UnRaid vs Raid

Shehryar23

Can someone please explain me what is UNRAID. If Linus has a video on what is unraid can you share the link if not can you please explain it. Can you also tell what is the difference between raid and unraid. i am a newbie in this

LimeTech UnRAID is an operating system. It allows you to set up a NAS.

RAID stands for redundant array of independent disks. 

These aren't two types of RAID. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

UnRAID is an operating system in regards to virtualization and Network Attached Storage.

RAID stands for "Redundant Array of Independent Disks." It functions by putting drives together in a "singular" array.

Upcoming Build

Intel i9 9700K

Custom Loop

ASUS Z390-F Gaming Motherboard

16 GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200Mhz G.Skill Trident Z RGB

RTX 2070 Super

Samsung 970 Evo M.2 SSD

Intel Optane 32 GB

Seagate Firecuda SSHD

Daily Driver

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.3 Ghz

NZXT Kraken X62

ASUS X470-F Gaming Motherboard

16 GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2933Mhz G.Skill Trident Z RGB

RX Vega 56 8GB

Samsung 970 Evo M.2 SSD

Samsung 860 SATA SSD 

Seagate Firecuda SSHD

UnRAID is an operating system designed to run a NAS and a second OS via a type of virtual machine called KVM.

Basically, if you had a hexacore CPU, ypu could run Windows off of 4 as if it were its own computer, and the other two could be a NAS back up.

Or, you could just run multiple VMs. If you had a Decacore, you would do 4 cores for virtual machine A, 4 for virtual machine B, and 2 for UnRAID.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

RAID will allow you to put a number of disks in an array, that means you can set them up to work together. You can optimize this array for either performance or reliability with different RAID levels. RAID0 will combine all drives for max performance, where RAID6 will use extra disks for data protection, reducing capacity.

UnRAID is just an operating system meant for use as a network and virtualization appliance.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

The purpose of RAIDs (other than RAID 0) and unRAID is to provide redundancy. Redundancy only protects against data loss due to drive failure (up to a point), which will allow a computer to continue to operate after a drive failure, but should NOT be considered a backup (in fact both RAID and unRAID need to be backed up to protect from causes of data loss not due to drive failure). RAID and unRAID have overhead, meaning the total usable drive capacity will be less than the combined capacity of all the drives. There a many levels of RAID but the most common in use for redundancy are RAID 1, 5, and 6 (RAID 0 is only for increasing speed and combining drives into a single volume). Nested RAIDs, such as 10, 50, and 60,  combine the advantages of more than one kind of RAID (usually RAID 0 and another RAID level) to make up for slower speeds and to improve drive failure tolerance (at a cost of higher drive overhead).

RAID levels (other than 0) store data on multiple disks in stripes with the stripes distributed in such a way that, if one or more disks (the number depending on the level of RAID) should fail, all the data will still exist distributed across the remaining drives. The downside of RAIDs is, if more disks fail than the RAID is intended to allow, all the data will be lost. Also, drives need to be all the same size. If drives of various sizes are used, every drive will only use the capacity of the smallest drive. Adding drives to a RAID involve rebuilding the entire RAID

UnRAID doesn't use striping. Instead of being scattered across stripes, data is written directly to the drives and one or two parity drives provide the redundancy. To over simplify the process, when using a single parity drive, the unRAID system will start by looking at the first bit of all the nonparity drives and add up the 0s and 1s. If the total is even, it will write a 0 in the first bit of the parity drive. If the total is odd, it will write a 1. Rinse and repeat until all bits of data have been accounted for. When a data drive fails, unRAID will start recovery on the replacement drive by again adding up the first bit of each drive, then compare it to the first bit of parity drive, then write either a 0 or a 1 to the replacement drive to make the total match the parity drive again. Again, rinse and repeat for the remaining bits of data.

UnRAIDs that use two parity drives use a complex algorithm to accomplish the same thing as a system with one parity drive. The advantage of two parity drives is, if one parity drive should die, the unRAID will still be protected. Losing the pairity drive on a one pairity unRAID will not cause data loss but the data will be unprotected until the pairity drive can be replaced and rebuilt.

The advantages of unRAID include being able to use drives of different sizes as long as the parity drive(s) is as large as or larger that the largest data drive. Since data is written directly to each drive instead of scattered across multiple drives, if more than the allowable number of drives fail, the remaining drives will still have the data written on them fully accessible, minimizing data loss. Unlike RAID, adding a drive does not require rebuilding the entire array.

The main downside of unRAID is it's painfully slow, often too slow to keep up with the incoming data. One way to deal with that is to use SSDS for all the drives. That can be rather expensive. A less expensive way is to use a cache to temporarily hold incoming data until the unRAID catches up. While HDDs can be used for that, SSDs are usually a better choice. This works only where there are sufficent lulls in the incoming stream of data to allow the unRAID time to catch up.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

On 10/8/2018 at 7:56 PM, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Since data is written directly to each drive instead of scattered across multiple drives, if more than the allowable number of drives fail, the remaining drives will still have the data written on them fully accessible, minimizing data loss

Wont the parity drive be used to rebuild all of the data that was lost in multiple drives. Or parity drive can be only used to rebuild data if one drives fail not more then one drive fail. meaning if 1 drive fail we can use parity drive to rebuild that drive data, if two drive or more fail can we still use parity drive to rebuild all the data from those two or more drives

1 hour ago, Shehryar23 said:

Wont the parity drive be used to rebuild all of the data that was lost in multiple drives. Or parity drive can be only used to rebuild data if one drives fail not more then one drive fail. meaning if 1 drive fail we can use parity drive to rebuild that drive data, if two drive or more fail can we still use parity drive to rebuild all the data from those two or more drives

In an unRAID with one parity drive, only one drive at a time can fail and still be recovered from the pairity drive. If two drives fail, they cannot be rebuilt using the parity drive.

If an unRAID has two parity drives, up to two drives can fail and still be rebuilt from the parity drives.

Keep in mind that parity drives do not actually store your data. They store information that can be compared to the remaining data in the array to determine what was on the failed drive(s).

Unlike a RAID, where data is fragmented across multiple stripes on drives across the array, data in unRAID is writen directly to a single drive until it's full then moves to the next drive unless all drives are approaching full and become fragmented. It's also possible to allocate specific data to be written to specific drives. Since data isn't deliberately scattered across multiple drives, one usually can just remove a drive from the array and still access the data there as though it was never in an array. The advantage there is if the number of drives that failed exceed what the unRAID can protect, only the failed drives would need to be subjected to expensive, professional data recovery, unlike RAID, where all drives would need be subjected to expensive, professional data recovery.

While RAID and unRAID will protect against drive failure, up to a point, there are ways data can be lost, such as viruses and other malware, theft, power surges, accidental deletion, etc. The only reasonably reliable way to avoid data loss for whatever reason is to backup the unRAID or RAID.

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

8 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

In an unRAID with one parity drive, only one drive at a time can fail and still be recovered from the pairity drive. If two drives fail, they cannot be rebuilt using the parity drive. 

So basically it same thing as RAID if one drive fails parity from the other drive will be used to rebuild the data but if more drives fail then all data is gone. UNraid is same one drive gone use parity drive to rebuild data 2 drives gone (we can rebuild one drive from parity and the other drive data is gone am i right??)

and can you also share few links where i can learn more about raid and unraid i am creating my plex server and the thing i am stuck is at the OS what to use so i need to understand unraid first it would be great if you can help

1 hour ago, Shehryar23 said:

So basically it same thing as RAID if one drive fails parity from the other drive will be used to rebuild the data but if more drives fail then all data is gone. UNraid is same one drive gone use parity drive to rebuild data 2 drives gone (we can rebuild one drive from parity and the other drive data is gone am i right??)

and can you also share few links where i can learn more about raid and unraid i am creating my plex server and the thing i am stuck is at the OS what to use so i need to understand unraid first it would be great if you can help

Someone else is going to have to dive in here because it appears I've been unable to explain this to you adequately.

Jeannie

unRAID's other main advantage besides ability to use different size disks in the array is that you only allocate 1 or 2 parity disks and all other drive space is available for data storage unlike RAID where depending on your choice i.e. RAID 1, 5, 6, 10 allot more space is allocated to the configuration for an example RAID 1 requires a minimum of 2 disks say 4TB each but your data storage capacity will only be 4TB as your data is mirrored across both disks also its quite easy to just toss another disk/s into an unRAID array

My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

Just another server: OS Proxmox VE / Dell poweredge R410