Do You Think it Would be Possible to Make a Standard CPU Slot?

I was really thinking of having standard sockets for each "tier" of CPU. For example; low end, mid, high, and server. I do understand this would be unlikely but what do you think? Would it also be possible to have an external CPU like there are external GPUs? I know that seems like more work than its worth, but you could have say a celeron laptop for work/school and plug it in at home and have an up-gradable I5 or I7.

The problem with an external CPU is that the interconnects needed for a cpu to do its job in a PC are so high speed that cables running to an external CPU would be huge and expensive

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

35 minutes ago, GiantEvilPig said:

I was really thinking of having standard sockets for each "tier" of CPU. For example; low end, mid, high, and server.

Everything below server-grade/HEDT runs on the same socket. In the current industry, LGA 1151 and AM4 would be your consumer-grade chipsets.

Server-grade/HEDT is TR4 and LGA 2066.

37 minutes ago, GiantEvilPig said:

Would it also be possible to have an external CPU like there are external GPUs? I know that seems like more work than its worth, but you could have say a celeron laptop for work/school and plug it in at home and have an up-gradable I5 or I7.

Even external GPUs have bandwidth problems, for a CPU to work like this would be too much R&D for a company to be worth it. While it may be technically possible for a CPU to work externally, there is

A- no market for such a product

B- no real reason for doing it. If you need a better laptop, get a better laptop.

C- cost to be considered. The price for such a product would be outrageously high for how much of an upgrade it would be.

The prices would have to be high enough to combat R&D in order for a company to view it as worthwhile, and that's assuming people even buy the thing.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!