2 Build or Not 2 Build (New PC VS. Laptop)

Hello all,

So recently I have been looking into upgrading some of my PC or most of it but I have a little but of a dilemma.

In February I will be relocating for a year to Japan and will need to ship anything I will want/need there.

I am not worried about shipping I know some prep will be needed if I ship an entire computer (probably best to ship in pieces) but I'll handle that when the time comes.

What I'm looking at is either upgrading the parts I have now even once I get to Japan, or getting a gaming laptop for while I am over there then reselling it to upgrade my PC when I get back.

I know I'll probably want to sell any laptop I use as It wouldn't get much use after upgrading my main PC.

Right now I have an AMD build with a FX8350, Asus 990FX R2, GTX1070, and 16GB of Corsair vengeance RAM

Which is fine besides the issues the Mobo has.

I am looking at something like this but nothing is final I haven't really looked far into what I would want to upgrade to besides going to Intel.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/bgsteiner/saved/YYmnnQ

I am looking to get some input on what the best possible way to go would be and if there is anything I am missing in choosing the path to go down.

In regards to rebuilding my current PC now or in Japan, or getting a gaming laptop.

55 minutes ago, bgsteiner said:

relocating for a year to Japan

Congrats! What's the circumstance?

If I were in your position, I would get a gaming laptop. There are a lot of laptops that have decent performance for a decent price. I would choose this because I don't always need the highest details and whatnot, I just need the games to play. A laptop can do that for me, plus there is no hassle of shipping the parts over to your new house, setting it up, and the like. You can just take your laptop with you, and then just pop it open when you get to Japan.

If you do want to ship all of your parts, I recommend saving the original packing material and boxes and using that to ship your parts to Japan. I wouldn't be too worried about your components getting damaged while in transit, but it is always a possibility. It's not as likely if you have the original packing and you properly insulate the components from shock damage. Keep in mind you will have to go through all of this again in a year to ship it back to the US.

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018

Moving to work on Super Nintendo World for a bit

Yeah Looking at what prices have been for good gaming laptops 1.5 to 2k seems to be the range.

It may just come down to If I need to save some money.

There's always black Friday and cyber Monday to get some hardware.

2 hours ago, bgsteiner said:

Moving to work on Super Nintendo World for a bit

That's awesome!

For the laptops, yes. I would recommend something with a 1070, but it will be about the price you mentioned.

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018