Connecting a ethernet cable to a PoE

Sukka38

Hi guys

I was wondering if I could connect an ethernet cable to my PoE router? The ethernet cable would then connect to a router.

Akkus Kursat

Yes, unless the device asks for power it won't supply any and will just work as standard ethernet.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

11 minutes ago, Sukka38 said:

Hi guys

I was wondering if I could connect an ethernet cable to my PoE router? The ethernet cable would then connect to a router.

Just make sure its not a passive poe. Otherwise you could damage the device.

16 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Yes, unless the device asks for power it won't supply any and will just work as standard ethernet.

Ow okey cause I treid it and my router doesn’t get any ethernet to it. What can I try?

Akkus Kursat

1 minute ago, Sukka38 said:

Ow okey cause I treid it and my router doesn’t get any ethernet to it. What can I try?

What models are you connecting together?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

44 minutes ago, Lurick said:

What models are you connecting together?

I'm not sure about the PoE but it is something like this; https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-802-11ac-Dual-Radio-UAP-AC-PRO-US/dp/B015PRO512/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1539005437&sr=8-17&keywords=poe+router

And with the ethernet cable I would like to connect that to my TP-Link WDR-4300 router with DD-WRT

Akkus Kursat

What u linked is an access point and not a switch. Having said that if you have the older AC-PRO then you will most likely have a passive POE switch for it. Or just an injector.

Either way that will kill a normal ethernet like in a computer or normal switch.

But we'll know more if you can find the model of the switch.

1 hour ago, Dujith said:

What u linked is an access point and not a switch. Having said that if you have the older AC-PRO then you will most likely have a passive POE switch for it. Or just an injector.

Either way that will kill a normal ethernet like in a computer or normal switch.

But we'll know more if you can find the model of the switch.

This is the PoE

986EDBD5-087F-444F-BA0F-8C7E59B55625.jpeg

Akkus Kursat

2 minutes ago, mtz_federico said:

By POE you mean a POE powered access point?

I'm not sure, I think it is a Router connected to the modem but powered by ethernet. Because it sends out wifi.

Akkus Kursat

1 minute ago, mtz_federico said:

An access point is a router that only gives wifi

Yeah thats possible, but why don’t I get internet from the ethernet cable?

Akkus Kursat

5 minutes ago, Sukka38 said:

I'm not sure, I think it is a Router connected to the modem but powered by ethernet. Because it sends out wifi.

Nope, that thing is an accesspoint. Also its a pro accesspoint prob managed by a big controller. While it has 2 ethernet ports its for getting 2Gbps connections and they do not switch. This is part of a professional network which you should not connect to via any other way if you are not the owner of it.

Seeing your questions and lack of knowledge about the accesspoint it would stay clear of it and contact the IT department.

1 minute ago, mtz_federico said:

An access point is a router that only gives wifi

No, an accesspoint is just that. An access to the network via wifi, routing will be done by a router either in the modem or seperate one.

Just now, mtz_federico said:

What's your setup?. If you can please send pictures

Just the PoE has an ethernet cable connected to it and with the other ethernet input I have my personal router connected to it. 

Akkus Kursat

Just now, Dujith said:

Nope, that thing is an accesspoint. Also its a pro accesspoint prob managed by a big controller. While it has 2 ethernet ports its for getting 2Gbps connections and they do not switch. This is part of a professional network which you should not connect to via any other way if you are not the owner of it.

Seeing your questions and lack of knowledge about the accesspoint it would stay clear of it and contact the IT department.

No, an accesspoint is just that. An access to the network via wifi, routing will be done by a router either in the modem or seperate one.

True that, but it has 802.1x wifi and like my playstation can’t connect to it so i tried connecting my own router to it. 

I really don’t care about the IT department cause they are a bunch of douchbags

Akkus Kursat

4 minutes ago, Sukka38 said:

Yeah thats possible, but why don’t I get internet from the ethernet cable?

Security measures are in place to prevent that very thing.

There is no getting around them.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Sukka38 said:

True that, but it has 802.1x wifi and like my playstation can’t connect to it so i tried connecting my own router to it. 

Even so, dont touch the accesspoint :D

Best option is too get a router with wifi and let it connect to the accesspoint. I think anything with openwrt can do that.

Just now, Dujith said:

Best option is too get a router with wifi and let it connect to the accesspoint. I think anything with openwrt can do that.

that's a great option, I will try that!

Akkus Kursat

26 minutes ago, Sukka38 said:

Probably because you aren't familiar with what you're doing and trying to circumvent their policies ;)

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

13 minutes ago, beersykins said:

Probably because you aren't familiar with what you're doing and trying to circumvent their policies ;)

That would be wrong :), they don’t have a policy lol and they don’t provide us with ethernet ports which was mentioned in our contract. Thats why they get me mad.

So if they act like this and I have free time I just try to find a way hehe. 

Akkus Kursat

48 minutes ago, Dujith said:

They told me I could create my own hotpost in my room but I don’t have a spare pc and I use Mac so it was impossible for me.

I thought of using my raspberry to connect to the wifi (802.1X) and then route it to the ethernet port of it (and then connect my router) but could not get it to work.

Maybe you have knowledge on this subject?

Akkus Kursat

My knowledge is more the hardware level of it and not so much networking software wise :D 

I have done it with a pc since thats easy. But thats a question you should ask someone with a rasp. 

8 minutes ago, Dujith said:

My knowledge is more the hardware level of it and not so much networking software wise :D 

I have done it with a pc since thats easy. But thats a question you should ask someone with a rasp. 

Okey bro, thanks a lot

Akkus Kursat

3 hours ago, Sukka38 said:

They told me I could create my own hotpost in my room but I don’t have a spare pc and I use Mac so it was impossible for me.

I thought of using my raspberry to connect to the wifi (802.1X) and then route it to the ethernet port of it (and then connect my router) but could not get it to work.

Maybe you have knowledge on this subject?

Yeah WiFi doesn't work like that, it only functions with one client at a time unless its specifically set up as a bridging Access Point such as with mesh networking.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7