Did I just get scammed? New 1080 for $65

TTesla
Go to solution Solved by TTesla,

Update: Got an official email from ebay. Its a scam. The seller's account was stolen, just as many of you predicted.

Thanks for your help, I definitely should have known it was too good to be true, and will be much more careful in the future.

I just impulsively bought this "new" GTX 1080 from ebay, from australia, for $65:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gigabyte-nVidia-GeForce-GTX-1080-G1-Gaming-OC-8GB-GDDR5X-Graphics-Video-Card-VR/292763303319?hash=item442a0d7d97:g:MagAAOSwvihY-MTg:rk:1:pf:0

It seemed too good to be true. I did make sure it had ebay money back guarantee, and I used paypal for their protections, it also has 14 day return. Ebay says 41 sold, 14 in the last hour...

Did I just get scammed?

Double check everything, I am usually wrong.

It all looks and claims to be legit, but there's no way it is for that price, so when it inevitably turns out to be a scam at least you're fully covered.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

It all looks and claims to be legit, but there's no way it is for that price, so when it inevitably turns out to be a scam at least you're fully covered.

Honestly, just searching ebay for "1080" and putting newest listing first you also get a brand new $94 1080ti, so this all seems rather fake to me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GIGABYTE-AORUS-GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-GV-N108TAORUS-11GD-11GB-DX12-Graphics-Card/263981655950?hash=item3d7688678e:g:m60AAOSwwB5bvE-L

2 minutes ago, TeenTesla said:

I just impulsively bought this "new" GTX 1080 from ebay, from australia, for $65:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gigabyte-nVidia-GeForce-GTX-1080-G1-Gaming-OC-8GB-GDDR5X-Graphics-Video-Card-VR/292763303319?hash=item442a0d7d97:g:MagAAOSwvihY-MTg:rk:1:pf:0

It seemed too good to be true. I did make sure it had ebay money back guarantee, and I used paypal for their protections, it also has 14 day return. Ebay says 41 sold, 14 in the last hour...

Did I just get scammed?

I mean they used stock photos and only charged $65 for it so, I think you did.

Also, your profile picture is super distracting.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

Just now, Cyberspirit said:

I mean they used stock photos and only charged $65 for it so, I think you did.

Also, your profile picture is super distracting.

It seems they had a lot of them, so it makes sense to use a generic image. Maybe that's just me trying to defend my impulsive and stupid decisions though.

At the end you will get a HD 5450 and you are going to need to get a refund from PayPal or eBay

3 minutes ago, BOTVladimir said:

At the end you will get a HD 5450 and you are going to need to get a refund from PayPal or eBay

I wonder what the buy gets from doing that, like they must know anyone buying a 1080 would know what a 1080 is...

8 minutes ago, TeenTesla said:

It seems they had a lot of them, so it makes sense to use a generic image. Maybe that's just me trying to defend my impulsive and stupid decisions though.

I never bought anything from eBay before but, from all I've heard so far, it just sounds like it's 90% scams.

I wonder what the buy gets from doing that, like they must know anyone buying a 1080 would know what a 1080 is...

You'd be surprised how many people buy hardware or just about anything just because it's expensive and therefore it must be better.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

It's not really. Just avoid the too good to be true deals and stock photos.

1 minute ago, Cyberspirit said:

I never bought anything from eBay before but, from all I've heard so far, it just sounds like it's 90% scams.

Alright fine, I'll just wait until it doesn't show and get my money back. So much for my high hopes haha

Just now, TeenTesla said:

Alright fine, I'll just wait until it doesn't show and get my money back. So much for my high hopes haha

Nah you will probably get a super old GPU. Old businesses that went outa business they scam people on eBay and they just send them old GPUs or CPUs like a hd5450 or an nvs 310. Something old and slow.

3 minutes ago, BOTVladimir said:

Nah you will probably get a super old GPU. Old businesses that went outa business they scam people on eBay and they just send them old GPUs or CPUs like a hd5450 or an nvs 310. Something old and slow.

I just don't understand what they get out of that, it's not like people won't realize and get their money back...

Neither do i. I think they are just looking for people new to eBay which don't know how to file a claim.

24 minutes ago, TeenTesla said:

It seemed too good to be true. 

The red flags were there, overseas seller from Australia (probably VPN - Australia is a convenient place because they can claim super long shipment time), ridiculous price, no product photos. 

And the feedback at first glance seems ok, but if you read into them, all of the feedback entries were from more than a year ago and a lot are from deactivated users. It's probably a compromised account being used by a bunch of crimmies. Activate your refund clause with PayPal as soon as. They're using that verified, but compromised PayPal to circumvent the 14 day holding time and wiring money quick with the objective of vacating and abandoning that seller account before everyone realises they've been duped.

1 minute ago, Dogeystyle said:

The red flags were there, overseas seller from Australia (probably VPN - Australia is a convenient place because they can claim super long shipment time), ridiculous price, no product photos. 

And the feedback at first glance seems ok, but if you read into them, all of the feedback entries were from more than a year ago and a lot are from deactivated users. It's probably a compromised account being used by a bunch of crimmies. Activate your refund clause with PayPal as soon as. They're using that verified, but compromised PayPal to circumvent the 14 day holding time and wiring money quick with the objective of vacating and abandoning that seller account before everyone realises they've been duped.

When do I activate my paypal refund?

TBH it looks both ways. Seller is on eBay since 2006, got positive reviews. but 1080 for 90AUD is too good to be true. If you get one and its legit, sell me for like 300? ^^

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

Hacked account. Look at their feedback and you see it was someone who sold used girls clothing. Now suddenly they have a load of GTX cards they're selling cheap, yeah right.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

18 minutes ago, TeenTesla said:

When do I activate my paypal refund?

ASAP. Go to your transactions page on eBay and cancel the purchase, then request a refund through eBay buyer protection. If that doesn't work, go to your PayPal account and cancel the purchase through there.

9 minutes ago, Dogeystyle said:

ASAP. Go to your transactions page on eBay and cancel the purchase, then request a refund through eBay buyer protection. If that doesn't work, go to your PayPal account and cancel the purchase through there.

So does this seller now have all my info...

Just now, TeenTesla said:

So does this seller now have all my info...

your address, name, phone number if it's included in your delivery line, and maybe your PayPal email account. It is advisable to change the email since that's the most valuable piece of info. However since you bought through PayPal they can't see your bank details.

Update: Got an official email from ebay. Its a scam. The seller's account was stolen, just as many of you predicted.

Thanks for your help, I definitely should have known it was too good to be true, and will be much more careful in the future.

38 minutes ago, TeenTesla said:

Look at it this way, even if you don't get it back $65 is very good value for money for a life-lesson such as this

2 hours ago, Cyberspirit said:

You'd be surprised how many people buy hardware or just about anything just because it's expensive and therefore it must be better.

I know people who have brought 1080ti cards and hardware on Ebay before and received the product. You just have to be vigilant and if its too good to be true it probably is.

You can probably read the description very carefully to find a flaw in the listing. I seen one sub $100 1080 TI that put "6 1.5" motherboard risers" in the product discription or package contents. Sometimes sellers also put "this is the BOX ONLY" in the smallest font they can use.

I damn near spent that much at my last trip to the gas station. How in the hell did you think you were getting a 1080 for that price?

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT A REPLY!

PC #1

Ryzen 7 3700x@4.4ghz (All core) | MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb (OC 3600mhz)

MSI GTX 1080 8gb | SoundBlaster ZXR | Corsair HX850

Samsung 960 256gb | Samsung 860 1gb | Samsung 850 500gb

HGST 4tb, HGST 2tb | Seagate 2tb | Seagate 2tb

Custom CPU/GPU water loop

PC #2

Ryzen 7 1700@3.8ghz (All core) | Aorus AX370 Gaming K5 | Vengeance LED 3200mhz 2x8gb

Sapphire R9 290x 4gb | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair RM650

Samsung 850 128gb | Intel 240gb | Seagate 2tb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

Core i7 6700HQ | Samsung 2400mhz 2x8gb DDR4

GTX 1060M 3gb | FiiO E10k DAC

Samsung 950 256gb | Sandisk Ultra 2tb SSD