a Pixel 3 XL was found in Hong Kong, ahead of the Google event

A mobile phone store in Hong Kong was able to get a functioning Pixel 3 XL ahead of its announcement. Tech media in Hong Kong like Eprice.HK, RingHK.com, and Unwire.HK was able to get a hold of the phone for a while, and published their unboxing articles.

20181005_pixel3xl_01.jpg.9ef93125f6ac4672646b95327e4f4dbb.jpg

(Photo Credit: RingHK.com)

The spec of the phone is close to the rumors. Here is the spec summarized from those unboxing articles:

-s845 processor, 4GB ram,128GB storage

-color: "Just Black"

20181005_pixel3xl_03.jpg.55b2c7b3acb3817cc14b9ced935d762d.jpg

(Photo Credit: RingHK.com)

-main camera is a 12MP, F1.8 camera, no dual lens (or more),  8MP front camera (dual lens?)

DSC06494-694x391.jpg.69f54f4a1bba175670591586b163239e.jpg DSC06481-694x391.jpg.484315888364ffa3377a053a335b2d57.jpg

(Photo credit: Unwire.HK)

-6.3" 2960x1440 OLED screen (not yet confirm if it is AMOLED or P-OLED)

-no headphone jack, speakers integrated with earphones and speakerphones

-USB-C ver. of Pixel Buds, USB-C to headphone jack dongle, OTG dongle, and a 9V/2A charger was found in the box

20181005_pixel3xl_04.jpg.d0489cd91bc228c48e963dd7f0a8e518.jpg

(Photo credit: RingHK.com)

-Android 9.0 Pie , with Active Edge (squeeze the edge)

20181005_pixel3xl_s01.thumb.jpg.f20b95974e60cdf48648b4f2ea493856.jpg20181005_pixel3xl_s04.thumb.jpg.263d26833eadf2342b951a292b44fb05.jpgkeithyim_3_da341b3371ab928e600e68f7ced47276.jpg.3367e7035f3702b9348c77aee6f8a181.jpg 

(Photo credit: RingHK.com and ePrice.HK)

-Single Sim, with a fingerprint sensor at the back, and support wireless charging

DSC06615.jpg.b058d78e771f225e43a12ff8659740fb.jpg

(Photo credit: Unwire.HK)

It is still unknown if this Pixel 3 XL is an engineering sample, or it is a retail product. In some article it was mentioned that this phone is now selling for over HKD$15000. This should be the speculative price/resale price, rather than the retail price, as there is only one phone at this moment. You can find camera samples, benchmark scores, and more in these articles.

ePrice.com.hk's article (in Chinese):

https://www.eprice.com.hk/mobile/talk/4541/211574/1/

Unwire.hk's articles (in Chinese)

https://unwire.hk/2018/10/05/google-pixel-xl-3-price-15880/mobile-phone/

https://unwire.hk/2018/10/05/google-pixel-3-xl-detail-review/review-2/

Ringhk's articles (in Chinese)

http://www.ringhk.com/news/水機報價-貴過-iphone-xs-max-google-pixel-xl-3-天價偷跑到港

http://www.ringhk.com/catallst_prod/index/act/news2/cid/1/iid/17572/lng/1

9to5Google's article about this leaked device in Hong Kong

https://9to5google.com/2018/10/05/pixel-3-xl-retail-box-leaked/

*update on 07102018: Engadget also posted their hands-on article and video of this leaked device in Hong Kong...

https://www.engadget.com/2018/10/06/google-pixel-3-xl-hong-kong-leak-hands-on-video/

Still looks like a cheaply made iPhone ripoff. At least the Nexus line looked like Kyocera clones.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Ugliest grandma notch ever.

I REALLY wanted a Pixel 3 XL this year, like waiting for this almost since the Pixel 2 dropped.

But honestly not gonna spend a single cent on this abomination.

Apple can burn in hell for "inventing" this. And Google can burn right next to them for not just copying it, but making it even more ugly.

Just,... god. No.

3 minutes ago, Tech Enthusiast said:

Ugliest grandma notch ever.

I REALLY wanted a Pixel 3 XL this year, like waiting for this almost since the Pixel 2 dropped.

But honestly not gonna spend a single cent on this abomination.

Apple can burn in hell for "inventing" this. And Google can burn right next to them for not just copying it, but making it even more ugly.

Just,... god. No.

Get a Pixel 3 then. Allegedly has no notch, although a smaller screen. 

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

Kinda on the fence about that one. On the one hand, I want to, but I really want to vote with my wallet for once. Pretty close to being a serious google fanboy myself, but this turns me off so much, I don't want them to get my money for this abomination, even if the cheaper version is fine. Want the big screen tbh. Hate small screens. ?

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

This will never happen again. Not sure why people keep getting up in arms about it. 

Lower end phones still have it.

Just now, EPENEX said:

Lower end phones still have it.

How low end are you talking? Even pocophone doesnt have it and its plastic. 

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

How low end are you talking? Even pocophone doesnt have it and its plastic. 

I bought an Alcatel for $35 about a year ago and it has a removable battery.

4 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

This will never happen again. Not sure why people keep getting up in arms about it. 

I still have my LG V20. Works like a champ and I use multiple batteries often with no intention of upgrading anytime soon. I know people like me are in the minority now, but I could care less about waterproofing and "seamless" designs. Almost everyone puts their slick expensive phone in a decent case anyway so the design of phones is just pure marketing. The V20 is a great example (from a design standpoint) of a phone that can look nice and have a removable battery.

2 minutes ago, Jackson said:

Almost everyone puts their slick expensive phone in a decent case anyway so the design of phones is just pure marketing

I dont buy a phone for sleek looks or glass backs because or cases. 

Yes, removing your battery is a huge advantage as replacing it in some is a pain in the ass and most upgrade because their battery has gone to shit. I want it back but have faced reality that it isnt 

Well, never had a battery turn bad on me before I updated my phone. So THAT one is not an issue. Have I mentioned the Notch tho? Look at it! It looks bigger than some of the smaller phones!

3 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Whatever happened to the days of actual fucking buttons and the lack of a notch?

I am glad buttons are gone. Notch should have never been a thing though

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

Isn't it to keep the camera or speaker on the front of this phone?

What was wrong with just having it the old way? You know, the not ugly one?

They could have just moved away from the speakers and halved the notch.

Make a raindrop notch like the sexy phones nowadays. Or... you know... innovate and just not have a notch at all!

Plenty of ways to not have a notch. Seriously, I can't express how ugly it is and how much I hate the trend.

Also: Did I mention there is an ugly grandma notch? #shame

Yeah I feel like there is nothing uniquely interesting about the Pixel line, my interest would be in the software but apparently they are only supporting these devices for two years or two major system updates. So nothing appealing to me.

I’m surprised they did not find it in a taxicab. 

“Security is always excessive until it’s not enough.”

– Robbie Sinclair, Head of Security, NSW Australia 

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?” - Every Tech Rep Ever

If you need help with your build please tag me.

Main PC:

CPU: Ryzen 3 1300x RAM: 8gb ddr4 2666 MT/s Mobo: ASRock A320M HDD: 1tb WD GPU: Gtx 1050ti 4gb

Spoiler

P.s. if you can tell me what reference my location I will follow you. 

Bonus points if you can tell me the names of the people there. 

I mean, it might look like trash, but at least it comes with a fast charger and a headphone dongle. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

That has got to be the worst notch ever in 2018 flagship phones. Wtf is google thinking with this?? How did it get a design pass from the head designer? LOL 

You know, they might as well just launch the phone at this point. There's no hype anymore. The event is just going to be a "Yep, those leaks were true, but we're gonna tell you all about it anyway" kind of thing, which will probably be boring 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

That notch is literally the worst thing I've ever seen.

I'm just hoping that Google is pulling off the world's biggest corporate prank and flips every Australia side down.

The Pixel Notch3 XL isn't as impressive as I was hoping it would have been. If my current phone dies, I'll go for the Pixel XL 64GB/128GB when I save up enough...

That notch is bad enough. 

The notch paired with a big chin? Ugh. 

In Google's defense, at least the chin had something like the speaker. The Nokia 7.1's notch had no reason to exist 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1