9th Gen Intel and Maximus VIII Extreme

So as of recently i've been thinking hard on getting the new 9th gen CPU from Intel, preferably the I9-9900k, but something bugs me.
My Motherboard is the Asus Maximus Viii Extreme edition and i have no idea if the CPU will even work on that board. i know its the same socket but i feel like im going to just get it and drop it in and it probably wont work unless asus updates the mobo for it, or i might just be shit outa luck and need to buy a whole new motherboard since the one i have is Z170 im pretty sure. idk this has been kinda bugging me a bit, was wondering if anyone has any insight on the subject and or what i should do.

If the board is Z170 it will not work with Coffee-Lake processors as the pin out of Z370 and Z390 LGA 1151 sockets are not the same as the Z170 and Z270 ones. So not even a bios update will allow your board to work with intel 9th gen, you will need a Z370 with a bios uopdate or Z390 board

ahh, i thought so... alright, i appreciate the info thanks! looks like its time to shoot for the Maximus 11 lmfao

• 2 years later...

You can use 9th generation processors (even 9900K), but it will require some work.  Custom BIOS and hardware jumper on the motherboard itself.  I am using 9900K with a similar motherboard (maximus hero viii).