Need advice - Copy C:/ to M.2 w/o m.2 port on Mobo

So, I'm updating my computer, new MOBO, CPU, Ram, and picked up an M.2 to run my OS off. I want to clone my current main drive to the M.2 but my current build doesn't have a M.2 port. Is there hardware I can put the M.2 into to make it a Sata drive for a bit so I can clone my main drive to it? or would it be smarter to put my current main drive into my new build, clone it to the m.2 once stable, and clear it? 

Two questions: 

Is it dumb of me to try and swap all these parts and not reinstall windows? I'm going from a 7 year old AMD to an 8700k build. Should I just say fuck it and install fresh?

(If so, can I transfer my license to that new machine?)

If its possible to transfer the OS to the new M.2, am I going to run into any major speed bumps? 

You will very likely have to reinstall windows since newer motherboards have a tendency to reject preexisting windows installs. First you should try to see if your current boot drive works on the new motherboard, then you can close it using the new motherboard, and if that doesn't work you just install fresh.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, EthanWater said:

So, I'm updating my computer, new MOBO, CPU, Ram, and picked up an M.2 to run my OS off. I want to clone my current main drive to the M.2 but my current build doesn't have a M.2 port. Is there hardware I can put the M.2 into to make it a Sata drive for a bit so I can clone my main drive to it? or would it be smarter to put my current main drive into my new build, clone it to the m.2 once stable, and clear it? 

Two questions: 

Is it dumb of me to try and swap all these parts and not reinstall windows? I'm going from a 7 year old AMD to an 8700k build. Should I just say fuck it and install fresh?

(If so, can I transfer my license to that new machine?)

If its possible to transfer the OS to the new M.2, am I going to run into any major speed bumps? 

1) Get yourself a external usb enclosure or pci card for transfers

2) You can go to even different pc's sometimes with the same system on it, but a fresh install never hurts.

3) If you want to do a fresh install, you can transfer it with your microsoft account

4) if you're going from a hdd to that m.2 ssd yes, but I dont know if you bought nvme or SATA even if it's m.2 it can still be sata, and I don't notice the difference that much between NVME and Sata that much for just gaming

Just see if windows works on the new mobo with the old drive and just use EaseUS backup or similar to copy windows.

1 hour ago, LukeSavenije said:

1) Get yourself a external usb enclosure or pci card for transfers

2) You can go to even different pc's sometimes with the same system on it, but a fresh install never hurts.

3) If you want to do a fresh install, you can transfer it with your microsoft account

4) if you're going from a hdd to that m.2 ssd yes, but I dont know if you bought nvme or SATA even if it's m.2 it can still be sata, and I don't notice the difference that much between NVME and Sata that much for just gaming

As far as question 4 goes - I bought the Force Series MP300 960GB M.2 SSD from Corsair since they were having a 20% off sale last weekend.