Samsung Galaxy S5: The diamond phone

PillowSmoke

1409777620.jpg

Samsung is finally ditching plastic for real metal. Well, it’s not just any metal, but diamond- plated metal.

The Galaxy S5 will be officially announced at this year’s Mobile World Congress in Barcelona and according to a senior Samsung official, the phone could mark a radical shift in appearance and design.

A Korean news site has quoted Samsung’s Vice-President and Head of Design Strategy, Dong-hoon Chang as stating that the next edition of the Galaxy S series will come out with a “new material”.

What that new material could be is still being debated and rumours state that it could be diamond-plated.

According to another Korean IT news portal the R&D team at Samsung Electronics have been working on mechanisms to apply the diamond metal surface treatment technology to metal cases.

“Diamond material is coated onto the metal case surface of smartphones. If the metal case is coated with a diamond material, vulnerabilities to scratches and deformation can be redressed.

“Samsung Electronics researchers are known to consider treating the metal surface with nano materials or turning it into paint and coating the surface with it,” the report on etnews.com said.

Meanwhile, Chang is also reported to have said that the Samsung is not averse to the idea of incorporating a flexible display into the Galaxy series.

The Galaxy Round that was launched last year comes with a 5.7-inch Amoled screen. The new Galaxy S5 could also sport a similar vertically oriented curved display.

DISREGARD THE PICTURE!!

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Exact same picture was posted before we knew the S4 design.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

with samsung and their fascination with crappy build quality, I have serious doubts

That photo looks very unrealistic

PC Specs: - *NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange* - *AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz* - *CM Hyper 212 EVO* - *Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3* - *Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mHz* - *Gigabyte 780 Ti* - *Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm HDD* - *ModXStream PRO 600W PSU* -

Monitors: 2x BenQ GL2450 and 1x Some 22" 1080P Tv

Riiight.

I look forward to the fifty diamond-plated knockoff phones Samsung will inevitably release. :rolleyes:

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

I don't think, that the S5 is going to look like this, but I'm pretty sure that they're going to ditch the plastic, and they have to tbh. 

With so many well - build devices out there not only from HTC and Apple, but also Nokia and Oppo, they have to step their game up to justify the high price tag. 

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

I don't think, that the S5 is going to look like this, but I'm pretty sure that they're going to ditch the plastic, and they have to tbh. 

With so many well - build devices out there not only from HTC and Apple, but also Nokia and Oppo, they have to step their game up to justify the high price tag. 

Oppo from Day 1 had great build quality with their find 5

Oppo from Day 1 had great build quality with their find 5

Exactly. And compared to that Samsung was simply producing cheap (feeling) phones. Everybody complains about Apple making mad $$$, because they're selling their devices for a price which is much higher than the actual production cost, well I'm pretty sure Samsung does the same, and even more so. 

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

Exactly. And compared to that Samsung was simply producing cheap (feeling) phones. Everybody complains about Apple making mad $$$, because they're selling their devices for a price which is much higher than the actual production cost, well I'm pretty sure Samsung does the same, and even more so. 

way more so considering it's all plastic

way more so considering it's all plastic

Exactly! And it's not even like the S4 was the "budget phone" compared to the iPhone at the time. The HTC One was cheaper than the S4, and the iPhone wasn't that much more expensive, at least here in Germany. 

Exactly! And it's not even like the S4 was the "budget phone" compared to the iPhone at the time. The HTC One was cheaper than the S4, and the iPhone wasn't that much more expensive, at least here in Germany. 

HTC one had the lesser CPU so that's why but still... that and HTC is near dead so

egh ... i just wish they would stop making fablets and make a phone with a 4 inch screen and a good cpu

Its all about those volumetric clouds

The pic just looks stupid.

It is good that now there seems to be more focus on case of the phone and less on the screen (curved, nano coating, diamonds).

Now if they could start putting nice hardware in those phones I might consider buying a smartphone.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

HTC one had the lesser CPU so that's why but still... that and HTC is near dead so

Of course, this all factors in, but doesn't change the fact that, for what you're getting in terms of actual build quality, the S4 is a much more overpriced device than the iPhone and that was my initial point. 

I also think, that the consumer is much more willing to pay prices like that, when the device really feels like it's worth 700$. 

I would even go as far and say, that I'd be willing to pay more for the S4, if it had the same unibody design like the HTC One, but since it doesn't I rather spare a few performance points and get myself a HTC One. 

I call bs on this one, come on diamond plated...

Interested in Business and Technology

I call bs on this one, come on diamond plated...

you realize that they can use a small percentage right? it's not like they are going out of their way to Pimp My Phone and studding the entire back of it

Continental-Mobiles-diamond-iPhone-5.jpg

you realize that they can use a small percentage right? it's not like they are going out of their way to Pimp My Phone and studding the entire back of it

Continental-Mobiles-diamond-iPhone-5.jpg

Still I don't see this happening

Interested in Business and Technology

WTF? Why Samsung phones are just getting ridiculously bigger? How do you even hold a phone like that in your hands? Damn it Samsung. Just make a freaking tablet with speaker and mic and sim card slot. Oh yeah, and enough with cheap plastics. I don't like Apple but even they have a better design than Samsung.

Such an exciting release! 
Regardless if the back cover is diamond metal or not, they are finally getting rid of the cheap plastic :)

Such an exciting release! 

Regardless if the back cover is diamond metal or not, they are finally getting rid of the cheap plastic :)

Don't get your hopes up, the likelihood of this being accurate is slim to none.

WTF? Why Samsung phones are just getting ridiculously bigger? How do you even hold a phone like that in your hands? Damn it Samsung. Just make a freaking tablet with speaker and mic and sim card slot. Oh yeah, and enough with cheap plastics. I don't like Apple but even they have a better design than Samsung.

some of us have extremely large hands :P , I can reach from left control to F12 with one hand if that puts it into perspective for you.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

I really don't know what the fuss is about build quality I myself have both a GS4 and a iPhone and to be honest I could care less.

Why?Because it's a phone not a car where it actually matters "Oh it feels so good though""Oh it feels cheaply made".

Who the hell cares like really?Convince me that I should care.I don't give any cares about build quality on a phone alright.