Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

About Linus's "new" $27 PC

noodle with crab
 Share

Since this is a 775 platform, you can do some cabling (i.e. buy a 775 to 771 adapter from ebay) and use 771 platform based XEON CPUs for better performance (such as Xeon E5450). Maybe let Linus give it a try so GPU will not be the bottleneck?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, noodle with crab said:

Since this is a 775 platform, you can do some cabling (i.e. buy a 775 to 771 adapter from ebay) and use 771 platform based XEON CPUs for better performance (such as Xeon E5450). Maybe let Linus give it a try so GPU will not be the bottleneck?

this doesn't always work tough. i had a board using a radeon chipset that wouldn't post with a modded xeon in there. manually adding support to the BIOS didn;t work either. so it really depends on if your chipset supports these architectures.

i can imagine the proprietary dell board doesn't support this for example.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, RollinLower said:

this doesn't always work tough. i had a board using a radeon chipset that wouldn't post with a modded xeon in there. manually adding support to the BIOS didn;t work either. so it really depends on if your chipset supports these architectures.

i can imagine the proprietary dell board doesn't support this for example. 

What we're talking about is some really cheap parts so why not give it a try? LOL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, noodle with crab said:

Since this is a 775 platform, you can do some cabling (i.e. buy a 775 to 771 adapter from ebay) and use 771 platform based XEON CPUs for better performance (such as Xeon E5450). Maybe let Linus give it a try so GPU will not be the bottleneck?

but when a q6600 on ebay is 10 bucks why bother?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

but when a q6600 on ebay is 10 bucks why bother?

 

More like $5.

Or the KILLER E6600 BRO MAN THATS SO RAD

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Worked in a zotac ITX board with a Nvidia chipset that I have. IIRC you have to put a small sticker that mods the pins, and cut a tab out of the motherboard socket.

 

You have to be careful of the motherboard and how much power it can supply, I got an E5440 quadcore which is 2.83GHz @ 80w and it worked without any motherboard mods (I think).

Even back then, this cost me like £25, and that was 4 years ago. You can probably pick them up for next to nothing now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×