Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

About Linus's "new" $27 PC

noodle with crab

Since this is a 775 platform, you can do some cabling (i.e. buy a 775 to 771 adapter from ebay) and use 771 platform based XEON CPUs for better performance (such as Xeon E5450). Maybe let Linus give it a try so GPU will not be the bottleneck?

9 minutes ago, noodle with crab said:

Since this is a 775 platform, you can do some cabling (i.e. buy a 775 to 771 adapter from ebay) and use 771 platform based XEON CPUs for better performance (such as Xeon E5450). Maybe let Linus give it a try so GPU will not be the bottleneck?

this doesn't always work tough. i had a board using a radeon chipset that wouldn't post with a modded xeon in there. manually adding support to the BIOS didn;t work either. so it really depends on if your chipset supports these architectures.

i can imagine the proprietary dell board doesn't support this for example.

Just now, RollinLower said:

this doesn't always work tough. i had a board using a radeon chipset that wouldn't post with a modded xeon in there. manually adding support to the BIOS didn;t work either. so it really depends on if your chipset supports these architectures.

i can imagine the proprietary dell board doesn't support this for example. 

What we're talking about is some really cheap parts so why not give it a try? LOL

23 minutes ago, noodle with crab said:

but when a q6600 on ebay is 10 bucks why bother?

7 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

but when a q6600 on ebay is 10 bucks why bother?

More like $5.

Or the KILLER E6600 BRO MAN THATS SO RAD

Worked in a zotac ITX board with a Nvidia chipset that I have. IIRC you have to put a small sticker that mods the pins, and cut a tab out of the motherboard socket.

You have to be careful of the motherboard and how much power it can supply, I got an E5440 quadcore which is 2.83GHz @ 80w and it worked without any motherboard mods (I think).

Even back then, this cost me like £25, and that was 4 years ago. You can probably pick them up for next to nothing now.