Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

i7-5820K, AIO cooler at 64C under 30% load

Go to solution Solved by Corsair Nick,

You can actually connect a standard mini USB cable to the back of your motherboard through a standard USB port as well.  I've done this on a couple builds to double check temps and make adjustments to the pump settings.  If you're using one of our newer pro coolers, they will use a micro USB.

Hi,

I've got an i7-5820K at stock speeds but questionable temps. 

Running Prime95 for less than 2 mins it hits the max temp and starts throttling. 

image.thumb.png.d52174c128dd3d5549a5dbc7bca2e86a.png

Even when I'm working it's sitting around 60ish at 30% usage. The workload is Hyper-V. 

image.png.3056b398de18a9e7e846328c378e52a9.png

I have a push pull of 4 x Noctua NF-F12PWM all at 94% hooked up to a Corsair H100i GTX 240mm I bought in December 2015. Also have a Noctua NF-S12A PWM at 94% as an upward exhaust. 

I'm thinking the pump is f00ked, I tried multiple different fan headers and currently have it plugged into a DC fan header running at 100% power. Also tried a reseat of the thermal paste, replaced the stock Corsair paste with Noctua paste. 

Is this normal? I feel like the temps have increased since I replaced the Corsair push fans I had on there previous (just push, not push pull)

In Corsair Link or iCUE, what is your cooler temps showing under load?

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out:

https://support.corsair.com/

1 hour ago, Corsair Nick said:

In Corsair Link or iCUE, what is your cooler temps showing under load?

Thanks for the reply but I don't have the pump data USB cable attached to the mobo. 

You can actually connect a standard mini USB cable to the back of your motherboard through a standard USB port as well.  I've done this on a couple builds to double check temps and make adjustments to the pump settings.  If you're using one of our newer pro coolers, they will use a micro USB.

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out:

17 hours ago, Corsair Nick said:

It's set to extreme now, reporting a pump speed of 2900RPM. Thanks for your help! Wasn't aware the management software was so important. 

The pump alone at low level should not yield 95c.  Also IMO, please don't run Prime95 its a synthetic benchmark made to destroy the CPU.  Run Aida stability test instead.  Prime95 does things to your CPU that will never be done in real life.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

11 hours ago, Turtle Rig said:

The pump alone at low level should not yield 95c.  Also IMO, please don't run Prime95 its a synthetic benchmark made to destroy the CPU.  Run Aida stability test instead.  Prime95 does things to your CPU that will never be done in real life.

Shall use Aida now. Cheers. 

I overclocked to 4Ghz after finding the pump settings. I'm OK with the temps when using it with the extreme pump setting, it makes no noise difference as far as I can tell. 

I would have liked higher than 4Ghz, I may revisit it. 

image.thumb.png.d96ab1dc99b682467b0f0c1a300331b2.png

4 hours ago, joishw said:

Shall use Aida now. Cheers. 

I overclocked to 4Ghz after finding the pump settings. I'm OK with the temps when using it with the extreme pump setting, it makes no noise difference as far as I can tell. 

I would have liked higher than 4Ghz, I may revisit it. 

image.thumb.png.d96ab1dc99b682467b0f0c1a300331b2.png

Glad to hear.  Also how do you have the Rad / Fans installed and what speed you running at the fans at ?

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

4 hours ago, Turtle Rig said:

Glad to hear.  Also how do you have the Rad / Fans installed and what speed you running at the fans at ?

On 10/8/2018 at 10:52 AM, joishw said:

I have a push pull of 4 x Noctua NF-F12PWM all at 94% hooked up to a Corsair H100i GTX 240mm I bought in December 2015. Also have a Noctua NF-S12A PWM at 94% as an upward exhaust. 

Rad is at the front of a Corsair Air 240.

Apologies for coming back to a closed thread, but does this look right to anyone? Should there be dips in the pump RPM?

image.png.0a046fc5c02ff2573a35455381386ca3.png

And I've left the PC idling for an hour, with an interesting graphing result on the temps too. 

image.png.18f8a3103bfc0d4183b5eae85d263a6b.png

I've enabled logging for the CPU package, individual cores and the temps / pump RPM within iCUE so shall report back with those. I'll leave the system at idle overnight. 

I've returned the CPU to stock speeds, still getting highs of 64 with simple loads, (web browsing, viewing pictures and Outlook) 

image.png.28dfcf5ab3c2a433f958fffe5ba73aad.png

image.png.2c906111f714acfbfabedfe4b6d4d304.png

Wow ok, so I tapped a couple of times on the pump and....

image.thumb.png.52a658e4d83ab2120fc00495e6db9f07.png

Sounds like there may have been an air bubble trapped inside the pump.  This can happen, especially if the system has been moved or reoriented recently.  I would keep an eye on your temps just to be sure, but good to hear everything is running normal now.