Is my hard drive done for?

DND
Go to solution Solved by Pickles von Brine,

Yeah drive is in really rough shape. I would try to copy off data you need/want. Use something like Unstoppable Copier by Roadkil. It works really good. Point source then destination and go. If it hits a bad sector it just skips and gives you a log afterward. 

Only go after the most important data. If you have games but they can be reinstalled ignore them and only go after the save files. 

Same for important documents and stuff like that. Go after what is important then replace the disk. You could also attempt a clone of the drive but only AFTER you have grabbed the most important data to you. 

Keep in mind that even after a clone you could have damaged files, system may not boot right etc if it is a boot drive. 

Edit:

I really should expand on why the drive cannot be saved:

When a hard drive experiences a bad sector that is an area of the platter that is no longer readable. This can be caused by many things but for whatever reason that area is no longer holding a charge. In regards to the weak sectors these are areas that hold one but have a substantially less of a charge than the surrounding sectors. They will still hold onto data but only just barely. The drive during a reallocation event will attempt to read the data from the weak sectors, put those offline then remap the data to a stock of set-aside sectors given at factory. 

Unless you have the ability to force the drive to take those bad sectors and update its G-List (list of bad sectors from factory that are ignored. All drives have them due to platters not being perfect to begin with) there is no way to save the drive. Even if you could I would NEVER trust that drive for anything. This is why I don't buy refurbished drives from Seagate, WD, or any other manufacturer. 

Your best bet is to try to get the data off the failing drive you need and replace it. If you have to reinstall the OS it is what it is. Same for downloading any games. 

@DND Hope this clears things up. 

So hey guys iv'e been experiencing massive stuttering in games even with a clean install of windows and i experience sudden freezes on my pc and i think i have found the reason. I downloaded HD sentinel to check my storage drives health and iv'e found out that my hard disk health is very low so just wanna ask is my hard drive really done for? Is there no other ways to save my hard drive? 

Capture.PNG

Spoiler

PC: CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X @ Curve optimzer -25,  Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black, Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix B500-F Gaming WiFi II, GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7800XT @ Stock , RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16GB DDR4 3600Mhz CL18, HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB, SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | Team Group MP33 1TB NVME, Case: NZXT H7 Flow Black, PSU: NZXT C1200  I Peripherals: Keyboard: Ducky Shine 6 RGB Special Edition, Mouse: Razer Orochi V2, Headset: Philips SHP9500, Mousepad: Glorious Stealth Extended I Laptop: MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro CPU: i7-6700HQ@ 2.6ghz, GPU: GTX 1060, Memory: 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz, HDD: 1TB+128GB SSD

3 minutes ago, DND said:

So hey guys iv'e been experiencing massive stuttering in games even with a clean install of windows and i experience sudden freezes on my pc and i think i have found the reason. I downloaded HD sentinel to check my storage drives health and iv'e found out that my hard disk health is very low so just wanna ask is my hard drive really done for? Is there no other ways to save my hard drive? 

Capture.PNG

Not much you can do to save a HDD if it is showing signs of failing / bad sectors.

I would not use the PC / HDD much until you can get a replacement HDD.

At 5% health, I don't know if it will survive a full data mirror / back-up / copy -- hard to say.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Just now, -rascal- said:

Not much you can do to save a HDD if it is showing signs of failing / bad sectors.

I would not use the PC / HDD much until you can get a replacement HDD.

At 5% health, I don't know if it will survive a full data mirror / back-up / copy -- hard to say.

I see, I think Iv'e solved the stuttering on one of my games by moving it to my SSD to see if the stuttering was gone and so far so good. I don't that much important files other than my games are on this hd.

Spoiler

PC: CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X @ Curve optimzer -25,  Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black, Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix B500-F Gaming WiFi II, GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7800XT @ Stock , RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16GB DDR4 3600Mhz CL18, HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB, SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | Team Group MP33 1TB NVME, Case: NZXT H7 Flow Black, PSU: NZXT C1200  I Peripherals: Keyboard: Ducky Shine 6 RGB Special Edition, Mouse: Razer Orochi V2, Headset: Philips SHP9500, Mousepad: Glorious Stealth Extended I Laptop: MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro CPU: i7-6700HQ@ 2.6ghz, GPU: GTX 1060, Memory: 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz, HDD: 1TB+128GB SSD

6 minutes ago, DND said:

I see, I think Iv'e solved the stuttering on one of my games by moving it to my SSD to see if the stuttering was gone and so far so good. I don't that much important files other than my games are on this hd.

Alot of games have saved content that are created when you play the game. Check a "saved" folder for anything you might want or google it. I know with ARK: Survival Evolved the whole map is a save thing and it can take hours to refill it in.

Current Gaming build:

Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800x
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Taichi

Memory: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000mhz 15-17-17-35

Graphics Card: Geforce RTX 2080

Graphics Card Cooler: EVGA XC Ultra Gaming
Storage: 500GB Samsung 860 EVO, 1TB Western Digital Blue
PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750W
Case: Corsair 460x Black
Case Cooling: A mix and match of fans ?
Peripherals:

Monitor: HP 27ea
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 SE
Mouse: Corsair Glaive Black
Headphones: Corsair HS60
Microphone: Blue Snowball Black Edition

"Gaming" Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro Mid-2012 with Nvidia Geforce Now

Yeah drive is in really rough shape. I would try to copy off data you need/want. Use something like Unstoppable Copier by Roadkil. It works really good. Point source then destination and go. If it hits a bad sector it just skips and gives you a log afterward. 

Only go after the most important data. If you have games but they can be reinstalled ignore them and only go after the save files. 

Same for important documents and stuff like that. Go after what is important then replace the disk. You could also attempt a clone of the drive but only AFTER you have grabbed the most important data to you. 

Keep in mind that even after a clone you could have damaged files, system may not boot right etc if it is a boot drive. 

Edit:

When a hard drive experiences a bad sector that is an area of the platter that is no longer readable. This can be caused by many things but for whatever reason that area is no longer holding a charge. In regards to the weak sectors these are areas that hold one but have a substantially less of a charge than the surrounding sectors. They will still hold onto data but only just barely. The drive during a reallocation event will attempt to read the data from the weak sectors, put those offline then remap the data to a stock of set-aside sectors given at factory. 

Unless you have the ability to force the drive to take those bad sectors and update its G-List (list of bad sectors from factory that are ignored. All drives have them due to platters not being perfect to begin with) there is no way to save the drive. Even if you could I would NEVER trust that drive for anything. This is why I don't buy refurbished drives from Seagate, WD, or any other manufacturer. 

Your best bet is to try to get the data off the failing drive you need and replace it. If you have to reinstall the OS it is what it is. Same for downloading any games. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

On 10/8/2018 at 10:05 AM, Lord Xeb said:

Edit:

Thanks for the detailed explanation. The drive is only for mass storage and for games cause i don't have money to buy a large ssd. I'll just try and copy the needed files and replace it maybe in a week or two i'll buy a new drive I might get a 2TB WD black. Hopefully i can copy all the needed files before it really gives in. For now I'll just use my laptop to play games and do school works don't want to keep using the pc and risk the drive dying on me before i copy all my important files.

Edit: BTW can you give any advice/tips on preserving my disk's health?

Spoiler

5 hours ago, DND said:

Thanks for the detailed explanation. The drive is only for mass storage and for games cause i don't have money to buy a large ssd. I'll just try and copy the needed files and replace it maybe in a week or two i'll buy a new drive I might get a 2TB WD black. Hopefully i can copy all the needed files before it really gives in. For now I'll just use my laptop to play games and do school works don't want to keep using the pc and risk the drive dying on me before i copy all my important files.

Edit: BTW can you give any advice/tips on preserving my disk's health?

There really is not much you can do other than getting your data off. Think of it this way. If your engine is knocking and smoking can you stop it from getting worse? Generally not. You have to get your car where you need to go and stop using it. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

4 hours ago, Lord Xeb said:

There really is not much you can do other than getting your data off. Think of it this way. If your engine is knocking and smoking can you stop it from getting worse? Generally not. You have to get your car where you need to go and stop using it. 

I see , Thanks again mate.

Spoiler