Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

X470 Motherboard Choices

 Share

Hello,

 

This is my first time building a PC so please correct me if I am wrong and suggest better options.

 

I am looking to get a Ryzen 2700X with an X470 motherboard. I already have an RX 580 which I used for external graphics on a Mac. At some point I will replace it or get a second if that is a good option.

 

RAM: Sniper X 3200MHz (16GB x 2) https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232709&ignorebbr=1. I will start with one set and get a second later on for a total of 64GB. Is this RAM good? Is it true that due to latency 3600MHz will actually be slower?

 

I want to boot from NVMe M.2. Should it be done with RAID 0 or a single drive? Will all x470s be able to do RAID?

 

What are your opinions on the different X470 motherboards? Ive heard the MISI boards are not as good. What are the benefits of getting something like ASRock Taichi Ultimate or ASUS Crosshair VII Hero compared to a $100 or $150 board?

 

Thanks for any help

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, tbertin said:

Hello,

 

This is my first time building a PC so please correct me if I am wrong and suggest better options.

 

I am looking to get a Ryzen 2700X with an X470 motherboard. I already have an RX 580 which I used for external graphics on a Mac. At some point I will replace it or get a second if that is a good option.

 

RAM: Sniper X 3200MHz (16GB x 2) https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232709&ignorebbr=1. I will start with one set and get a second later on for a total of 64GB. Is this RAM good? Is it true that due to latency 3600MHz will actually be slower?

 

I want to boot from NVMe M.2. Should it be done with RAID 0 or a single drive? Will all x470s be able to do RAID?

 

What are your opinions on the different X470 motherboards? Ive heard the MISI boards are not as good. What are the benefits of getting something like ASRock Taichi Ultimate or ASUS Crosshair VII Hero compared to a $100 or $150 board?

 

Thanks for any help

When getting a new motherboard please use pcpartpicker.com 

This way you can check compatibility and not have any issues.

The board is fully compatible but the question is are you planing to sli?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Lordclouds said:

When getting a new motherboard please use pcpartpicker.com 

This way you can check compatibility and not have any issues.

The board is fully compatible but the question is are you planing to sli?

also can you list out every component that you think you are going to get this way we can work around a good motherboard for your needs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Lordclouds said:

When getting a new motherboard please use pcpartpicker.com 

This way you can check compatibility and not have any issues.

The board is fully compatible but the question is are you planing to sli?

Thanks I will check out pcpartpicker. I thought all x470s were compatible with SLI. Unless it makes sense to do SLI or Crossfire I will replace my GPU when the time comes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, tbertin said:

Thanks I will check out pcpartpicker. I thought all x470s were compatible with SLI. Unless it makes sense to do SLI or Crossfire I will replace my GPU when the time comes.

make sure they mention it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

21 minutes ago, Lordclouds said:

also can you list out every component that you think you are going to get this way we can work around a good motherboard for your needs

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Lordclouds said:

perfect let me check it

are you overclocking anything ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Lordclouds said:

are you overclocking anything ?

I have never done it before but I would like to try.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, tbertin said:

The Ryzen 7 comes with a cooler. Do you suggest I get a different one?

It does but if you are overclocking you need an aftermarket cooler which i already added on the list

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Lordclouds said:

It does but if you are overclocking you need an aftermarket cooler which i already added on the list

Ok thank you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, tbertin said:

Ok thank you. 

This rig is guaranteed to set you up for gaming and work at the same time

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

@tbertin Overclocking a 2700X isn't worth doing unless you have a golden chip.  The odds are you will do better with PBO2 and XFR2.  With that said -- the Crosshair VII has the best "overclocking" solution, that I have seen, with its Performance Enhancer Levels.  There is a der8auer video outlining them that will explain.  Also, you are going to want Samsung b-die RAM if you're looking to overclock.  You won't get the best speeds with all RAM slots populated, but b-die RAM will allow you to get the tightest timings possible.  

 

And if you're going to buy a different air cooler don't waste money unless it's super beefy.  Something affordable will simply be a lateral move and not provide a better solution than the stock Wraith Prism cooler.  Going AIO is the easiest and more affordable option when you're looking at performance per dollar.  

AMD Ryzen 3900X  |  Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 3600CL15 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-16-14-14-34  |  EVGA 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black w/NZXT Kraken G12 Cooler  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, nick name said:

@tbertin Overclocking a 2700X isn't worth doing unless you have a golden chip.  The odds are you will do better with PBO2 and XFR2.  With that said -- the Crosshair VII has the best "overclocking" solution, that I have seen, with its Performance Enhancer Levels.  There is a der8auer video outlining them that will explain.  Also, you are going to want Samsung b-die RAM if you're looking to overclock.  You won't get the best speeds with all RAM slots populated, but b-die RAM will allow you to get the tightest timings possible.  

 

And if you're going to buy a different air cooler don't waste money unless it's super beefy.  Something affordable will simply be a lateral move and not provide a better solution than the stock Wraith Prism cooler.  Going AIO is the easiest and more affordable option when you're looking at performance per dollar.  

Thanks for the info. I'll go without overclocking. Will the RAM be slowed down having all slots populated or just less ability to overclock?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, tbertin said:

Thanks for the info. I'll go without overclocking. Will the RAM be slowed down having all slots populated or just less ability to overclock?

The Ryzen IMC doesn't seem to be able to handle speeds faster than 3200MHz with 4 dimms populated or when using multiple dual rank dimms.  This is from what I've seen reported from users on other forums that have been reporting their speeds.  So after seeing that I wouldn't recommend buying RAM rated at speeds much higher than 3200MHz and expecting to reach it.  And I still strongly recommend Samsung b-die if you want to play the RAM overclock game in the sense of shooting for lower RAM timings.  

AMD Ryzen 3900X  |  Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 3600CL15 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-16-14-14-34  |  EVGA 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black w/NZXT Kraken G12 Cooler  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, nick name said:

The Ryzen IMC doesn't seem to be able to handle speeds faster than 3200MHz with 4 dimms populated or when using multiple dual rank dimms.  This is from what I've seen reported from users on other forums that have been reporting their speeds.  So after seeing that I wouldn't recommend buying RAM rated at speeds much higher than 3200MHz and expecting to reach it.  And I still strongly recommend Samsung b-die if you want to play the RAM overclock game in the sense of shooting for lower RAM timings.  

Are either of these b-die?

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/wWc48d/gskill-sniper-x-32gb-2-x-16gb-ddr4-3200-memory-f4-3200c16d-32gsxkb

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/VcTrxr/gskill-memory-f43200c16s16gvk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, tbertin said:

A good quick way to identify b-die is all the teen numbers matching.  This works for 3600MHz or less.  So 14-14-14- or 15-15-15 or 16-16-16.  Also this site:

https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/

 

AMD Ryzen 3900X  |  Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 3600CL15 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-16-14-14-34  |  EVGA 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black w/NZXT Kraken G12 Cooler  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×