GTX 1070 ti with 60hz monitor ?

The Strange

Hi guys, I just get my 1st gaming PC build since like 2-3 weeks, here you're my specs:

Core i5 8400.

B360 AORUS Gaming 3.

RAM 16GB(2x8GB) ddr4 2666.

WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM x 2 pieces.

BitFenix Formula 750w 80+ Gold PSU.

Cougar Turbine 120mm fan x 2 (added in front).

Cooler Master MB511 Case.

Samsung S24D330H LED Monitor. 

I was waiting for new GPUs to release to know if they worth waiting for or not, but you know guys based on current benchmarks made on RTX 2080 and 2080 ti, i see its just ray tracing technology added to new 2000 series GPUs but almost same performance with its previous 1000 series. (example 2080 has similar performance to GTX 1080 ti).

So now i just decided to wait a little bit for more price drop to buy the GTX 1070 ti as its the best price/performance card i can get right now, here i have some problem:

My monitor i just bought is 60hz refresh rate(written on specs above), i was not able to go higher as i'm so tight in budget + monitors prices are pretty expensive here in my country, even for just 75hz monitor i need to pay 4x price of 60hz and 6-7x for the 144hz, but anyways I'm considering 1080p gaming and its very fine for me.

I Googled around many sites, then found many people saying that 1070 ti is pretty overkill for 60Hz monitor and its better to be used with 144hz one at 1080p or even 1440p, otherwise for 60hz monitor 1060 is good.

However, i have a different perspective, my intention is to get a GPU that lasts much longer years as i'm not upgrading too much due to budget and price problems here in my country so it's 1-time purchase to be used for 5 years in average, 1060 is suitable for now yes, but next years with very demanding games, it will be hard to reach 60 fps in gaming while 1070 ti is more than enough for now but later it will be nice and suitable for 60 fps.

Well guys, based on my perspective, is it good to go with 1070 ti paired with 60Hz monitor ?? and will it be fine and smooth with gaming without any troubles like input lag, tearing or whatever these stuff that actually i don't know much about them, all i know is i have to turn on v-synch.

I'm planning to play so so so many games, almost everything because i didn't game any newer games at all since 2014, here you are some games expected to try:

Call of duty series, BattleField Series, AC series, Far Cry Series, Need for speed series, GTA V, Rise and shadow of the tomb raider, Forza Horizon series, Watch Dogs series, The Witcher 3...etc

Thanks in advance.

Nothing wrong with a 1070 ti with 60hz monitor. U can play all the newer games 1080p at max.

So You Wanna Be A Playa, But Your Rig's Ain't Fly,
You Gotta Hit Us Up, To Get A Pimped Out Rig,

You've Got To Pimp My Riggggggg...  (DAMN RIGHT)

have you thought about getting an ssd?  you lack one, btw get 1440p60hz, come on,it s2018 

6 minutes ago, mikedrewsmy said:

Nothing wrong with a 1070 ti with 60hz monitor. U can play all the newer games 1080p at max.

Yeah i know that, but i'm asking about troubles that maybe i face because of the restricted refresh rate with a very powerful GPU like 1070 ti, i just don't want any kind of lags, freezes, stutters..etc

So again asking: will it be fine ???

Will i be able to have a nice and smooth gaming ??

5 minutes ago, wojtepanik said:

have you thought about getting an ssd?  you lack one, btw get 1440p60hz, come on,it s2018 

About SSD, maybe later i buy Kingston A400 120GB, as i'm tight on budget right now.

Maybe Kingston A400 is the cheapest SSD i can get, but for sure yes i will do it.

About getting 1440p 60hz monitor, please read my topic again :) :) 

42 minutes ago, The Strange said:

Well guys, based on my perspective, is it good to go with 1070 ti paired with 60Hz monitor ?? and will it be fine and smooth with gaming without any troubles like input lag, tearing or whatever these stuff that actually i don't know much about them, all i know is i have to turn on v-synch.

I'm planning to play so so so many games, almost everything because i didn't game any newer games at all since 2014, here you are some games expected to try:

Call of duty series, BattleField Series, AC series, Far Cry Series, Need for speed series, GTA V, Rise and shadow of the tomb raider, Forza Horizon series, Watch Dogs series, The Witcher 3...etc

this is just my personal comment.

All monitors right now above 1080p 60fps is way over priced. and most games you play are not FPS, so doesn't benefit from refresh that much. 

people say for 1080p 60fps, gtx1060 is enough but they have v-sync and AA off, if those are on avg fps is just around 50  

GTX1070ti will sure run everything max at 60fps 1080p, but If you get a 1440p or 1080p @144hz, it will stress out 1070ti oftenly under full load, you do not want this in long run.

IMO GTX1070(ti) will suites best at 1080p 60hz for many years (7+yrs)

33 minutes ago, The Strange said:

About SSD, maybe later i buy Kingston A400 120GB, as i'm tight on budget right now.

Maybe Kingston A400 is the cheapest SSD i can get, but for sure yes i will do it.

About getting 1440p 60hz monitor, please read my topic again :) :) 

kingston a400 is crap, get your priorites sorted out, ssd is a must lol

5 minutes ago, wojtepanik said:

kingston a400 is crap, get your priorites sorted out, ssd is a must lol

crap in which way? compared to?

.....wasnt this a monitor thread?

4 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

crap in which way? compared to?

.....wasnt this a monitor thread?

image.png.f4ec034a41eab60b762bfd740027ab66.pngcomaper to anything, but ok, monitor thread

47 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

this is just my personal comment.

All monitors right now above 1080p 60fps is way over priced. and most games you play are not FPS, so doesn't benefit from refresh that much. 

people say for 1080p 60fps, gtx1060 is enough but they have v-sync and AA off, if those are on avg fps is just around 50  

GTX1070ti will sure run everything max at 60fps 1080p, but If you get a 1440p or 1080p @144hz, it will stress out 1070ti oftenly under full load, you do not want this in long run.

IMO GTX1070(ti) will suites best at 1080p 60hz for many years (7+yrs)

Actually i liked your personal opinion and i totally agree with, yeah you're right about GTX 1060, most people turn off AA to play 60 FPS, my knowledge is a little about this but AA is consuming so much from the 1060's GPU, so mostly when you turn it off you can play some games up to 80 FPS i think, especially those well-optimized like COD WW2, BattleField 1....etc

Anyways so what if i turn off AA :D:D i know its a retarded question as 1070 ti is very powerful GPU + no need at all to turn it off as i will not benefit from the extra FPS due to limited refresh rate, but just asking for more knowledge and understanding, will i get nice and smooth gaming so ??

11 minutes ago, The Strange said:

Actually i liked your personal opinion and i totally agree with, yeah you're right about GTX 1060, most people turn off AA to play 60 FPS, my knowledge is a little about this but AA is consuming so much from the 1060's GPU, so mostly when you turn it off you can play some games up to 80 FPS i think, especially those well-optimized like COD WW2, BattleField 1....etc

Anyways so what if i turn off AA :D:D i know its a retarded question as 1070 ti is very powerful GPU + no need at all to turn it off as i will not benefit from the extra FPS due to limited refresh rate, but just asking for more knowledge and understanding, will i get nice and smooth gaming so ??

not sure if I understand you question correctly, are you saying when your fps is already maxed(same as monitor), and turn off AA will it be smoother?

a smooth gaming experience is to keep the fps stable, minimize fluctuations. to get to this result turn off graphic effects is the easiest way while sacrifice the visual effects. but if fps already maxed out with gpu having enough overhead, on & off shall make no difference.

this is actually up to your personal preference, where you want fps number to look nice vs gaming experience. I personally prefer overall smoothness and visual effects over fps, (I had to play FFXV cap at 30fps and ultra setting, AA v-sync on)

42 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

not sure if I understand you question correctly, are you saying when your fps is already maxed(same as monitor), and turn off AA will it be smoother?

a smooth gaming experience is to keep the fps stable, minimize fluctuations. to get to this result turn off graphic effects is the easiest way while sacrifice the visual effects. but if fps already maxed out with gpu having enough overhead, on & off shall make no difference.

Well, this is a little bit closer to what i mean, i i will be more clear:

If a game is producing like 150 FPS on 1070 ti 1080p, but due to refresh rate, then have to turn v-sync on to play 60 FPS.

Reducing the gap should be more smoother if i'm right about that, maybe i have to turn on AA to reduce the gap and maxing out some other graphics as well too, so let's say the new FPS here become 100 instead of 150.

Is this more clear for you? 

So do i have to MAX OUT everything for more smoother gaming ?? as turning off AA and some other stuff (with keeping other settings ULTRA settings) will produce more FPS that will increase the gap between real fps and monitor refresh rate. 

Or i will be able to enjoy gaming at all cases whatever i did ??

Sorry again if the new clarification is bad, as my knowledge about these stuff is still poor.

4 minutes ago, The Strange said:

So do i have to MAX OUT everything for more smoother gaming ?? as turning off AA and some other stuff (with keeping other settings ULTRA settings) will produce more FPS that will increase the gap between real fps and monitor refresh rate. 

Or i will be able to enjoy gaming at all cases whatever i did ??

to make it simple.

Basically you games can be played at high fps,eg 200fps, but you are playing at 60hz monitor, so max fos in this case is 60hz.

If you have a 200hz monitor and your gpu can handle say 100fps at current settings, you can only get 100fps.

in this case you mat sometimes get higher or lower fps suddenly and this is the lag you see, coz the GPU cannot handle it. so to solve this, people turn down graphics settings, (AA , v-sync, shadows etc) to get a smoother and faster fps.

8 hours ago, The Strange said:

I Googled around many sites, then found many people saying that 1070 ti is pretty overkill for 60Hz monitor and its better to be used with 144hz one at 1080p or even 1440p, otherwise for 60hz monitor 1060 is good.

However, i have a different perspective, my intention is to get a GPU that lasts much longer years as i'm not upgrading too much due to budget and price problems here in my country so it's 1-time purchase to be used for 5 years in average, 1060 is suitable for now yes, but next years with very demanding games, it will be hard to reach 60 fps in gaming while 1070 ti is more than enough for now but later it will be nice and suitable for 60 fps.

Thanks in advance.

Even GTX 1060 6Gb can handle 1080p max setting at more than 60fps.

My suggestion is, save some cash by getting GTX 1060 6Gb instead and buy yourself 144hz monitor from it.

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

Using a 1070 with a 60Hz display right now (because in some games the 75Hz doesn't work) and it's great to have the peace of mind that you can max every game out there and never stutter.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

6 hours ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

Even GTX 1060 6Gb can handle 1080p max setting at more than 60fps.

My suggestion is, save some cash by getting GTX 1060 6Gb instead and buy yourself 144hz monitor from it.

I already have the monitor, i don't think i can return it, but anyways price difference right now between 1060 and 1070 ti in my country is not that big that will help to afford a 144hz monitor, i have referred in my topic that monitors prices here in my country are very very expensive, getting 144hz monitor for 1080p will cost same price like 1070 ti or even more :/:/ and as i mentioned before price difference between 1060 and 1070 ti is not that big so the savings from getting 1060 will never help to get a 144hz monitor or even 75hz :/:/ sorry for saying that.

At all cases my intention is to get a gaming PC that lasts for longer years, its 1-time purchase per 5 years in average, even GTX 1060 can't play some games right now with a fixed 60 FPS, like AC Origins, The Division..etc

So anyways i'm asking again, 60hz monitor with 1070 ti is bad or good ?? i just don't hope for any troubles in gaming like lags, stutters, screen freezes and these bad stuff.

12 hours ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

to make it simple.

Basically you games can be played at high fps,eg 200fps, but you are playing at 60hz monitor, so max fos in this case is 60hz.

If you have a 200hz monitor and your gpu can handle say 100fps at current settings, you can only get 100fps.

in this case you mat sometimes get higher or lower fps suddenly and this is the lag you see, coz the GPU cannot handle it. so to solve this, people turn down graphics settings, (AA , v-sync, shadows etc) to get a smoother and faster fps.

I'm fully aware about that, but we are not talking about poor GPU, we're talking about 1070 ti man, that can get very high FPS with almost every game even with those poor-optimized, so here to reduce this HIGH FPS to be around 60 FPS (monitor's refresh rate) maybe have to max out some other graphics like AA on, shadows and so on.

Turning on v-sync will limit game FPS to the monitor's refresh rate (60 FPS) down from 150 FPS produced (for just example), so if we maxed out more graphics to reduce those 150 to 100, that should be smoother.

I don't know if i made it more clear or not, all i hope is to have a nice and smooth 1080p gaming without any troubles like lags, stutters, screen freezes...etc

So again my question: can i have nice and smooth gaming whatever maximizing out other graphics or not (with keeping v-sync on and other settings to ultra ) ???