Need help choosing headphones and mic combo

madknight3

Update: I have decided to go for the Shure SRH440's with the 840's pads along with the snowball. I might have gotten NCIX to price match the 440's to $79 so I hope that gets accepted. And I just realized I forgot to use Linus' promo, damn! Sorry Linus. Anyway, since I've placed my order, no more suggestions are needed. I really appreciate everyone's help here and I look forward to getting to try the products! Thanks!

This topic can be closed if that kind of thing is done around here.

Original Post:

Hello everyone, another new member to the forums with very little knowledge when it comes to good audio equipment. Still, I hope you'll help me out.

Requirements:

First thing I wanted to mention is that I live in Canada, which compared to the US, means bad prices it seems. I'd like to keep my headphones under $200 if possible. I'll use them for gaming, listening to music, and maybe watching the occasional movie or tv show. I think closed is what I'll need since I need to be quiet while others are in the room and while I'm up late. From what I've read, it's not ideal for gaming but hopefully I'll still get a good gaming experience. Comfort for someone with glasses for long durations is also important.

I'm not sure how much I'll spend on a mic. I don't use it too much right now but that could always change in the near future. I'd prefer something that can be put on the desk and left there instead of something that gets clipped on me.

My current setup:

• Headphones: Sony MDR-XD200. I'm not sure how these stack up to the competition, but I've had them for years and wouldn't mind upgrading to something that's much better. They aren't the most comfortable for long term use as the tops of my ears start to ache slightly. Perhaps because I wear glasses, I'm not sure.
  • Mic: Turtle Beach PX21 headset laid on the desk in front of me. Something happened to the speakers and it's almost like they only pick up background noises, don't quite know how else to describe it. I picked this up back when I gamed on console but I rarely do that now.
  • Motherboard: MSI P67A-G43 (B3). Hopefully the onboard sound is good enough but let me know if I should really consider getting a better setup.

Potential Options:

From searching around, here are the headphones I've seen recommended. Let me know if any of these will require additional gear like an amp. Prices are total to my address after shipping and taxes and I used amazon.com instead of amazon.ca for the items that could be shipped to me cheaper.

I've crossed out some options to make it simpler based on peoples recommendations. Despite getting a recommendation each, the bottom two are getting too far out of budget. Unfortunately the Pioneer SE-A1000 and Sennheiser HD 558 are open headphones and I didn't realize that when putting them in the list. I guess that crosses them off the list.

Here are a couple microphone choices I've found.

Let me know what you think I should get. If you know of something better or have a cheaper source then what I listed, then by all means post it. It's why I'm asking for your help after all. Thanks!

*edited: Prices, including Amazon.com prices for the items that can be shipped to me. Crossed off non-recommended items. Added other recommendations to the list.*

well, from these headphones, I'd probably pick the hd558 or the ath-m50 but you should also look at these headphones

http://www.amazon.ca/Steel-Siberia-Elite-Headset-White/dp/B00FB45YFQ/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1388921690&sr=1-1-fkmr1&keywords=steelseries+siberia+v2+elite

AMD Athlon X4 750k; Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2; 8Gb Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz; AMD Hd5670 1Gb DDR3; Bequiet E6-600W; W7 Ultimate x64

#KILLEDMYWIFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                         so miner; very doge; much value   

Dell Vostro 5470: i5 4200U Nvidia GT740m 2Gb 14" 1366x768 Kingston V300 120Gb                                                                                              

a1000 and blue snowball

It's very apparent you've done quite a bit of research! I like your post OP, very easy to read!  :D

Anyways, I have a pair of those sony mdr-xd200. You are definately due for an upgrade. Any of those headphones on your list should give you a very audible difference from what you are using currently. Speaking of which, in your list I'd suggest the Pioneer and Sure headphones are your best price to performance you have listed. I don't know much about pricing and avaliability in Canada, but hey... of your list those two are what stood out to me most without jumping to the three most expensive.

As for your mic, the snowball ice shall treat you well. You can even pick up a boom stand or arm if you don't want it on your desk taking up space. I'm using this. Of course, this is not required, and I used the included stand with the snowball for years. You can adjust its height very easily to give it a few more inches closer to you as you talk.

Unfortunately, your motherboard doesn't have the best of audio chipsets, but it will work. Again, anything you listed will be a big upgrade already, so I'd be happy with that for now.

ATH M50s are amazing, don't know much about the mics.

CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.4 ghz GPU: MSI 7950 Motherboard: Asrock 970 Extreme R2  RAM: Teamgroup Elite Black 8GB 1600mhz

Case: Corsair 300r Windowed Storage: 60GB Corsair SSD boot, 1TB WD Black storage PSU: Corsair GS600 Displays: AOC 22", Acer 24" both 1920x1080 60hz

Cooling: Coolermaster V8 cpu cooler Keyboard: QPAD MK50 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G500s  Mouse Pad: Corsair MM400 Sound: Sennheiser G4ME ONE headset, Audio Technica ATH M50s

I believe the Snowball would be a better choice, but the Snowball you linked is a lower quality version of the Snowball that is most commonly used. However the better one does come in above your price range.

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K,   CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i,   Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD55,   LED Lighting: NZXT Hue RGB LED,   GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX780 3GB,

Storage: Samsung EVO 250GB (OS), 2TB Seagate, 3TB Seagate,   Case: Corsair 750D,   Monitors: ASUS PB287Q 4K and 42" LG IPS TV,   PSU: Corsair HX650 V2,

Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB (MX Brown),   Mouse: Logitech M950T,   Headphones: Audio Technica ATH PRO700MK2,   Speakers: Logitech Z906,   Phone: Google Nexus 5,   Tablet: Google Nexus 9

If the music you listen to is something bassy like electronic, I'd probably go for the Custom One Pros. Otherwise probably the HD558, quite similar to the 598 which I own and am very pleased with. Altrough I've heard good about the SE-A1000 too.

You can probably drive almost all of these headphones without an amp. You could go for something like a FiiO E10 or the Objective 2 later on if you aren't satisfied with the integrated audio.

Can't say anything on the mics really, haven't got experience with these sort of mics. Personally I just use a cheaptacular 15€ desktop mic for my VoIP needs.

I believe the Snowball would be a better choice, but the Snowball you linked is a lower quality version of the Snowball that is most commonly used. However the better one does come in above your price range.

Why? He doesn't need to switch between 3 patterns. Do they really need a -10db pad and an omnidirectional? No.

Personally, I'd go with the Snowflake and Shure headphones. The Snowflake is a lot less likely to get in your way than the Snowball, it doesn't need a shockmount or pop filter, is generally more practical for standard use. I picked the Shure headphones because they have decent reviews, are right in the middle of your budget and Shure is a trusted brand (I've never used them before.)

Gaming and Editing: Intel Core i7-4930k 4.6Ghz 6-Core Processor - EK Supremacy CSQ CPU WaterblockASUS P9X79 ATX Motherboard - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (8x4GB) 1866 Memory - EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Black 1200Mhz 6GB W/ EK FC780 Ti Nickel Waterblock Graphics Card  - Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive x3 - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD x2 - Fractal Design Define R4 Window Modded - BitFenix Spectre Pro Blue LED 140mm Fan x1 - BitFenix Spectre PWM LED 120mm Fan x4 - Corsair HX850 80 Plus Gold Modular Power SupplyMicrosoft Windows 8 64-bit Operating System

dude order it from amazom dot COM instead for example including shipping and fees and exchange etc the pioneer SEA1000 is $76.26

Estimated order total shipped from the USA

careful though and make sure to click on amazon dot COM listings that are fulfilled by amazon warehouses only

I ordered a couple things via amazon dot com to canada and received them with no extra charges, I even got a dollar or 2 rebate on one because some fees they overcharged

and goddamit I swore that my new years resolution was to not buy anymore headphones but that order for the SEA1000 is sitting in my shopping cart... not going to click purchase..... not going to click purchase.....

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I never realized that some Amazon.com items could be shipped to me. Not everything in the list could be, but a couple of the items could be and at a cheaper price. I updated my original post with the changes in prices, and I changed the price to include total cost including taxes and shipping if applicable. I also noticed that the Sennheiser HD 558 got reduced in price since yesterday so they come in at a better price.

It looks like for the headphones the Pioneer SE-A1000, Shure SRH440, Audio-Technica ATH-M50, and Sennheiser HD 558 are the most recommended. From reading around, most people say the M50's aren't worth the price unless you find them on sale for around $100 so maybe I should avoid them at the $170 price point. I crossed the others out but left them in the list above.

It looks like the blue snowball is getting more recommendations then the snowflake, but I don't think I'll go wrong with either choice. Should it be used with a pop filter and shock mount?

Saw that you crossed off the 380s on the list...

I got the Senn 380s, and i'm really pleased with them. But I see you've done a good job with your research, so i'm sure you'll be very happy with whatever you decide. =)

Personally, I'd go with the Snowflake and Shure headphones. The Snowflake is a lot less likely to get in your way than the Snowball, it doesn't need a shockmount or pop filter, is generally more practical for standard use. I picked the Shure headphones because they have decent reviews, are right in the middle of your budget and Shure is a trusted brand (I've never used them before.)

Snowflake is a good idea. Cheaper and less ugly and obtrusive compared to the snowball. And seeing as the OP said he didn't know how much he'll use it, he might as well save a bit of dough there. 

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

You know the A1000 and the HD558 are both open backed?

No I did not. Thanks for catching that as I missed it. Hmm, perhaps the Shure SRH440's are the way to go then.

Saw that you crossed off the 380s on the list...

I got the Senn 380s, and i'm really pleased with them. But I see you've done a good job with your research, so i'm sure you'll be very happy with whatever you decide. =)

Only because no one said anything, I've un-crossed them off because you do and because a couple of the most recommended options aren't closed headphones.

Thanks, added them to the list for consideration.

One thing I was wondering about the snowball vs the snowflake, is how are they for picking up background noise? The less they pick up, the better.

One thing I was wondering about the snowball vs the snowflake, is how are they for picking up background noise? The less they pick up, the better.

They're just as sensitive as any other desktop mic. You can control how much it picks up with software. I had a problem with it picking up everything until I turned the sensitivity up.

They're just as sensitive as any other desktop mic. You can control how much it picks up with software. I had a problem with it picking up everything until I turned the sensitivity up.

Good to know. I just found this video comparing them which gave a decent sound comparison to help me decide.

Only because no one said anything, I've un-crossed them off because you do and because a couple of the most recommended options aren't closed headphones.

Thanks, added them to the list for consideration.

Just to clarify, I too did a lot of resasrch before buying theese, but I unfortunately I did not have the upportunity to listen to them myself before buying. Will try to describe them as good and unbiased I can...  

Pros:

- Good balanced sound,(could also be a con), base is very distinct and solid, the mids are what impressed me the most when I got the  380s, and highs are not too sharp, maybye a little muddy, but that is borderline nitpiking. 

- Very light, have worn the 380s for all day gaming sessions, but they've never become uncomfortable.

- Cord is detachable from headphones, can be switced out in case it gets damaged

- very good noise isolation, part of the reason I bought them, no prob gaming while my gf is vacuuming right next to me =P (stereotype warning, sorry about that, I do vacuum the house too)

Cons:

- Need a bit of oomphh, most notiable when using with my Iphone 4, the audio souds a little bleak. Run from a PC soundcard compared to  an headphone amp, though I haven't notied a huge difference. (and from a soundcard they sound great imo)

- They are very light, probably partly the reason why they're so comfortable, but when buying them I had expected them to feel more robust. (not to the point were you're afraid of breking them, may only be me, kinda big fan of  stuff built like tanks (:  )

- The spiral cord feels a bit long when you have them on the go, altough if it were shorter, that could be an issue when using them at a      desk.

- if you want super bass heavy headphones theese are probaly not for you, as the're monitor headphones the frequency resoponse has  been made a s flat as possible, I use EQ on the PC for example when watching movies and I want the explosions to rattle my head, tha  same way that my home theater does.

Some beckground:

Theese headphone have been my companion for the last couple of years. I use them for gaming, watching movies, and listening to music. I am by no streatch of the imagination an expert, but have spent quite a bit of my hard earned money, on audio equipment over the years, not for bragging rights, but simply beacuse I find good qulaity audio in music and movies very enjoyable =)

If I forgot someting, or you want to know anything else, i'm happy to help :)