Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Steam installs game twice

I bought a game on steam and downloaded it overnight on my laptop (Because my PC is too loud to leave on overnight) and when he download was done, I transferred the files over to my PC.

Steam did the usual thing, 'checking for game files', but then when it had discovered everything, steam decided to forget that the game even existed and started the download again.

This is really frustrating because I just want to play the damn game.

Make sure you transferred all the game files to the correct location on your PC. And make sure steam is completely killed in task manager before doing so. 

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

The install is customized to your PC. To transfer a game you have to copy all the files but delete the main exe then verify the game and steam will replace just the missing exe and it will work.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2018 at 3:31 AM, keskparane said:

The install is customized to your PC. To transfer a game you have to copy all the files but delete the main exe then verify the game and steam will replace just the missing exe and it will work.

I've found that it is not even necessary to wipe the exe, just doing the verification after the file transfer usually does it. However, there are some games that Steam needs to re-install in its entirety, even after the verification is passed (XCom2 comes to mind)