AMD Vega 56 - worth right now ?

Hello,

I was looking for a new gpu, since my old doesnt have the power to satisfie my needs. So I looked through a bunch of online shops and found a AMD Vega 56 for "only" 399€ [link: https://www.powercolor.com/product?id=1521537060 ] (I live in Germany). So is it worth it ? And if its worth it, how about the powersupply? Currently I have a 600W psu from Corsair. Do I need a bigger one to power the card ? My cpu only has a tdp of 65w so I think I'm fine.

Thanks for the answers!

Powercolor-Radeon-RX-Vega-56-Red-Dragon-1-pcgh_b2article_artwork.jpg

Wattage wise, your PSU will likely be fine, but it does depend on the exact model of your PSU and the amount of stuff you have on it. Some of the lower end PSU's will not be able to handle the power draw of this card, regardless of wattage. If you could provide the PSU model that would be helpful.

As for that card, there are reasons to buy and reasons to not. Compare the prices to something like a 1070 Ti and see what you get. It is very easy to flash a Vega 64 BIOS to this card to get Vega 64/GTX 1080 level performance, if you're into that kind of thing. Rumor has it that AMD will be releasing new cards soon, so you may wait around for that.

Also, check the price of the Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 on Newegg, I saw they were on sale recently. The Sapphire edition of the Vega 56 is the best you can get.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT A REPLY!

PC #1

Ryzen 7 3700x@4.4ghz (All core) | MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb (OC 3600mhz)

MSI GTX 1080 8gb | SoundBlaster ZXR | Corsair HX850

Samsung 960 256gb | Samsung 860 1gb | Samsung 850 500gb

HGST 4tb, HGST 2tb | Seagate 2tb | Seagate 2tb

Custom CPU/GPU water loop

PC #2

Ryzen 7 1700@3.8ghz (All core) | Aorus AX370 Gaming K5 | Vengeance LED 3200mhz 2x8gb

Sapphire R9 290x 4gb | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair RM650

Samsung 850 128gb | Intel 240gb | Seagate 2tb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

Core i7 6700HQ | Samsung 2400mhz 2x8gb DDR4

GTX 1060M 3gb | FiiO E10k DAC

Samsung 950 256gb | Sandisk Ultra 2tb SSD

399 is MSRP for Vega ;)  so it's not a great deal. It's never been MSRP since release, but it is now. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

28 minutes ago, Krieger1200 said:

If a used 980ti is closer to 300 EUR buy that instead unless you want the free games that come with Vega 56, or free-sync.

399 is just it's MSRP, if you want to wait and already have a PC to use the RX 600 series should be coming soon, likely to have at least GTX 1070 performance at a lower price than Vega 56.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

12 minutes ago, BigDamn said:

Wattage wise, your PSU will likely be fine, but it does depend on the exact model of your PSU and the amount of stuff you have on it. Some of the lower end PSU's will not be able to handle the power draw of this card, regardless of wattage. If you could provide the PSU model that would be helpful.

As for that card, there are reasons to buy and reasons to not. Compare the prices to something like a 1070 Ti and see what you get. It is very easy to flash a Vega 64 BIOS to this card to get Vega 64/GTX 1080 level performance, if you're into that kind of thing. Rumor has it that AMD will be releasing new cards soon, so you may wait around for that.

Also, check the price of the Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 on Newegg, I saw they were on sale recently. The Sapphire edition of the Vega 56 is the best you can get.

thanks for the answer

my psu model is Corsair CX600M. 

At the moment I'm powering an i5-7500 on an MSI B250 board with it. Also my ssd an my hdd, nothing more.

The cheapest 1070 Ti I could get is for around 430€. I also thought about buying that one but I think I should wait on that for the release of the RTX 1070 on 17th of October. Maybe prices will drop even further.

Maybe I should ask in a different way. My plans are to game at 1080p @144Hz. Gamesettings should be set to high or maxed, depending on the game played of course (like Esports titles, so overwatch, but also for example Shadow of the tomb raider). Can u recommend me a decent GPU that will last a few years and is under 450€?

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

If a used 980ti is closer to 300 EUR buy that instead unless you want the free games that come with Vega 56, or free-sync.

399 is just it's MSRP, if you want to wait and already have a PC to use the RX 600 series should be coming soon, likely to have at least GTX 1070 performance at a lower price than Vega 56.

Is there a release date for the new RX 600 cards ? 

2 minutes ago, Krieger1200 said:

an RX 570/580 is likely good enough for 1080p and should be fairly cheap now. Just turn down a few settings like AA and shadows.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

Just now, Krieger1200 said:

Is there a release date for the new RX 600 cards ? 

Rumors are october, no real ideas on what it would even be yet.

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Krieger1200 said:

thanks for the answer

At the moment I'm powering an i5-7500 on an MSI B250 board with it. Also my ssd an my hdd, nothing more.

The cheapest 1070 Ti I could get is for around 430€. I also thought about buying that one but I think I should wait on that for the release of the RTX 1070 on 17th of October. Maybe prices will drop even further.

Maybe I should ask in a different way. My plans are to game at 1080p @144Hz. Gamesettings should be set to high or maxed, depending on the game played of course (like Esports titles, so overwatch, but also for example Shadow of the tomb raider). Can u recommend me a decent GPU that will last a few years and is under 450€?

I don't know about your budget but the Vega 56 is an excellent card, it's really powerful and you will not have issues what so ever in 1080p or even 2k, but the issue is with the European countries prices I was facing the same issue when I wanted to buy a card the prices are a bit high comparing it to other countries, but fortunately I found a great deal for the Vega 64 and I grabbed instantly, If you found any good deal, go for it.

AMD Ryzen 1700x

Asus Crosshair VI Hero

GTX 1070

16gb RAM 2333Mhz

500gb Samsung SSD

Windows 10 & Linux

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

an RX 570/580 is likely good enough for 1080p and should be fairly cheap now. Just turn down a few settings like AA and shadows.

Idk if a rx 580 would last me for a few years. If it would be enough for m 1080p wishes, should I get the 8GB version or will the 4GB version be enough?

1 minute ago, Krieger1200 said:

Idk if a rx 580 would last me for a few years. If it would be enough for m 1080p wishes, should I get the 8GB version or will the 4GB version be enough?

Or should I aswell consider a GTX 1060 6GB?

9 minutes ago, Krieger1200 said:

thanks for the answer

Not quite sure you will be able to power that card with that PSU. I owned a CX750W (albeit an older model) that could not power my R9 290x, despite it being a 750 watt unit. The reason for this was due to the fact that the 290x was drawing so much power on a single 12v rail. Think of it this way, you're using a low-mid range PSU to power a very high end GPU. You might be able to get away with it, but you would be better off getting a CS or RMX series PSU from Corsair first.

PC #1

Ryzen 7 3700x@4.4ghz (All core) | MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb (OC 3600mhz)

PC #2

Ryzen 7 1700@3.8ghz (All core) | Aorus AX370 Gaming K5 | Vengeance LED 3200mhz 2x8gb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

4 minutes ago, Krieger1200 said:

an RX 570/580 would be better for the free-sync savings.

8GB if it's near the same price is always nice.

In a few years there will be newer budget cards with more features to upgrade to anyways. Can always just change to medium settings by that time anyways with no real visual differences.

Spoiler

Just now, BigDamn said:

Vega is certainly not going to draw as much power as a 290X unless you throw a heavy OC on it.

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Vega is certainly not going to draw as much power as a 290X unless you throw a heavy OC on it.

It won't draw as much, but the Vega will still be pulling upward of 220-230 watts. The 290x was in the upper 200's if I recall correctly. Either way, that PSU will struggle.

PC #1

PC #2

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

7 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

well I'm not planing to OC anyway

9 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

an RX 570/580 would be better for the free-sync savings.

8GB if it's near the same price is always nice.

In a few years there will be newer budget cards with more features to upgrade to anyways. Can always just change to medium settings by that time anyways with no real visual differences.

so if I buy a budget card right now and it will last for around 2-3 years to play on high sometimes even on max settings, then I need to just buy the next card after that period of time and I will be fine for another 2-3 maybe even 4 years.

How long do u think a GTX 1070 ti or a vega 56 will last probably?

7 minutes ago, Krieger1200 said:

so if I buy a budget card right now and it will last for around 2-3 years to play on high sometimes even on max settings, then I need to just buy the next card after that period of time and I will be fine for another 2-3 maybe even 4 years.

How long do u think a GTX 1070 ti or a vega 56 will last probably?

Where does the 980ti stand today is the answer to your question. Though that card could overclock and gain like 20-30% more performance.

Spoiler