Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What do girls prefer to receive gifts from? Christmas or BDays

DrThots

Right... next week is one of my friend's birthday. She is a female and I'm a male (Not sure If that matter much) and I like her. I bought a dolphin ornament, like those glass ones but I dont know what to get her for Christmas. I was told to give her a bracelet as a casual thing to get a bit closer and then give her a glass dolphin ornament in Christmas. What should I do? Give her the ornament now or get her something smaller? Then give the ornament to  her on Christmas? It's a Swarvoski Glass Dolphin

A gift is a gift, I as a 'girl' don't really think it matters the order? Besides which date is more meaningful will vary from person to person, I dislike my birthday as an 'event' so to me xmas would be better for the most impacting gift.

Then again like I said this is up to each person.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700KF @ 5.0Ghz (5.1Ghz 4-core) |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490 UD |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX @ 2666Mhz CL13 |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800 (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

A gift is a gift, I as a 'girl' don't really think it matters the order? Besides which date is more meaningful will vary from person to person, I dislike my birthday as an 'event' so to me xmas would be better for the most impacting gift.

Then again like I said this is up to each person.

Would you think someone giving you a christmas card a dull present? Especially when you are a teenager (13) from a boy who you know likes you

2 minutes ago, DrThots said:

Would you think someone giving you a christmas card a dull present? Especially when you are a teenager (13) from a boy who you know likes you

Well, a Christmas card is a bit pointless to me personally, then again at such young age it might as well be an appropriated way of showing care.

Good intentions usually value enough to doing something be worth it.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700KF @ 5.0Ghz (5.1Ghz 4-core) |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490 UD |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX @ 2666Mhz CL13 |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800 (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

4 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Well, a Christmas card is a bit pointless to me personally, then again at such young age it might as well be an appropriated way of showing care.

Good intentions usually value enough to doing something be worth it.

What would you like as a christmas present

In my experience, the gesture counts more than the present. It lets the other person know that you remembered and you went through the effort.

And I agree with @Princess Cadence in the sense that Christmas is more of an impacting and lasting thing than a birthday to be honest.

But the choice is yours at the end of the day.

Good luck!

4 minutes ago, DrThots said:

Generalizing all girls is a very good way to start boi. 

Edit:

What I learned after several years with my girl is that doing stuff together as a gift is usually better than some thing that will collect dust in a shelf and be forgotten soon. 

Gaming HTPC:

R7 1700X - Scythe Big Shuriken 3 - Asus ROG B350-i - Asus GTX 1080 Strix - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Silverstone SX500-LG - 500gb 960 EVO - Fractal Design Node 202 - Samsung 60KS7090 - Logitech G502 - Thrustmaster T500RS - Noblechairs Icon

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - H100i GTX - Asus Prime X570 Pro - EVGA RTX2060KO - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - EVGA 750G2 - 250gb 970 Evo - 6TB WD My Book Duo (Reds) - Inwin 103 White - Dell U3415W - Qpad MK-85 Brown - Logitech MX518 Legendary - Blue Yeti Platinum - Noblechairs Icon 

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

2 minutes ago, DrThots said:

I'm 23 years old, so about 10 years older than you and your crush, my interests are quite different than what you're used to yet heheh, I doubt taking my word on this is of any help.

I wish you good luck though [:

Personal Desktop":

You like her right? Do you like her for her personality or for how she looks?

I am hoping it is because of who she is as a person. So if you know her and are friends with her, just try to remember something you guys talked about. 

Women don't always like jewelry, albeit it's never a bad thing. 

24 minutes ago, DrThots said:

Right... next week is one of my friend's birthday. She is a female and I'm a male (Not sure If that matter much) and I like her. I bought a dolphin ornament, like those glass ones but I dont know what to get her for Christmas. I was told to give her a bracelet as a casual thing to get a bit closer and then give her a glass dolphin ornament in Christmas. What should I do? Give her the ornament now or get her something smaller? Then give the ornament to  her on Christmas? It's a Swarvoski Glass Dolphin

Stop playing the bench.

Ask her out.  Women prefer confidence to lurkers.  They LOVE having lurkers around however.

Until now I have read your name as Dr. Thots (That Hoe Over Theres) and figured you knew what you were doing already ;)

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Ryzen Rig 3: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler in push/pull, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  Lenovo 27" 1080p 60hz placeholder monitor, generic mouse, generic keyboard.  Still a work in progress

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Ryzen Rig 2: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker (or 4x8gb DDR4 2666mhz for large tasks), Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Viotek GN24C 24" 1080p 144hz curved and Hannspree HF207 as 2nd monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Ryzen Rig 1: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Acer XF270HU 2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37628874?

Oh man. So many mistakes. You can't ask what girls like and assume it's the same for every girl, because it's really not. Everyone is different. I mean, you know she likes dolphins (I assume, since you got it), so that's a good start. Just talk to her. Get a feel for what she's lacking in her life, or something that would make something she does easier. Hell, homemade things are always good; a small token, or cookies.

Do not purchase things to get closer to her.

Honestly I wouldn't get a bracelet or anything unless you're dating. It's kind of...strong. Though, at that age, who knows. Might be endearing for her.

Does she celebrate Christmas? While it's a widespread religious holiday, it's important to remember that not everyone celebrates it. For that reason I'd say the birthday would be better. Unless you know she does indeed celebrate it.

Also, most importantly...does she know you like her?

3 minutes ago, Netivity said:

In my experience, the gesture counts more than the present. It lets the other person know that you remembered and you went through the effort.

And I agree with @Princess Cadence in the sense that Christmas is more of an impacting and lasting thing than a birthday to be honest.

But the choice is yours at the end of the day.

Good luck!

^ This is totally true.

It largely depends on the person, as well. If she likes you, even small gestures will be more meaningful. Even bringing someone their favorite drink can mean the world to them.

2 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

I'm 23 years old, so about 10 years older than you and your crush, my interests are quite different than what you're used to yet heheh, I doubt taking my word on this is of any help.

I wish you good luck though [:

I thought girls liking ponies was one of the few universal truths?

1 minute ago, Tristerin said:

Stop playing the bench.

Ask her out.  Women prefer confidence to lurkers.  They LOVE having lurkers around however.

Until now I have read your name as Dr. Thots (That Hoe Over Theres) and figured you knew what you were doing already ;)

Haha, not always. Some just think they're super creepy.

I've always done well from the bench :P

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: AMD Radeon 6700XT 12GB PSU: Corsair SF600 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

22 minutes ago, DrThots said:

I'm not a girl, but honestly, it's the thought that matters... and Christmas cards are pretty good at expressing the thought. I would be weary of buying her costly gifts and jewelry, it can come off as weird if you go overboard (and your finances shouldn't really be of any relevance, especially at your age).

11 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

Stop playing the bench.

Guys, he's 13... :P

I would say take it easy and don't worry too much about it. If it works, it works - if not, there's no hurry.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

16 minutes ago, dizmo said:

This! do not try to buy her affection.

Get something that will be meaningful to her as you will know her better than us, but don't get her something that would normally be seen as a gift that a boyfriend would give a girlfriend ie Jewelry.

Does she like dolphins? get her the ornament 

🌲🌲🌲

Judge the product by its own merits, not by the Company that created it.

7 minutes ago, Arika S said:

This! do not try to buy her affection.

Get something that will be meaningful to her as you will know her better than us, but don't get her something that would normally be seen as a gift that a boyfriend would give a girlfriend ie Jewelry.

Does she like dolphins? get her the ornament 

But then what should I get her for Christmas?  If I am giving it to her for her birthday

24 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Oh man. So many mistakes. You can't ask what girls like and assume it's the same for every girl, because it's really not. Everyone is different. I mean, you know she likes dolphins (I assume, since you got it), so that's a good start. Just talk to her. Get a feel for what she's lacking in her life, or something that would make something she does easier. Hell, homemade things are always good; a small token, or cookies.

Honestly I wouldn't get a bracelet or anything unless you're dating. It's kind of...strong. Though, at that age, who knows. Might be endearing for her.

Does she celebrate Christmas? While it's a widespread religious holiday, it's important to remember that not everyone celebrates it. For that reason I'd say the birthday would be better. Unless you know she does indeed celebrate it.

Also, most importantly...does she know you like her?

^ This is totally true.

It largely depends on the person, as well. If she likes you, even small gestures will be more meaningful. Even bringing someone their favorite drink can mean the world to them.

I thought girls liking ponies was one of the few universal truths?

Haha, not always. Some just think they're super creepy.

I've always done well from the bench :P

She is Christian so I'm pretty certain they celebrate Christmas 

23 minutes ago, DrThots said:

But then what should I get her for Christmas?  If I am giving it to her for her birthday

what does she like? hobbies?

Again it needs to be something meaningful not just generic girl gift that might not even be wanted/used

🌲🌲🌲

Judge the product by its own merits, not by the Company that created it.

1 minute ago, Arika S said:

what does she like? hobbies?

Again it needs to be something meaningful not just generic girl gift that might not even be wanted/used

She likes saving animals and cats and all those sorts. She's also vegetarian and a very nice, gentle and innocent girl. Hence why I like her 

Buy her a Casio F-91w. It's nearly a perfect watch, but since it's only $10 the bad points can be excused.

You already have a thread for this topic:

Please refrain from reposting content.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If my post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // PSU Tier List // Bugs and Issues // Join Floatplane! // Join the LTT Official Discord //