We Broke the WRONG Record! - RTX Overclocking

We started out with one goal: Overclock Nvidia's new GeForce RTX 2080 Ti and document the process. But we got a little ahead of ourselves...

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

15 minutes ago, Justin_ said:

So what record did you break that was wrong?

You'll just have to watch it and see xD

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Single GPU.

Nice try, but GN beat you

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I've watched it and they didn't break any record ?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I watched it but don't understand what wrong record they broke. did they not get #7?

Just now, poochyena said:

I watched it but don't understand what wrong record they broke. did they not get #7?

2 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

I've watched it and they didn't break any record ?

They broke Jay's and GN's records

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

They broke Jay's and GN's records

how is that the "wrong" record? It seemed like thats what he was aiming for.

Just now, poochyena said:

apparently Jay and GN are in an SLI battle and Linus did a single card run

“measuring is very time consuming” lol trueee.. but i’d say it’s a good idea when working with an expensive card like that... then again.. you just opened it and put more wires in it.. pfft.. who cares about breaking the new RTX 2080? 

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Why does the LTT gpu memory clock show only 2000mhz on the hall of fame chart while everyone else is showing around 8k?

Quick question. Moisture seems like the biggest problem with this setup, and if I recall right, they said they increased the temperature to try and remove some condensation... Couldn't you create a decompression chamber (using something like copper instead of plastic tubing to not have to worry about expansion as much on the liquid cooling) to remove all the air from the entire system, thus removing all the moisture from the air? I mean, yeah, sure, overkill and all, but if you are striving for the best, why not go stupidly far out there?

**Note: I don't overclock regularly, but it seems like a "simple" answer.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, then motherboard components like north/south bridge and such probably couldn't cool due to lack of air I suppose. BUT instead you could potentially liquid cool the cpu/gpu and then the rest of the system could be cooled in a mineral oil system or whatever, since that'd remove moisture. Just don't know at what temperature that oil freezes, but it still shouldn't conduct if it does.... sooooo.... maybe?

Blowiematrons for the win! lol!

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

@GabenJr
I see they actually give you a badge now instead of just the pink title 

LMG-v01.png.252ef2e01e0a0cff9721954508887312.png

was this accomplished by collective bargaining or by anonymous threats? 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

15 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

@GabenJr
I see they actually give you a badge now instead of just the pink title 

LMG-v01.png.252ef2e01e0a0cff9721954508887312.png

was this accomplished by collective bargaining or by anonymous threats? 

Actually it was my idea.  Over the years I've seen more than one person confuse us for LMG employees and I figured the "- STAFF -" badge wasn't helping that, so I designed new ones for us, and to go along with it, the actual LMG employees.  Mortis was kind enough to agree it was a good idea and add them.

3 hours ago, poochyena said:

Clickbait title is clickbait 

7 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I did watch the video, but admittedly I wasn't paying all that much attention as I was at work.

Please "Quote" me if you want me to see your response.

So, I do have one question... before you start actually doing anything, you talk about how the voltage is locked, but then you proceed to do a mod that removes the current limit?  Did I misunderstand that part or is something just strange ....

10 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

So, I do have one question... before you start actually doing anything, you talk about how the voltage is locked, but then you proceed to do a mod that removes the current limit?  Did I misunderstand that part or is something just strange ....

The mod shorts the voltage shunt resistors, which tricks the card into raising the power target / limit. There IS a voltage mod, but that requires specialty hardware/software that AFAIK only der8auer and probably other extreme OCers have right now… Except I think Roman also sent Steve a kit? I haven't been paying attention to the goings-on as closely as I should be.

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch