laptop scapyard wars...?

i'd love to see a laptop version of scrapyard wars. 

rules: 

• budget US$1000
  • budget only includes laptop and charger
  • in the case of a MacBook the games will be run on Windows to keep it fair

judging criteria:

• gaming (usual benchmarks + an esports title like OVerwatch)
  • video export speed
  • looks
  • acoustics
  • display quality

She/Her

Would be fun if they had to do something stupid like water cool it or something.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

Would be fun if they had to do something stupid like water cool it or something.

nah, it needs to be usable in the real world. 

She/Her

18 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i'd love to see a laptop version of scrapyard wars. 

rules: 

• budget US$1000
  • budget only includes laptop and charger
  • in the case of a MacBook the games will be run on Windows to keep it fair

judging criteria:

• gaming (usual benchmarks + an esports title like OVerwatch)
  • video export speed
  • looks
  • acoustics
  • display quality

There would be no suspense laptops are an all in one solution so they would literally just buy a laptop and be done. Nice idea though I think it would be cool to see them do something different personally I'd like to see a server edition.

edit: there would be no careful budgeting trying to get all the parts to fit in the budget.

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

While this would be (meh) interesting, I think having to find a laptop under a set price would be much more restricting than finding desktop parts. My idea for this would be to find low profile parts meant to go in a desktop, but turn it all into a stupidly large laptop and be graded on how well it can be used in daily tasks. I think it would be funny to see how crappy their craftmanship skills are, having to make a cover for all the components and to get the screen to connect with the body.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

1 minute ago, moderategamer said:

There would be no suspense laptops are an all in one solution so they would literally just buy a laptop and be done. Nice idea though I think it would be cool to see them do something different personally I'd like to see a server edition.

The laptop used market is a lot worse than you'd think, I never see good laptops for good prices. Plus the whole point of Scrapyard Wars is that it has to be used, so they can't just go to Canada Computers or something and buy a laptop.

A server edition would be cool, but how would they benchmark them?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, moderategamer said:

not necessarily. i'm talking upgrading the ram, storage and some laptops have socketed cpu's. 

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

The laptop used market is a lot worse than you'd think, I never see good laptops for good prices. Plus the whole point of Scrapyard Wars is that it has to be used, so they can't just go to Canada Computers or something and buy a laptop.

exactly. you can get good laptops used, but usually nowhere near you. but shipping products in scrapyard wars is on another level of cheating...

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

depends. if you get something like an HP Proliant ML350 G(insert number) you can get those in tower form. you can technically use that as a desktop pc... a big loud one but you can do it. 

She/Her

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

yeah the point I'm doing a terrible job of getting across is that half the fun of scrapyard wars is the careful budgeting like can I get this PSU and this GPU or should we get the cheaper ram etc. Whereas with a laptop they would literally just find the best laptop they could get at a price range as it's the only thing they need to buy. Basically it's a one stop shop. I can only see them getting one maybe two episodes out of that.

As far as the server they could benchmark it with render tests in modelling software's (basically who can get the highest core count) or even gaming as I would still be expecting them to add a GPU as part of the challenge. 

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

depends. if you get something like an HP Proliant ML350 G(insert number) you can get those in tower form. you can technically use that as a desktop pc... a big loud one but you can do it. 

They're only loud if you don't have ECC memory for them. I have an ML330 G6 that flips out if I don't have ECC installed. With ECC memory installed, it's about as loud as my main rig.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

They're only loud if you don't have ECC memory for them. I have an ML330 G6 that flips out if I don't have ECC installed. With ECC memory installed, it's about as loud as my main rig.

i also have a G6. it's loud because of a broken temperature sensor :(... i've modified the cooling to make it quieter, but it still thinks it's overheating and is therefore unreliable... 

i own a G5 too which is my file server, and that thing is decently quiet. not excellent but it's okay. 

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

i also have a G6. it's loud because of a broken temperature sensor :(... i've modified the cooling to make it quieter, but it still thinks it's overheating and is therefore unreliable... 

i own a G5 too which is my file server, and that thing is decently quiet. not excellent but it's okay. 

I'd like to see if I can upgrade this to manage a few different tasks, but we'll see.

I've got plans for a media server, file server, and a Minecraft server so I guess I'd have to see how much I can run off of one tower. Potentially via virtualization, but I'd have to look into a bit.

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

I'd like to see if I can upgrade this to manage a few different tasks, but we'll see.

I've got plans for a media server, file server, and a Minecraft server so I guess I'd have to see how much I can run off of one tower. Potentially via virtualization, but I'd have to look into a bit.

i've ran my G6 with 2 X5650's before with no issues. that'll give you 12 core's and 24 threads :) 

She/Her

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

i've ran my G6 with 2 X5650's before with no issues. that'll give you 12 core's and 24 threads :) 

That's on my list. I'd need a new board, but dual CPU server boards are surprisingly cheap on Ebay, along with 16GB ECC sticks.

What about instead of laptops, maybe having a performance per watt...though that could be boring not sure how that would pertain to gaming.

Or who can build the most portable gaming PC out of used parts. Fit a PC into a backpack or something...though that could be another very labor intensive build like the water cooling PCs were.

Or maybe scrapyard wars Halloween theme where the team builds the best gaming PC they can out of used parts but it has to fit into an RGB jack-o-lantern...though it is way too late for that. Maybe Linus could just build a PC into a Halloween decoration for LTT channel.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

I think it would be really cool, but not in the way OP describes.
Just regular scrapyard wars, except laptop edition. Buy a used laptop, find new and better storage, ram, cooling, etc.
They could even buy a very old very bulky laptop, gut it, and put an entirely new PC inside and connect all the connections so it still works as a laptop.