Converting a desktop PC to rack mount for accessibility

Hello everybody,

this is my very first post here, but I need a little help from the wise crowd. I hope my post makes sense on this subforum. I have a normal desktop PC which is currently standing under my desk on a wall brick. Unfortunately I am bound to a wheelchair and have difficulties to reach anything that is not at desk height. It means that I need help to do maintanance or any change to the system from another person. This is quite a hassle to depend on the availability of somebody else and their expertise or lack thereof to properly handle hardware.

To fix this situation I had the idea to lift the complete pc up and built it in a 19" 2U rack chassis. It would make it possible to pull it out like a drawer of a desk and do all required tasks via a maintenance hatch from above.

It is not possible to throw an endless amount of money (~300€) at the solution, therefore would like to have some insider tips with what components I could achieve what I am looking for.  My current PC components are listed in my profile, but here's list of the most important ones, for convenience:

• Asus Z270 ROG Maximus IX Formular
  • currently 5x 4 HDD (expansion possible)
  • 5.25" Blu-ray ODD
  • AiO 240mm radiator
  • EVGA GTX1080 FTW
  • (I would like to have a 2nd 5.25" front bay for a card reader/ HDD hotswap)

One last note, my current build is optimised for noise reduction. Under normal load it is inaudible. Since the rack would be in the living room, I'd like to keep the noise floor to a minimum. So crazy 10,000 rpm fans are not an option.

I am aware that it is not common to put desktop grade hardware in an rack mount case, but it would be the best sollution to help given my disability.

~~ Inty

50 minutes ago, Inty said:

EVGA GTX1080 FTW

This is going to be the real issue. It's already at 2U, and turning it horizontal might make it not fit. Going a 3 or 4U will give you more room, and allow you the leeway to re-use most of your gear

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I would be fine with 3U or 4U as well. Just thought to try to make it as slim as possible. But is was wrong to think 2U would be enough

What is the current case?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.