1 Heatsink Dual Fans with Different Speed Rating

_Hustler_One_

Does this matter to the cooling performance?

The reason I'm asking this is because I will put NH-D15 and there will be stock case fan, the PH-F140SP very close to the end of the cooler, which has 1200rpm rating and 3-pin header non-PWM, while NF-A15 has 1500rpm.

Can we connect it to a 3-splitter to link it with NF-A15? If it can, will it be ok?

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

39 minutes ago, geo3 said:

No, your heatsink will explode due to the pressure imballance. 

It will be fine.

How about a non-PWM 3-pin fan linked to 4-pin PWM one with splitter?

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

2 hours ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

That will result 3pin fan running on full speed if PWM is "master". Or both being used like 3pins if 3pin is master.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3pin fans don't have the 4th pin for the pwm and nor built-in ic to modulate the incoming 12v signal. If you try to power a 2-3pin fan with pwm, it will just receive 12v and run at 100% rpm. 

The different fans would be fine on the heatsink especially if you want run them at similar rpm. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

50 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

That will result 3pin fan running on full speed if PWM is "master". Or both being used like 3pins if 3pin is master.

How to make the 4 pin PWM fans as the master?

My system specs:

Spoiler

My build logs:

21 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

3pin fans don't have the 4th pin for the pwm and nor built-in ic to modulate the incoming 12v signal. If you try to power a 2-3pin fan with pwm, it will just receive 12v and run at 100% rpm. 

The different fans would be fine on the heatsink especially if you want run them at similar rpm. 

How if they run at different rpm as the 3-pin non-PWM will always run at max (1200rpm) while the NF-A15 will run according to CPU temps, and the case fan will be very close to the heatsink like it's the 3rd fan of the cooler?

My system specs:

Spoiler

My build logs:

@LoGiCalDrm @WoodenMarker could you please help me to optimize this cooling solution?

- Is it ok if I keep the case fan and link it to the cooler fans?

- Or swap the case fan with normal 1500rpm NF-A14 (will be the chromax one for sure, if I have to swap it)

- Or run the NF-A15 at 1200rpm all the time to match the case fan speed to get better output

- Or just simply let the exhaust vent passively without fan installed on it?

My system specs:

Spoiler

My build logs:

1 hour ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

He just means powering the fans with pwm or dc. If you're plugging it into the motherboard, it'll depend on which setting is available / supported. Most motherboards support pwm for the cpu_fan header and many modern boards have the option to toggle between dc and pwm. If you're using the Z370 PC Pro listed in your sig, all of the onboard fan headers support pwm / dc modes. By default, the cpu_fan1 / pump_fan1 headers are set to pwm and the sys_fan headers to dc. You can use dc to power 2, 3, and 4pin fans but pwm will require 4pin pwm fans for control. For 2-3pin fans without a pwm ic, trying to use pwm will just result in 100% rpm. 

If you run both fans at the same static rpm, that would be fine but probably wouldn't be very quiet. If possible, plug the two cpu fans into separate fan headers on the motherboard with pwm set for the 4pin fan and dc for the 3pin fan. You can then set similar fan curves for both headers. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

22 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

If you run both fans at the same static rpm, that would be fine but probably wouldn't be very quiet. If possible, plug the two cpu fans into separate fan headers on the motherboard with pwm set for the 4pin fan and dc for the 3pin fan. You can then set similar fan curves for both headers. 

Great, but this plan is for my ITX build which still on progress, not finish yet.

The motherboard MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC ITX which only have 2x 4pin fan headers: 1x CPU_fan and 1x system_fan header.

The CPU_fan header is planned to handle the NH-D15 and exhaust fan, so there will be 3 fans to handle by the CPU_fan header. System_fan is to handle 2x intake fans. Not many choice. 

How to get the best output from this limitations? 1x exhaust non PWM fan join the PWM cooler fans on a motherboard that only has 2 fan headers. So basically I'm gonna have 5x 140mm fans with only 2 headers.

My system specs:

Spoiler

My build logs:

4 minutes ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

Great, but this plan is for my ITX build which still on progress, not finish yet.

The motherboard MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC ITX which only have 2x 4pin fan headers: 1x CPU_fan header, 1x system_fan header.

The CPU_fan header is planned to handle the NH-D15 and exhaust fan, so there will be 3 fans to handle by the CPU_fan header. System_fan is to handle 2x intake fans. Not many choice. 

Use splitters to group the 3pin and 4pin fans to their headers set to dc and pwm respectively.

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

Use splitters to group the 3pin and 4pin fans to their headers set to dc and pwm respectively.

So let them work that way or just simply take the exhaust fan off to make the rear vents passive? Which one do you think will work better?

My system specs:

Spoiler

My build logs:

4 minutes ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

So let them work that way or just simply take the exhaust fan off to make the rear vents passive? Which one do you think will work better?

A rear fan would probably be better. 

10 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

A rear fan would probably be better. 

Accepted.. I'll do that and see how it works after I got all the components.

Thanks, you help me alot as always..

My system specs:

Spoiler

My build logs:

55 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

He just means powering the fans with pwm or dc.

I mean plugging it to header with rpm pin. But I realized that PWM might still be "master" if mobo detects splitter to be PWM. Term comes from IDE connectors...

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv