Microphone not working in programs, but works with Windows "Listen to this device"

Justin_
Go to solution Solved by elpiop,

You probably checked this already, but I had a similar issue related to the setting: "Allow apps to access your microphone". I had it set to off for some reason so the mic didn't produce any sound (except when listening to the device in sound settings). 

Spoiler

image.png.013b4d45330c9ec86945e96f67571ee7.png

Hey guys, I have an issue that I have been poking at for several hours now and i'm hoping somebody can lend me some advice. At work we have a computer that is used for streaming that has these parts

Spoiler

ASUS x99/USB3.1 mobo, 6850K CPU, 16GB corsair Vengeance LPX RAM, ASUS STRIX 1070 GPU, 2X BLACKMAGIC Decklink 4K Pro 12G-SDI capture cards, Magewell Pro Capture Dual HDMI capture card, and the less important stuff, H80iV2 CPU cooler, Corsair HX850i PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD, Some random USB 3.0 AC WIFI dongle, and some (currently empty) hot swap bays.

It was built some time back in early 2017. Up until the last few weeks it has been working more or less flawlessly, but recently our XLR audio input (Focusrite Scarlett 2i2) stopped working in our streaming program (Telestream Wirecast 7.7.0). I have also attempted to use it with OBX, XSplit, and Voice Meeter and in all of the programs it shows up as an option, but never produces any sound. When I go into WIndows microphone settings and select 'Listen to this device' I can hear it just fine and it works without any issues.

So far I have tried reinstalling the 2i2 drivers, uninstalling Windows updates, rolling back Windows using system restore, checking all audio settings, reinstalling Wirecast, installing the newest (v10.X) version of wirecast, and reinstalling other audio drivers.

I also tried using the 2i2 with other computers and it worked without a problem.

At this point I removed the SSD in the system and connected a HDD. I then installed Windows using an 18 month old install USB, installed all the drivers (using old versions of drivers that were updated in the last few months), installed Wirecast 10.x, and I still had the same problem on a diffrent windows install using the original drivers I used when setting up the computer. I also tried OBS and XSplit on this install and had the same problem.

One other thing to note is that audio coming in from other sources (like the SDI and HDMI capture cards) work without any issues. So I can take the audio input from a cameras mic and use it in any programs without any issues.

At this point I don't know what to do. All the parts seem to work on there own, but they won't work together.

Any thoughts on this? Any at all?

Thanks

Please "Quote" me if you want me to see your response.

You probably checked this already, but I had a similar issue related to the setting: "Allow apps to access your microphone". I had it set to off for some reason so the mic didn't produce any sound (except when listening to the device in sound settings). 

Spoiler

Just now, elpiop said:

Reveal hidden contents

yeah but also could be that the cable for the audio disconnected.

4 minutes ago, elpiop said:

Reveal hidden contents

THAT WAS IT!!!!! WHEN DID WINDOWS ADD THIS?? HOW DID IT GET SET! AND WHY DID IT STILL NOT WORK WHEN I REINSTALLED WINDOWS!!!!!

I really don't care at this point, BUT THANK YOU SO MUCH! This is the 3rd place I have asked this question and you were the first to suggest that.

11 minutes ago, Justin_ said:

THAT WAS IT!!!!! WHEN DID WINDOWS ADD THIS?? HOW DID IT GET SET! AND WHY DID IT STILL NOT WORK WHEN I REINSTALLED WINDOWS!!!!!

I really don't care at this point, BUT THANK YOU SO MUCH! This is the 3rd place I have asked this question and you were the first to suggest that.

GG

12 minutes ago, Justin_ said:

let's just say i accepted my life as a mute for a long time before i found that god damn setting

You have no idea how happy that made me. I've been trying to get this to work on and off for the last month

Just now, elpiop said:

let's just say i accepted my life as a mute for a long time before i found that god damn setting

Lol  I had a similar issue but it turned out to be asio drivers being annoying and locking as soon as it turn on