on the side or for a living? Otherwise its really not worth the money

24 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Turn on NVME mode in your Bios. M.2 Is the connector type, not what the drive is itself.. Theres a Certain Mode you have to turn on in your System Settings for storage that supports NVME Boot. Check your motherboard online to see if it supports it and where you have to switch the setting

Also curious why did you buy an NVME drive? Do you do Video Editing or Cad Work on the side or for a living? Otherwise its really not worth the money

I know my mobo supports m.2 but the wierd thing is i switched an normal boot drive in before installing Windows on the m.2 drive and i could see the m.2 drive in Windows explorer 

I am still A student but i use CAD for sure and i spend A lot of time on large files.

Remember M.2 Is the CONNECTOR, you can have Sata Based M.2 which require minimal changes (most of the time the motherboard does this automatically) Versus NVME where it was still fairly new in 2014-2015 when x99 came out, and it wasnt as standard yet. Bios changes tend to help but still. Check your motherboard Manual to see how to properly turn on NVME from Boot

3 minutes ago, Brambino said:

I know my mobo supports m.2 but the wierd thing is i switched an normal boot drive in before installing Windows on the m.2 drive and i could see the m.2 drive in Windows explorer 

I am still A student but i use CAD for sure and i spend A lot of time on large files.

you sure your board has nvme boot support, not all boards from that time do or got a good update.

Id return that drive if you can, mlc is a wate of money here, get something like a ex920, basically the same speed and cheaper.

Does it work as a non boot drive. If you using it to store cad files id just store the files on there.

1 minute ago, Shimejii said:

Remember M.2 Is the CONNECTOR, you can have Sata Based M.2 which require minimal changes (most of the time the motherboard does this automatically) Versus NVME where it was still fairly new in 2014-2015 when x99 came out, and it wasnt as standard yet. Bios changes tend to help but still. Check your motherboard Manual to see how to properly turn on NVME from Boot

I Will look it up When I am home.

14 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

you sure your board has nvme boot support, not all boards from that time do or got a good update.

Id return that drive if you can, mlc is a wate of money here, get something like a ex920, basically the same speed and cheaper.

Does it work as a non boot drive. If you using it to store cad files id just store the files on there.

I know The m.2 is supporter by the mobo i used it for A few minutes till i decided i wanted to boot Windows from the m.2

1 minute ago, Brambino said:

I know The m.2 is supporter by the mobo i used it for A few minutes till i decided i wanted to boot Windows from the m.2

even though it works doesn't mean it can boot from it. Your board seems to not have working nvme boot support.

So check the bios update logs to see if they added it(not all boards got it) or use it as a non boot drive.