Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

i5-9600K vs i5-8600K

Hello, I was recently checking out to buy a new CPU ( currently have an i7-4770k ) and got curious when I saw the new 9600k that'll be releasing soon, what would be the main differences between the 8600k and 9600k? Apart from the price of course.

The 9600K has a higher boost clock than the 8600K (4.6 vs 4.3) and apparently and uses solder between the IHS and the die. What this will mean in performance theoretically is higher speeds with lower/same temperature. What this will mean practically we will find out once the reviews go love (October 19th). I'd suggest waiting until then.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13401/intel-9th-gen-cpus-9900k-9700k-9600k

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

4-6% if rumors are to be believed. Still wait for benchmarks. If when you're ready they're similarly priced, go for the 9600K. Intel never discounts previous gen by much, so it may make sense.

Higher boost clock out of the box and maybe ever so slightly improved IPC. Also doesn't use toothpaste to glue the IHS to the die.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

Slightly higher clocks for the 9600k. 3.6 base/4.3 boost vs 3.7 base/4.6 boost. Apparently the 9600k will also be soldered as well, which if confirmed (I'm not sure if it has been confirmed on the i5 9600k or just the 9700k or 9900k yet) is a bigger selling point IMO.

They should be priced the same. Since you're looking at a new motherboard, CPU, and RAM anyway, you would probably be better off with the 9600k, but wait for some independent reviews to confirm it first. (I really doubt Intel would release a 'new' generation that is worse than the previous gen equivalent model)

9600k for $280

8600k for $280

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

34 minutes ago, kAEDwf said:

Hello, I was recently checking out to buy a new CPU ( currently have an i7-4770k ) and got curious when I saw the new 9600k that'll be releasing soon, what would be the main differences between the 8600k and 9600k? Apart from the price of course.

Your current CPU is perfectly fine for gaming, do you need to do anything else with your PC?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

6 hours ago, Streetguru said:

Your current CPU is perfectly fine for gaming, do you need to do anything else with your PC?

I was not looking to upgrade for this, I would then buy an i7 8700k used from a swedish marketplace. There is nothing wrong with my CPU, but my motherboard is pretty outdated and is having some problems (some sensors stopped working etc) and I would like to upgrade basically, (motherboard, cpu & ram)

3 hours ago, kAEDwf said:

I was not looking to upgrade for this, I would then buy an i7 8700k used from a swedish marketplace. There is nothing wrong with my CPU, but my motherboard is pretty outdated and is having some problems (some sensors stopped working etc) and I would like to upgrade basically, (motherboard, cpu & ram)

Then the R5 2600 is the best value CPU atm, grab it with an ASrock Pro 4 or MSI Tomahawk, and 3000mhz or better memory.

The i7 8700 non K is the best value CPU for intel

Intel is currently screwing people over because there is no 8700K replacement for 9th gen CPUs, only 6 core/6 thread, 8 core,8 thread, or 8 core, 16 thread.

There is no simple 6 core, 12 thread CPU coming out.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?