Monitor Help

hug0mac

Hello! ?

I recently got myself a higher end GPU but my monitor is 60hz 1080p. My friend say I should go with a G-sync TN 144hz panel that's 1440p, will that be too hard to drive in AAA games? What is the actual point of G-Sync when you have V-Sync to limit it at the max refresh rate? (Etc 144) Also my current one is a IPS panel with response time up the boot but the colors are very good. I do like the color accuracy but I don't do anything mission critical but I still like to watch Planet Earth on Blu-ray... ? so to speak but I been recently getting into fast paced gaming, FPS, racing, platforming etc. I been aiming my scope onto two monitors, the Acer XB271HUA and the Asus PG278QR. I heard TN is better for gaming but do they look ugly? Is it worth getting a IPS "Gaming" panel for a bit more? There is no budget more than I don't want to waste too much money on things that are just fancy and not functional.

Cheers and be kind ❤️ I recently got into serious PC gaming.

┏(◑̃.◑̃)┛ Totally Not Dangerous ┏(◐̃.◐̃)┛

i7 4790K / 16GB RAM \ 250GB SSD

3 minutes ago, hug0mac said:

Hello! ?

I recently got myself a higher end GPU but my monitor is 60hz 1080p. My friend say I should go with a G-sync TN 144hz panel that's 1440p, will that be too hard to drive in AAA games? What is the actual point of G-Sync when you have V-Sync to limit it at the max refresh rate? (Etc 144) Also my current one is a IPS panel with response time up the boot but the colors are very good. I do like the color accuracy but I don't do anything mission critical but I still like to watch Planet Earth on Blu-ray... ? so to speak but I been recently getting into fast paced gaming, FPS, racing, platforming etc. I been aiming my scope onto two monitors, the Acer XB271HUA and the Asus PG278QR. I heard TN is better for gaming but do they look ugly? Is it worth getting a IPS "Gaming" panel for a bit more? There is no budget more than I don't want to waste too much money on things that are just fancy and not functional.

Cheers and be kind ❤️ I recently got into serious PC gaming.

the point of g-snyc is lower latency with gaming.

Tn is lower latency, most of the times higher refresh rate and cheaper then va, ips or oled.

They have worse viewing angles and worse collors. But  becouse you already have a 1080p ips display for that, you should be fine with a second screen as a tn.

Kind enough?

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

the point of g-snyc is lower latency with gaming.

Tn is lower latency, most of the times higher refresh rate and cheaper then va, ips or oled.

They have worse viewing angles and worse collors. But  becouse you already have a 1080p ips display for that, you should be fine with a second screen as a tn.

Kind enough?

So it's actually worth it getting a 144hz TN with 1ms for gaming and keeping the IPS one for movies? ?

1 minute ago, hug0mac said:

So it's actually worth it getting a 144hz TN with 1ms for gaming and keeping the IPS one for movies? ?

I would say yes, or for the more "slow" games

9 minutes ago, hug0mac said:

What is the actual point of G-Sync when you have V-Sync to limit it at the max refresh rate? (Etc 144)

Gsync is a type of Adaptive Sync that is exclusive to Nvidia GPUs and Gsync equipped Monitors.

G-sync lowers the monitors refresh rate to match the FPS from the graphics card. If you are playing a game and are getting less FPS than the monitors refresh rate, it can look choppy on a high refresh rate panel and you may experience screen tearing. With Gsync enabled the monitor will match the output from the graphics card. This results in a much smoother experience when you aren't able to achieve the full refresh rate of the monitor (144hz).

Vsync is different in that it caps the framerate of the graphics card to the refresh rate of the monitor. This means Vsync is only effective when the graphics card is capable of rendering more frames per second than what the monitor can display. If you're using a 1440p 144hz monitor, and you're getting less than 144fps in games, Vsync won't help.

What graphics card do you have? 1440p at 144hz can be very demanding, and even a GTX 1080ti struggles in AAA titles with high graphics settings.

21 minutes ago, hug0mac said:

I heard TN is better for gaming but do they look ugly? Is it worth getting a IPS "Gaming" panel for a bit more? There is no budget more than I don't want to waste too much money on things that are just fancy and not functional.

Older IPS panels had terrible latency compared to TN panels, however with advancements newer IPS panels have improved, but still not quite as good as TN panels. IPS tends to have better colour accuracy and better viewing angles than TN panels. The downside to IPS models is they can be susceptible to backlight bleed and something known as "IPS Glow", which are most noticeable in dark environments or with dark images on screen, though this is a fault of the monitors and you can often RMA it for a replacement if it is particularly bad.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/9/2018 at 3:25 PM, Spotty said:

Gsync is a type of Adaptive Sync that is exclusive to Nvidia GPUs and Gsync equipped Monitors.

G-sync lowers the monitors refresh rate to match the FPS from the graphics card. If you are playing a game and are getting less FPS than the monitors refresh rate, it can look choppy on a high refresh rate panel and you may experience screen tearing. With Gsync enabled the monitor will match the output from the graphics card. This results in a much smoother experience when you aren't able to achieve the full refresh rate of the monitor (144hz).

Vsync is different in that it caps the framerate of the graphics card to the refresh rate of the monitor. This means Vsync is only effective when the graphics card is capable of rendering more frames per second than what the monitor can display. If you're using a 1440p 144hz monitor, and you're getting less than 144fps in games, Vsync won't help.

What graphics card do you have? 1440p at 144hz can be very demanding, and even a GTX 1080ti struggles in AAA titles with high graphics settings.

Older IPS panels had terrible latency compared to TN panels, however with advancements newer IPS panels have improved, but still not quite as good as TN panels. IPS tends to have better colour accuracy and better viewing angles than TN panels. The downside to IPS models is they can be susceptible to backlight bleed and something known as "IPS Glow", which are most noticeable in dark environments or with dark images on screen, though this is a fault of the monitors and you can often RMA it for a replacement if it is particularly bad.

Sorry for the late response.

I do have a GTX 1080, by now I bought the Acer XB27. With my old IPS I did notice terrible ghosting and it was locked to 60hz. It felt a bit of a waste to pair a 1080 with a 60hz screen.

I can't say I notice any difference on G-Sync (it's my first experience for around a month now) but maybe that is the point. It's dynamic frame rate... ?