Best software for managing and cleaning up storage

I really need help managing my storage on my PC as I just do not know efficient ways to manage and see what is taking up space and how to clean it up.

Please if you can leave suggestions that can help manage storage space on PC's plz

I asked a similar question a while ago and settled on DuplicateCleaner as they had a free version which still finds all the duplicates but limits the number that you can delete at once. Ended up buying the full version and that is why I can recommend it.

Link

DuplicateCleaner by Digital Volcano

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

4 minutes ago, BioFlash said:

Didn't it have malware or something, or is that or good now?

It's good

1 minute ago, BioFlash said:

Didn't it have malware or something, or is that or good now?

Avast acquired Piriform in July 2017 from Piriform and crackers compromised it in September 2017.

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

2 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

sadly the best software is a few hours of time and you.

is your C drive filling up? or is it a normal "I have too many files" issue?

It's just that my c drive is filling up and I'm just trying to figure out what's a good way of cleaning it up and make sure I'm getting rid of the right stuff

I like Treesizefree and Windirstat

Main PC = I5 7600K @4.5ghz, Asus Gtx1070, 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz, 480GB SSD, Msi Z270 Mobo.

23 hours ago, VegetableStu said:
  • how big is your C drive?
  • do you have games in there?
  • are there programs you haven't been using for a while?
  • how many files are there in your desktop and your Documents folder?
  • did you have your browser to default your downloads to the Downloads folder?

in the meantime, for unused system files and logs and temporary folders you could use try Disk Cleanup (Start > type Disk Cleanup) and click [Clean Up System Files] to see if it's able to remove any sizable space. Check:

• Windows Update Cleanup
  • Downloaded Program Files
  • Temporary Files (you might want to give that folder a visit to see if you might have anything important there, as some editing programs leave temporary files and save file backups there. Go to %temp% in File Explorer)

C drive is 128GB

NO games

All programs I use

All documents and stuff are stored on bigger hard drive

Also need help deleting a few files as one an apple computer files says it is being used by another program but iTunes and anything related to apple has been uninstalled but cannot delete this file 

On 10/9/2018 at 1:51 PM, BioFlash said:

I really need help managing my storage on my PC as I just do not know efficient ways to manage and see what is taking up space and how to clean it up.

Please if you can leave suggestions that can help manage storage space on PC's plz

Best way is to use some good filemanager like Directory Opus, that can show you size of every folder including hidden ones (can get sizes for all of them, not only by using properties separately for every folder) and sort by folder sizes then. So you can detect which folder is biggest, enter it, get sizes for all folders again, check which subdirectories are biggest etc.

Do not delete anything before you'll know what you're removing. This way is for identifying problem only.

12 hours ago, homeap5 said:

<snip>

Do not delete anything before you'll know what you're removing. This way is for identifying problem only.

It is possible that the OP's bigger picture problem is that they have too small a main (C:) drive for the OS at 128GB. Especially, as the most recent Windows upgrade rollout has been withdrawn due to a file system deletion error. That was most likely a Microsoft attempt at managing their storage footprint because most systems that rolled over to Windows 10 still have that old.Windows folder which contains personal data.

(sic) 

Known_Issues_WX_V_1809.png.b6b1a1b16dab595aabacea90b98a7c2d.png

Link

Microsoft 'paused' latest Windows 10 update after users' files disappear -Mashable.com-

Known issues updating to Windows 10, version 1809 (Accessed 2018 10 11)

On 10/11/2018 at 2:38 PM, SydneySideSteveSomewheres said:
On 10/11/2018 at 1:42 AM, homeap5 said:

<snip>

It is possible that the OP's bigger picture problem is that they have too small a main (C:) drive for the OS at 128GB

so do you reckon i should try invest in a bigger ssd for my OS?

On 10/11/2018 at 12:02 AM, VegetableStu said:

what files are those?

Just files that say "The action can't be completed because the folder or a file is being open in another program" and its usually a file from a deleted program but i cannot delete some files because they are being used but the program has been uninstalled so I do not know what is using them

20 hours ago, BioFlash said:

so do you reckon i should try invest in a bigger ssd for my OS?

Given that 120GB SSD has an actual capacity of about 110GB and that to get the best performance it would need to have some free space, which means that your real-world usable space is about 85GB total.

Windows 10 Basic operating system takes about 20GB, but then you need to include the updates, for example, Windows Fall creator was about 55GB. Without continually monitoring where all the files are being stored by programs that 30GB of storage will soon fill up.

IMO the size sweet spot for the OS and main (C:) drive would be 240GB and then have a second drive of 1TB or bigger for all your photos, videos, vodcast/podcast, and the rest of the stuff. At least that way you can relax a little on the file management side of owning a machine.

21 hours ago, SydneySideSteveSomewheres said:

size sweet spot for the OS and main (C:) drive would be 240GB

What 240GB ssd would you recommend?

8 hours ago, BioFlash said:

What 240GB ssd would you recommend?

OCZ ARC 100

I bought two of these they have an aluminium body which is good for heat dissipation but could not find a new one anywhere, perhaps, pre-owned?

WD Green 240GB Mwave $65.00

Not sure if these are any good but WD have entered the SSD space now and they are a reputable HDD manufacturer.

Kingston SSDNow UV300 240GB Mwave $79.00
SanDisk SSD Plus 240GB Mwave $75.00

Samsung 850 Evo 250GB Mwave $79.00

These are quite good and popular choices, I have only purchased Kingston SSD's but have many Sandisk MicroSD cards (Seagate has an SSD now too at this price point). Of these, the Samsung one is the clear favourite and people rave about their speed, but they are all 6MB/s so maybe Samsung has an edge because they make the controller chips?

Crucial MX500 250GB Mwave $85.00
Comes with Acronis True Image software suite

Link

Look around yourself you might find there are cheaper sites Mwave (Sydney)

hope this helps

On 10/15/2018 at 5:45 PM, SydneySideSteveSomewheres said:

OCZ ARC 100

I bought two of these they have an aluminium body which is good for heat dissipation but could not find a new one anywhere, perhaps, pre-owned?

Best place to buy pre owned?

12 hours ago, BioFlash said:

Best place to buy pre owned?

I do not have a "Best place" for second-hand components, for example, there is a whole thread regarding how to get computer parts cheaper than even eBay or craigslist.-click here-

But besides those options do you have a CEX (webuy) near you? Even a pawn shop may have some. However, a lot of the time hard drives are (responsibly) destroyed just in case they have sensitive data on them.

Link

CEX.au