What is this? EMC2 Corp X1E+

Hi, I've bought a rack cabinet and the guy that sold me that included this massive thing filled with hdds. I want to use it as an offsite copy of a nas I have at home but I don't know where to start with it. Apparently there's no monitor out and the infos online are very few. Does anyone know anything about this thing?

I'm attaching two pics of the labels that are on it and I will post more pictures once I get back to the office tomorrow.

Thanks!

IMG_6547.JPG

IMG_6548.JPG

It's a SAN server from what I remember.

It should have two controllers on the back with VGA ports but keep in mind that it uses FC so you'll need to Fibre Channel capable switch too.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

And here are the modules that I have. How do I hook this up to a network? The VGA port is not a real VGA, pins don't match.

WhatsApp Image 2018-10-08 at 11.58.27.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-10-08 at 11.58.30.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-10-08 at 12.02.37.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-10-08 at 12.02.50.jpeg

You can't connect it to a monitor, as it's not a full server but a glorified networked disk shelf. It can be managed through an ethernet port on the back. It's probably the port next to FE1.

To access the storage itself, you'll need fibre channel hardware and cables. If you don't it's probably better to just pull all disks out and throw it away. FC is not a cheap hobby at all, and with FCoE these days, it's not really practical anymore either.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Copy that. Just for experimenting and fiddling around, do you have any clue on how I can configure the system to be accessible and managed thru that eth port?

Thanks for the reply btw

4 hours ago, jacoporicci said:

Copy that. Just for experimenting and fiddling around, do you have any clue on how I can configure the system to be accessible and managed thru that eth port?

Thanks for the reply btw

ethernet is just for management.

All data is over fibre channel.

Really this is old tech, you probably aren't setup to use it.

Those vga like ports are serial, and used for management.

These are alot of fun. But i believe Electronics Wizardy are right. You're not gone use that without the control box. This looks like an expansion module to me very alike the EXP that IBM has for the DS series. It's more or less useless without the "Controller" box from my knowledge.

Anyways this is what i could find online about it, perhaps it'll give you some other information that you might want.

https://www1.la.dell.com/la/en/corp/enterprise/pvaul_cx300/pd.aspx?refid=pvaul_cx300&s=corp

https://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pvaul/en/cx300_specsheet.pdf

Nice, thanks guys.

So, let's say I wanna embark in this journey and try to find a fibre channel card for cheap to access the storage. Is it completely insane as a plan?

Has anyone have any clue on how to access the management console?

Cheers

8 hours ago, jacoporicci said:

Nice, thanks guys.

So, let's say I wanna embark in this journey and try to find a fibre channel card for cheap to access the storage. Is it completely insane as a plan?

Has anyone have any clue on how to access the management console?

Cheers

Do you have a system with serial?

Id plug in the ethernet and see if it appears on your network

But really, its old and basically useless for almost all.

On 10/9/2018 at 8:27 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

But really, its old and basically useless for almost all.

Yeah, even the drives are old 146Gig SAS disks. Not that useful anymore these days. In its entirety, it's basically scrap.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

On 10/12/2018 at 8:28 AM, NelizMastr said:

Yeah, even the drives are old 146Gig SAS disks. Not that useful anymore these days. In its entirety, it's basically scrap.

Got it! I'll try and sell individual parts on ebay for real cheap then