Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Question Regarding My PSU and GPU

BrandonPrairie
 Share

I recently purchased an RX 580 by Gigabyte which requires an 8 pin connection. My PSU only has 2 6 pin wires. If i use a dual 6 pin to 8 pin adapter (as in it plugs both 6 pins in and it turns into an 8 pin) is this safe? I've seen many responses on other forums bot not about the dual 6 pin situation. Thanks in advance :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a dual 6 pin to 8 pin for my 1070 to increase power limit for overclock, you'll be good

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

I use a dual 6 pin to 8 pin for my 1070 to increase power limit for overclock, you'll be good

Thank you for the quick response. The 1070 requires more energy than mine anyways so that makes me feel a lot better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, BrandonPrairie said:

Thank you for the quick response. The 1070 requires more energy than mine anyways so that makes me feel a lot better.

What? No? The RX 580 draws significantly more power than the 1070. The 1070 is a 150W card. 

Using any sort of adapters just adds more points of failure. What PSU do you have? If it only has 6 pin PCIe power connectors, I'm guessing it's crap. 

:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, seon123 said:

What? No? The RX 580 draws significantly more power than the 1070. The 1070 is a 150W card. 

Using any sort of adapters just adds more points of failure. What PSU do you have? If it only has 6 pin PCIe power connectors, I'm guessing it's crap. 

My bad, i'm in school atm but i'll check when i get home. The PSU came with the pc as a my pc isn't custom made. I have an Old Dell XPS with 3.1 ghz, 1TB storage. Dont remember how many Watts the PSU is though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×