Intel Desktop launch is exactly as we thought

RollTime

No more HT on i7 lol

1446261480589.png

fuck intel my next build is going to be AMD for sure

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

There must be a big party at the AMD HQ. Intel is losing more and more market share. In September AMD had a share of like 80-90% of all sales thanks to Intel's production issues. They can't produce enough 14nm chips, they're struggling to get 10nm running at all, they've got terrible security leaks built into silicon and then there's the thing that Intel tried to milk the market by barely improving for years. Instead of giving a shit and trying to be competitive again, they just get more and more expensive, they're making their whole lineup more and more confusing, they're fucking over their HEDT lineup. Seriously, wtf?!

Yes, IPC is still the strength of team blue – by like 5-10%. But since you can get a 2700 for $270 and a 2700X for $320 how on earth is an MSRP of $488 + tax justified? The 9700k is a joke 8c/8t for $374?! Think about what a 8700k gave you … 4 more threads. For that money I'd rather get myself a Ryzen 5 or Ryzen 7. 

Seriously, AMD must be so utterly happy right now. Their market share will rise during the next couple of months. If analysts are correct then Intel's issues won't be resolved until mid 2019. 

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

1 minute ago, asus killer said:

someone just overclocked the i9 to 6.9ghz with nitrogen. Seen it at toms hardware.

Woah...that is up there.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

3 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

No more HT on i7 lol

1446261480589.png

fuck intel my next build is going to be AMD for sure

The fact AMD offers SMT on basically all of the Ryzen CPUS bar the very lowest SKU makes me happy 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 hour ago, Deli said:

Yeah, you pay $180 for 2 extra cores compares to 8700k. Deal of the century. :)

And don't forget the new chipset motherboards for about $250 that you'll probably need, cause they'll say current chipsets cant support that many cores ? 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

I don't see the point of the 9900K compared to the x299 i9 9800X.

Sure, the 9900K is $100 cheaper, but the 9800X has the same 8/16, is on the same process node from what I can find, and might also be soldered. Plus, has 44 CPU PCIe compared to 16.

Doesn't make a ton of sense to me. If you want lots of threads, go for the more expandable platform for +$100, else save ~$200 and go Ryzen.

They gutted the i7 lmao

I'll keep my 8086K thanks, I quite enjoy having 12 threads

4 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Wasn't that one of the original reasons to buy one over an i5?

I bought an i5 because the 1700 was more expensive at that time, not to mention the mobos... I wasn't looking for B350 boards since I like to overclock and given the limited options available I went for an Intel platform

it isn't easy to buy components when your country's economy is a rollercoaster on fire heading to a bottomless pit

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

1 hour ago, SolarNova said:

Well im more looking at the top end GPU market.

1080ti's for example are still as high as pre 20 series launch.

And the used market is a joke, with 1080ti's selling for £500+. Considering you can buy new for £600.....

i mean £600-700 is fine ..for a 2080. But not a 1080ti, it 'should' have droped down in price. But since the 2080 came out about £100 abvoe the 1080ti, they kept the 1080ti at its pre 20 series price. I cant remember the last time a series of card stayed at the same price after a new series launched.

Eh, except for RTX, 2080 and 1080 TI peform almost the same.

Reason why 1080 TI price haven't dropped is because 2080 is priced higher.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

23 minutes ago, RollTime said:

https://www.wired.com/story/intel-2018-core-i9/

Update: Wired has bought into it.

Dear lord that headline

''INTEL'S NEW PROCESSORS SPIN UP HIGH-END PERFORMANCE FOR THE MASSES''

I would hardly call a 580USD CPU a product for the masses. Add RAM and the motherboard and you're easily down 900-1000USD before you're even looking at PSU, GPU, Case, storage and maybe a monitor.

Edit: With a stock 8 core 16 thread clock speed of 3.6GHZ, i'm very interested in hearing from the tech press how much the CPU will actually boost towards it's cited boost clock of 5GHZ. I believe we heard something about all core boost to 4.7GHZ, but i can't pin this statement as coming directly from Intel. I can't imagine it holding it's TDP of 95W at those clock speeds.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

34 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

The fact AMD offers SMT on basically all of the Ryzen CPUS bar the very lowest SKU makes me happy 

And even on the Ryzen 3, it at least makes sense from a price standpoint to not have SMT.

I'm happy with my 1700X, I've got no reason to look at Intel's offerings, ESPECIALLY for their prices that they're running right now.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

2 hours ago, RollTime said:

While we should wait for benchmarks, it's probably going to be a good time to buy an 8700k if you're on a budget.

No its not , 8700k wont drop in price not even a $, thats how intel rolls. Maybe next year some small drop but nothing more than 1-2% in price drop. The chips will continue to sell like they are on the market until stocks deplete.

Its been like that with all intel cpu's ever, i dont know if its different in USA but in Europe thats how it is.

Which is the reason i upgraded last month from fx8300 to ryzen 2600, intel is simply not worth it, i was able to find ryzen 2600 for 180$ compared to ~230$ when it launched less than 6 months ago which is crazy intel would never do that even on their worst chips their model is to rip you off no matter what. I wish people would stop giving them money for free, and getting a scam deal.

4 minutes ago, yian88 said:

No its not , 8700k wont drop in price not even a $, thats how intel rolls. Maybe next year some small drop but nothing more than 1-2% in price drop. The chips will continue to sell like they are on the market until stocks deplete.

Its been like that with all intel cpu's ever, i dont know if its different in USA but in Europe thats how it is.

Which is the reason i upgraded last month from fx8300 to ryzen 2600, intel is simply not worth it, i was able to find ryzen 2600 for 180$ compared to ~230$ when it launched less than 6 months ago which is crazy intel would never do that even on their worst chips their model is to rip you off no matter what. I wish people would stop giving them money for free, and getting a scam deal.

The thing is that they have better chips for gaming, which is what influences most of the market.

it's time

Asus z390 boards are up on Newegg.  Pricing is roughly the same as z370.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

5 minutes ago, TahoeDust said:

Asus z390 boards are up on Newegg.  Pricing is roughly the same as z370.

Does Z370 support 9th gen or no? Thought it would.

it's time

1 hour ago, TahoeDust said:

People who want the best gaming performance and also can use the threads for production?

I honestly call bullshit on this: People who are serious enough about their workloads to use the term "production" to begin with would never waste fucking resources on a game: the production machine is for well, production not for gaming.

There's gamers that congratulate themselves by claiming they need the cores for "production" for the one day per year they get to render something on Blender or upload 3 youtube videos to their failed channel that gets abandoned in a few months anyway. Sorry to say but those people are suckers: focus on gaming and for your hobbies use either the 8/8 (or even current 6/12) chip is fine to help you do the production workloads you realistically barely ever get to use.

Now people who actually are like professional content creators they probably can get more mileage out of the AMD options today: it is not a greek fucking tragedy that they might need to settle for only the peasant 100 to 120hz instead of the 144 to 240hz a glorious, super unstable overclocked intel chip can offer but this is basically the opposite end of the spectrum: their priority is getting their production workloads ready and actually shaving off several minutes of render times to the content they produce daily and on the off fucking chance that twice per year they get to actually play games on their work PC because they don't have like 150 hours per week of video editing and rendering well they can live with 10% less performance on the "not good for gaming" AMD chips.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, RollTime said:

Does Z370 support 9th gen or no? Thought it would.

Yes

23 minutes ago, RollTime said:

The thing is that they have better chips for gaming, which is what influences most of the market.

Well … but by how much? In most cases it's just like ~5-10%. Adding an 80% premium for such a small advantage isn't worth it. Especially not when considering that 8c/16t is not particularly aiming at gamers but workstation and productivity tasks. And in those cases at that price points you're probably better off with a Threadripper.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

Just now, Misanthrope said:

I honestly call bullshit on this: ...blah blah blah

I honestly don't care what you call it.

I'm looking to upgrade my 4670k. the 9600k looks good and I would  keep ths harddrives and gpus so these price increases  aren't as big of a deal

But damn ram is expensive

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

2 minutes ago, elderago said:

I'm looking to upgrade my 4670k. the 9600k looks good and I would  keep ths harddrives and gpus so these price increases  aren't as big of a deal

But damn ram is expensive

Dont forget the Z390 mobo to enshure BIOS support. That or a 50$ CPU to update the BIOS of a 300 series mobo.

8c/8t got me like

?????????? good shit go౦ԁ sHit? thats ✔ some good??shit right??there??? right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self ? i say so ? thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ? ?? ?НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ? ?? ? ? ? ? ? ? ??Good shit

/s

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

22 minutes ago, bowrilla said:

Well … but by how much? In most cases it's just like ~5-10%. Adding an 80% premium for such a small advantage isn't worth it. Especially not when considering that 8c/16t is not particularly aiming at gamers but workstation and productivity tasks. And in those cases at that price points you're probably better off with a Threadripper.

Not saying that it justifies anything. Just that most people don't consider that when all they hear is "MAXIMUM FRAMES!!11!"

it's time