Google wants to make Apple's Magic Trackpad 2 work on Linux

AlTech

Google apparently wants to make Apple's Magic Trackpad 2 work on LInux.

Google is adding support for Apple's accessory to the mainline Linux kernel.

They're hoping to enable it to be used wirelessly and via USB.

Although it’s been 3 years since Apple announced the Magic Trackpad 2 Linux users have needed to rely on out-of-tree patches and drivers to use the multi-touch device with desktop Linux distributions like Ubuntu, in both wired and wireless mode.

—But not for much longer!

Google engineers are, as reported by Phoronix, currently working on a patch to add Magic Trackpad 2 Linux support to the Linux kernel’s HID Magic Mouse driver.

Add support for Apple Magic Trackpad 2 over USB and bluetooth, putting
the device in multi-touch mode.

So yeah, this is definitely interesting. I couldn't tell you why Google wants this. I would have to assume that a number of Google employees own iMacs and have this as their primary pointer device instead of a mouse and happen to want to run Linux.

I don't know.

Source: https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/09/google-working-on-apple-magic-trackpad-2-linux-support

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Interesting, I'm amazed it's not been usable this whole time.  I guess the overlap of users of it, and of Linux was super small

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Hecc. They should. Microsoft should do the same, though Apple should help. 

Magic Trackpad is flipping awesome....but only in macOS. The Windows Bootcamp driver gave me an STD. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Why the hell would you buy a trackpad for a desktop? Sounds like an unhealthy amount of self-loathing.

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Interesting, I'm amazed it's not been usable this whole time.  I guess the overlap of users of it, and of Linux was super small

I imagine it would work like a regular mouse, but with no gestures akin to MacOS.

5 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Why the hell would you buy a trackpad for a desktop? Sounds like an unhealthy amount of self-loathing.

2 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Who the fuck buys a wireless touchpad for a desktop?

Apple customers :D. And some Google engineers apparently ?

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

So yeah, this is definitely interesting. I couldn't tell you why Google wants this. I would have to assume that a number of Google employees own iMacs and have this as their primary pointer device instead of a mouse and happen to want to run Linux.

It's simple: Google has a lot of Apple gear.  People like to think it's all Chrome OS, Linux and Windows on the desktop, but Macs represent a significant part of its hardware makeup.  And shh... you're allowed to use an iPhone and wear an Apple Watch.  Odds are that a Googler used their 20 percent time to write drivers and got permission to contribute it to the Linux kernel.

22 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

I imagine it would work like a regular mouse, but with no gestures akin to MacOS.

I'm not sure what gestures the common DEs support these days but I see no reason it shouldn't work with all of them

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I'm not sure what gestures the common DEs support these days but I see no reason it shouldn't work with all of them

Me neither, but I also don’t see why the touchpad wouldn’t work at all in Linux when the MacBook touchpads work fine. Perhaps they are integrating more native gestures or spaces support?

7 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Me neither, but I also don’t see why the touchpad wouldn’t work at all in Linux when the MacBook touchpads work fine. Perhaps they are integrating more native gestures or spaces support?

Yeah that is odd

https://github.com/bulletmark/libinput-gestures

?

also is it just me or is the forum slightly different today 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

13 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

https://github.com/bulletmark/libinput-gestures

?

also is it just me or is the forum slightly different today 

Mortis disabled the bit showing who's viewing a thread cos it's slowing down the forum and it has bugs.