Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Balancing air pressure inside the case?

Hey guys, so I'm currently working on my new build and I'm using the Corsair 275R case. I've never really paid attention to airflow before so I don't know what conventional logic says about it but I just want to run this by some of you guys and hear whether my setup is acceptable.

My current setup is the following
-I have a 280mm radiator on the front of the case, with two 140mm ML140 Pro high status pressure fans pulling cool air through the a dust filter and through the radiator.

-Also have 3 120mm exhausting air, 1 from the back, two at the top

So I was wondering, is this a balanced approach?

And also, I have some silverstone PWM fan hub, if I hook up the 3 case fans to it and plug the hub's 4pin to a PWM header, will it dynamically control the non-PWM fans with DC voltage or is that not possible?

Cheers

If you want positive airflow, run your intakes at a higher rpm than your exhausts. Finding a good balance can require some testing. 

You need 4pin pwm fans for any pwm control to work from the hub. 3pin fans don't have the 4th pin or onboard ic to modulate the incoming 12v signal from the hub and would just run at 100% rpm. What motherboard and case fans do you have?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

5 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

If you want positive airflow, run your intakes at a higher rpm than your exhausts. Finding a good balance can require some testing. 

You need 4pin pwm fans for any pwm control to work from the hub. 3pin fans don't have the 4th pin or onboard ic to modulate the incoming 12v signal from the hub and would just run at 100% rpm. What motherboard and case fans do you have?

I gather that positive airflow is desirable?

I don't have the motherboard yet, I'm waiting for Z390 and 9900k. The 3 case fans I use are "Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition" and I'd like for them to live up to the "Quiet" label that's in the title especially when the system is idle. So I guess I can't control them with PWM, but can I manually slow them down with software?

Cheers

Just now, Bynming said:

I gather that positive airflow is desirable?

I don't have the motherboard yet, I'm waiting for Z390 and 9900k. The 3 case fans I use are "Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition" and I'd like for them to live up to the "Quiet" label that's in the title especially when the system is idle. So I guess I can't control them with PWM, but can I manually slow them down with software?

Positive airflow is useful for keeping dust from accumulating from inside the case when using filters but that's about it. Negative / Neutral / Positive pressure doesn't in and of itself make any difference for cooling performance. 

Most newer motherboards have the option to control fans with either pwm or dc so you can probably plug the AF120 QE's into the motherboard's fan headers.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

Positive airflow is useful for keeping dust from accumulating from inside the case when using filters but that's about it. Negative / Neutral / Positive pressure doesn't in and of itself make any difference for cooling performance

Most newer motherboards have the option to control fans with either pwm or dc so you can probably plug the AF120 QE's into the motherboard's fan headers.

Sounds good. For cable management reasons though I got my little silverstone fan hub (https://www.amazon.ca/SilverStone-Technology-All-Black-CPF04/dp/B00VNW556I) and taped behind the motherboard tray, and I plugged all 3 case fans into it. If I take the 4-pin PWM header of the silverstone, should I be able to control the 3 case fans by DC through the PWM fan hub?

Ideally I would rather avoid to have to route 3 fan cables over the motherboard so it would be quite handy if it worked.

1 minute ago, Bynming said:

should I be able to control the 3 case fans by DC through the PWM fan hub?

No.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

No.

The pain I feel is indescribable.

Alright then I'll figure something out, thanks!