What language should I choose?

Equinoxe

I was wonder from you all people that what would be a good language to use to get a sucessful INDIE game up and running? I heard LUA, but people said there is better. I wanted your opinion on what to use, and where to get lessons to learn, and to touch up more.

Thanks for the help!

~Equinoxe

I was wonder from you all people that what would be a good language to use to get a sucessful INDIE game up and running? I heard LUA, but people said there is better. I wanted your opinion on what to use, and where to get lessons to learn, and to touch up more.

Thanks for the help!

~Equinoxe

Try searching, there are many threads on this topic already.

Like these 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41150-good-first-language/

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/95863-what-would-be-best-programming-language-for-me/\

http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/20-programming-software-design/

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/77420-learning-a-new-language/

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53665-what-language-should-i-use/

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/45902-best-language-for-space-invaders/

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/10575-best-beginner-programming-language/page-2

And more...

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald

That highly depends on the languages you already know - so tell us :D

MB: MSI Z77A-GD55 | CPU: Intel i5-2500k @ 4.5 GHz | RAM: 8GB Kingston DDR3 @1333MHz | GPU: Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II 

Monitor: 22" Samsung SyncMaster B2230H @60Hz | Audio: Creative Aurvana Live! | PSU: SuperFlower 80+ Gold 550 Watt 

OS: ArchLinux + KDE / Windows 8 Pro 64bit | Smartphone: Nexus 4 16GB - CM11

I'd highly suggest C and then C++ afterward...

for more info as to why... see my post in this thread

Lua is a great scripting language but I would see it as an additional language to use to complement another.

You need something that is either equipped with the speed/power for engine development, or has a library of tools for more game development, less engine programming.

Python has a lot of free libraries to use such as PyGame that will get you started quickly and Python is a great language to get you started. It's written in C so moving onto C and C++ would be a great step afterwards.

Java is also a great possibility as there would be an abundance of game dev. resources available.

Lua is a great scripting language but I would see it as an additional language to use to complement another.

You need something that is either equipped with the speed/power for engine development, or has a library of tools for more game development, less engine programming.

Python has a lot of free libraries to use such as PyGame that will get you started quickly and Python is a great language to get you started. It's written in C so moving onto C and C++ would be a great step afterwards.

Java is also a great possibility as there would be an abundance of game dev. resources available.

So your saying, that Python will be the best to get into C++ programming eh'? Well, good thing is, that I really want to get into C++, so yeah, Python might help! Thanks!

So your saying, that Python will be the best to get into C++ programming eh'? Well, good thing is, that I really want to get into C++, so yeah, Python might help! Thanks!

No. Python and C++ are like the 2 complete opposites of the programming world. If your goal is to learn C++ but don't want to start with C/C++, go with Java or C#;

Also Python isn't really suited for gamedevery, even though it has libraries for it the performance just isn't there. C, C++, Java and C# are all fine for games and have much better libraries than Python for games.

C++ or Java.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

What do you want the game to support? do you wan't to have better gfx 3D models or do you want to have a simple 2D overhead game which doesn't require a crazy gpu? Do you wan't to have multi platform support or do you want to focus on one platform right now and learn while porting it to other platforms?

Not entirely. I just mean that eventually, games tend to be written in C++, with languages like Python being used inside the engine to program the gameplay, or AI for example. Python is just a good start for general programming. For C/C++ syntax, Java would probably be better to start with.

Not entirely. I just mean that eventually, games tend to be written in C++, with languages like Python being used inside the engine to program the gameplay, or AI for example. Python is just a good start for general programming. For C/C++ syntax, Java would probably be better to start with.

Python can also be used for server side programming and most python methods can pretty much be executed with a GET requested

In a group project of a complex nature one must take into consideration the availability of project and programming tools. One should also look at ease of maintenance. Some languages do not lend themselves to large multi-person projects. Some languages present difficulties when it comes to debugging and patching.

In an indie situation one should also take into account the general popularity of a language. It is pointless to pick the most powerful game authoring language if only one or two people know it. The quality of output has to suffer if most contributors are learning the language while writing submissions.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.