Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Q: Graphics Card PCI connector?

aandril

Looking at the graphics card circuitry, and the pci connector on the card, 

There are two connections on the board of the card that is supposed to connect to the PCI - one on each side - that looks like they don't even connect.

Why is this?

2 minutes ago, Alexsolo said:

Could you provide a picture?

I cannot.

Look at any GPUs PCI. The circuitry, there is one connection on each side that isn't connected to the PCI, unlike all the others.

16 minutes ago, aandril said:

I cannot.

Look at any GPUs PCI. The circuitry, there is one connection on each side that isn't connected to the PCI, unlike all the others.

It may not actually use or need the pins. Common ones that are omitted typically are debug lines and ground lines.

5 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

It may not actually use or need the pins. Common ones that are omitted typically are debug lines and ground lines.

I suppose. But what's the point in either?

How is debugging nothing going to help? How are ground lines going to help? Just a waste of manufacturing imo

Just now, aandril said:

I suppose. But what's the point in either?

How is debugging nothing going to help? How are ground lines going to help? Just a waste of manufacturing imo

Debugging lines are helpful if you want to try to refurbish the board or something if they come back from RMA. Otherwise you can also use it to flash the firmware on the card.

Ground lines are useful because if your card is sucking a lot of power, you should definitely have an equally beefy return path.

The only reason why some cards may have it and others don't is simply a decision of if it'll actually save money having two separate manufacturing pathways or not.