Nvidia Fast sync with Gsync-Gaming

Drawbar

I've been experimenting with using Fast sync and Gsync at the same time.

I recently acquired a Dell S2716 which is a 1440p/144hz gsync monitor and have a GTX 1070ti pushing it. I also have a MSI laptop with a GTX1070 and a 1080p/60hz gsync panel.

With vsync off and just gsync on I get lots of tearing, especially on the laptop, because of high frame rates.

Turning on Fast sync with Gsync really helps certain games (especially the laptop), but puts in a small amount of input lag (not nearly as much as vsync does tho).

Results vary a lot though depending what games  I'm running.

I've tried using in game frame limiters or using Nvidia inspetor to limit the tearing on the high end (usually have to set 10fps or so below refresh rate). This leads to terrible studdering in pretty much everything I've tried.

Anyone else tried running these together?

What are your thoughts and experiences?

6 minutes ago, Drawbar said:

I've been experimenting with using Fast sync and Gsync at the same time.

I recently acquired a Dell S2716 which is a 1440p/144hz gsync monitor and have a GTX 1070ti pushing it. I also have a MSI laptop with a GTX1070 and a 1080p/60hz gsync panel.

With vsync off and just gsync on I get lots of tearing, especially on the laptop, because of high frame rates.

Turning on Fast sync with Gsync really helps certain games (especially the laptop), but puts in a small amount of input lag (not nearly as much as vsync does tho).

Results vary a lot though depending what games  I'm running.

I've tried using in game frame limiters or using Nvidia inspetor to limit the tearing on the high end (usually have to set 10fps or so below refresh rate). This leads to terrible studdering in pretty much everything I've tried.

Anyone else tried running these together?

What are your thoughts and experiences?

I also own a Dell S2716DG, and I've had no issues at all using G-SYNC, but i use a desktop 1080 with DP, have you made sure to use the DP port and enable G-Sync in the settings?

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

Why would you limit your fps BELOW the refresh rate??

That's literally what causes tearing.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 minutes ago, Emanbaird said:

also own a Dell S2716DG, and I've had no issues at all using G-SYNC, but i use a desktop 1080 with DP, have you made sure to use the DP port and enable G-Sync in the settings? 

I am using DP. Gsync is working properly on the Dell. I only get tearing on it above 144 fps which isn't all that often on AAA games.

The laptop with the 60hz panel tears all the time because almost everything runs faster than 60 fps.

This is why I have been experimenting with Fast sync which dumps frames above the monitor's refresh rate, which should, and sometimes does..., prevent tearing at fps over the refresh rate.

7 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Why would you limit your fps BELOW the refresh rate??

That's literally what causes tearing. 

Fast sync doesn't kick in fast enough with the fps limited to the same as the monitor refresh rate. It seems to need some wiggle room.

Gsync stops the tearing below the refresh rate only.

I play a lot of league of legends, and when i get around 300fps, i don't notice any tearing on my 1080, it is definitely odd. which Nvidia drivers are you using?

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

4 minutes ago, Emanbaird said:

I play a lot of league of legends, and when i get around 300fps, i don't notice any tearing on my 1080, it is definitely odd. which Nvidia drivers are you using?

Seems the higher fps you can get over the 144hz refresh on the Dell the less noticeable it is.  It's hard to notice it much anyways at 144hz.

It's pretty awful on the 60hz panel tho.