1080p 144Hz vs 1440p 75Hz

JorenBus

I have a RX 580 (4GB), so I'm kinda worried that my GPU will struggle with 1440p gaming.

You should also know that I'll graduate in less than a year, so I'm not really sure if 144Hz is worth it, since I won't be gaming much anymore in the near future.

Currently I use my computer mainly for just about anything (Facebook, Reddit, YouTube, Netflix, Word, Powerpoint,...), however lately I don't really game that much anymore.

What do you recommend?

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

9 minutes ago, JorenBus said:

You should also know that I'll graduate in less than a year, so I'm not really sure if 144Hz is worth it, since I won't be gaming much anymore in the near future.

Currently I use my computer mainly for just about anything (Facebook, Reddit, YouTube, Netflix, Word, Powerpoint,...), however lately I don't really game that much anymore.

What do you recommend? 

If your current monitor is working, and assuming 1080p 60hz, then keep that.

If I had to choose between the two options, and if your main tasks are word processing and web browsing, then 1440p might be the better choice between the two just to give you more real estate space to work with on the screen.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

27 minutes ago, Spotty said:

If your current monitor is working, and assuming 1080p 60hz, then keep that.

If I had to choose between the two options, and if your main tasks are word processing and web browsing, then 1440p might be the better choice between the two just to give you more real estate space to work with on the screen.

Well the thing is that I had some problems with my 3-year-old monitor, which was 1080p 60Hz. 

Long story short, the company I bought it with will refund me the original price of the monitor, which was €189, if I send my monitor back.

So I HAVE to buy a new monitor, I'm just doubting between the two.

I'm also afraid that my GPU won't be able to handle 1440p gaming.

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

Just now, JorenBus said:

I'm also afraid that my GPU won't be able to handle 1440p gaming.

You set the resolution in the game settings, so if it struggles gaming at the monitors native resolution of 1440p then just set it to 1080p.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, Spotty said:

You set the resolution in the game settings, so if it struggles gaming at the monitors native resolution of 1440p then just set it to 1080p.

Alright, but doesn't that mean that the game will look bad?