Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Microsoft killing off the old Skype 7 for Windows .... for real this time

Microsoft is killing off the old Skype version 7 for Windows.... for real this time though.

 

Last time it tried to, Microsoft got backlash since the "new" (been in development since 2016) Skype 8 didn't have all the features of the old Skype 7 which is based on Win32.

 

Microsoft today is killing off Skype 7 for Windows for good.

 

This means Microsoft can spend all of it's effort on the cross-platform Skype 8 client which I believe uses Electron.

 

Quote

In July, Microsoft announced plans to end support for the "classic" Skype client in September. But those plans were put on hold after the Skype community complained that the new, modern client was missing some beloved features from the classic client.

With plans now in place to reinstate those missing features, Microsoft has resurrected plans to deprecate the old Skype client. Skype version 7, the classic client, will no longer be supported after November 1 on desktop devices and November 15 on mobile devices.

 

Quote

The deprecation comes as Microsoft is consolidating its Skype development on a single client that's used across Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, Android, and even the Web. The new client, version 8, has been under development since

2016 and is where Microsoft is performing all new development work, including the recent call recording and end-to-end encryption features.

 

I'm glad Microsoft is moving forward and killing off their old client for Windows cos that was dreadful and ridiculously out of date.

 

Source: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/09/microsoft-killing-off-the-old-skype-client-for-real-this-time/

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it. Bad company + Good Product = Bad Product.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill

Oneplus 7T (Mid 2021 to present), HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present)

Samaritan XTXH (Early 2021 Upgrade - AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT (12C/24T)  (2021) , MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, Corsair 32GB Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 (2020) ,  AMD Radeon RX 6700XT 12GB (Mid 2021), Corsair RM850i PSU, Noctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler (2021), Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD, Seagate BarraCuda 6TB HDD (2020) , NZXT S340 Elite, Corsair ML 120 Pro, Corsair ML120 x2 (2021)

Link to post
Share on other sites

My main gripe with Skype has always been the excessive CPU usage, especially on anything other than a Windows desktop. It's been to a degree that I haven't touched Skype since 5.x (not for regular use, anyway. tested the individual versions to find the same issue).

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X MSI B550M Mortar 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 @ CL15 - RX5700XT 660p 1TBGB & 256GB 600p Fractal Define Mini C CM V550 - Pop!_OS 20.04

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Microsoft today is killing off Skype 7 for Windows for good

I think you meant in one month.

 

Frankly, I couldn't care less as Discord took over Skype, but when it comes to my work, Skype is all I use and I can't stand the new version.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

they finally found Discord

The thing that always gets me the most about when a project like Skype, that gets bought by a big company, is that clearly the Devs stop actually using the product themselves. Especially the load times on non-SSD systems if you have Skype set to load on startup. Helped a friend with that recently. Skype has always been this weird I/O thrasher, which is why I've never liked it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Simple solution: JUST DON'T USE SKYPE IN GENERAL, only if you really need to!

 

EDIT: used to use Skype myself for calling friends when we used to play cause my other friend didn't have a mic lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

The thing that always gets me the most about when a project like Skype, that gets bought by a big company, is that clearly the Devs stop actually using the product themselves. Especially the load times on non-SSD systems if you have Skype set to load on startup. Helped a friend with that recently. Skype has always been this weird I/O thrasher, which is why I've never liked it.

My laptop is just as bad with HP bloatware when you don't even know when its loading in the background and you start to wonder why the system is slowing down, then you see this stupid HP support shit on the task bar. All I can say is that you can't beat discord in a way of functionality, it has so much functionality that Skype user using discord won't even know how to use discord. I say Skype is just like MS's bloatware, it has no purpose, its just "there", kinda like IE that NO ONE EVER USES. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Does the new version work on Windows 7? Nowadays I only use Discord, but I still have Skype 7.39 installed.

Intel Xeon X5670 6c/12t @ 4.40GHz, Asus P6X58D-E, 24GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz, Asus GeForce GTX 960 Turbo OC, 250GB Samsung SSD, 4TB and 2x 2TB HDD, Fractal Design Define R5

PC 2: Intel Xeon E5-2690 8c/16t @ 2.9-3.8GHz, ThinkStation S30, 80GB DDR3 1333MHz, Asus GeForce GTX 470, 500GB HDD

PC 3: Intel Core i7-3770 4c/8t @ 4.22-4.43GHz, Asus P8Z77-V LK, 16GB DDR3 1854MHz, Asus GeForce GTX 760 DC2 OC, 250GB Crucial MX500 and 500GB HDD

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad T440p, Intel Core i7-4800MQ, 12GB DDR3 1600MHz , NVIDIA GeForce GT 730M, 250GB Samsung SSD, 14" 1920x1080 IPS, 100Wh 9c battery

Phone: Huawei Honor 9 64GB Watch: Motorola Moto 360 1st Gen.

General X58 Xeon/i7 discussion

Some other PC's:

Spoiler

Some of the specs of these systems might not be up to date

PC 4: Intel Xeon X5677 @ 3.47GHz, HP 0B4Ch (X58), 12GB DDR3 1333MHz, Asus GeForce GTX 660 DC2, 240GB SSD, 1TB HDD

PC 5: Intel Xeon W3550 @ 3.07GHz, HP (X58), 8GB DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 (GPU: 1050MHz MEM: 1250MHz), 120GB SSD, 2TB, 1TB and 500GB HDD

PC 6: Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.8GHz, Asus P5KC, 8GB DDR2, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470, 120GB SSD and 500GB HDD

HTPC: Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.0GHz, HP DC7900SFF, 8GB DDR2 800MHz, Asus Radeon HD 6570, 240GB SSD and 3TB HDD

WinXP PC: Intel Core2 Duo E6300 @ 2.33GHz, Asus P5B, 2GB DDR2 667MHz, NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT, 32GB SSD and 80GB HDD

RetroPC: Intel Pentium 4 HT @ 3.0GHz, Gigabyte GA-8SGXLFS, 2gb DDR1, ATi Radeon 9800 Pro, 2x 40gb HDD

My first PC: Intel Celeron 333MHz, Diamond Micronics C400, 384mb RAM, Diamond Viper V550 (NVIDIA Riva TNT), 6gb and 8gb HDD

Server: 2x Intel Xeon E5420, Dell PowerEdge 2950, 32gb DDR2, ATI ES1000, 4x 146gb SAS

Dual Opteron PC: 2x 6-core AMD Opteron 2419EE, HP XW9400, 32GB DDR2, ATI Radeon 3650, 500gb HDD

Core2 Duo PC: Intel Core2 Duo E8400, HP DC7800, 4gb DDR2, NVIDIA Quadro FX1700, 1tb and 80gb HDD

Athlon XP PC: AMD Athlon XP 2400+, MSI something, 1,5gb DDR1, ATI Radeon 9200, 40gb HDD

Thinkpad: Intel Core2 Duo T7200, Lenovo Thinkpad T60, 4gb DDR2, ATI Mobility Radeon X1400, 1tb HDD

Pentium 3 PC: Intel Pentium 3 866MHz, Asus CUSL2-C, 512mb RAM, 3DFX VooDoo 3 2000 AGP

Laptop: Dell Latitude E6430, Intel Core i5-3210M, 6gb DDR3 1600MHz , Intel HD 4000, 250gb Samsung SSD 860 EVO, 1TB WD Blue HDD

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm slowly trying to switch my family (eg grandma/parents) over to messenger.

Sure, it's big brother, but at least it actually works and doesn't take up so much resources. 

 

I honestly wonder if MS will ever be able to recover Skype's image in the eyes of enthusiasts. 

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.” — Horacio Jones

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PC_Master said:

My laptop is just as bad with HP bloatware when you don't even know when its loading in the background and you start to wonder why the system is slowing down, then you see this stupid HP support shit on the task bar. All I can say is that you can't beat discord in a way of functionality, it has so much functionality that Skype user using discord won't even know how to use discord. I say Skype is just like MS's bloatware, it has no purpose, its just "there", kinda like IE that NO ONE EVER USES. 

A lot of people actually do use Skype. The issue is that MS forces you into the Skype Client. Remember, you used to be able to use an API to attach to it. That made Skype extremely useful as both an IM and Audio client. They killed that a long time ago and Slack/Discord ended up taking its place.

 

Though Discord is going broke, so expect them to get bought soon and we get another repeat of this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ElfenSky said:

I'm slowly trying to switch my family (eg grandma/parents) over to messenger.

Sure, it's big brother, but at least it actually works and doesn't take up so much resources. 

 

I honestly wonder if MS will ever be able to recover Skype's image in the eyes of enthusiasts. 

No. MS can't innovate, only iterate. They've become the IBM that they replaced.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Taf the Ghost said:

No. MS can't innovate, only iterate. They've become the IBM that they replaced.

But but, Metro, Fluent! /s

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.” — Horacio Jones

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

A lot of people actually do use Skype. The issue is that MS forces you into the Skype Client. Remember, you used to be able to use an API to attach to it. That made Skype extremely useful as both an IM and Audio client. They killed that a long time ago and Slack/Discord ended up taking its place.

 

Though Discord is going broke, so expect them to get bought soon and we get another repeat of this.

I mean, I just uninstall it, although, I never knew discord was going broke, in what way?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to use skype for my job. I have no choice. 

It is a pile of fucking garbage. The other day I didn't recieve a message for 12 hours. On my phone it said it got the message at ~11pm, and on the desktop client (and for the other person it said 11am. I had it on neither until 11pm. It literally causes arguments. This kinda shit happens at least once a week. 

 

New skype is so garbage. the hotkeys dont even have the same functionality. Some dont even work unless the window is in focus. On old skype I can make a button on my mouse to mute me by making a hotkey and binding it in mouse drivers, which is what I direct others to do as well making group calls smother. You can't even have a universal hotkey in the new one! I can't mute or unmute my mic unless I click on skype! 

Fuck you microsoft. Your inability to make a  simply fucking chat app makes my job harder! 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PC_Master said:

I mean, I just uninstall it, although, I never knew discord was going broke, in what way?

Discord is a great idea without a Business Model to be profitable to go with it. They need to find some big player to buy them. And, given who's invested in them, expect the number to be really big but not actually make any sense. Though what the really means is, "hello to having all of your interactions harvested for ad networks!". 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ohh boy... More Electron crap.

I don't get why Microsoft is so obsessed with it all of a sudden. It's so bloated.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I have to use skype for my job. I have no choice. 

It is a pile of fucking garbage. The other day I didn't recieve a message for 12 hours. On my phone it said it got the message at ~11pm, and on the desktop client (and for the other person it said 11am. I had it on neither until 11pm. It literally causes arguments. This kinda shit happens at least once a week. 

 

New skype is so garbage. the hotkeys dont even have the same functionality. Some dont even work unless the window is in focus. On old skype I can make a button on my mouse to mute me by making a hotkey and binding it in mouse drivers, which is what I direct others to do as well making group calls smother. You can't even have a universal hotkey in the new one! I can't mute or unmute my mic unless I click on skype! 

Fuck you microsoft. Your inability to make a  simply fucking chat app makes my job harder! 

Skype can't handle functionality that Ventrillo/Team Speak could handle in 2005.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I have to use skype for my job. I have no choice. 

It is a pile of fucking garbage. The other day I didn't recieve a message for 12 hours. On my phone it said it got the message at ~11pm, and on the desktop client (and for the other person it said 11am. I had it on neither until 11pm. It literally causes arguments. This kinda shit happens at least once a week. 

 

New skype is so garbage. the hotkeys dont even have the same functionality. Some dont even work unless the window is in focus. On old skype I can make a button on my mouse to mute me by making a hotkey and binding it in mouse drivers, which is what I direct others to do as well making group calls smother. You can't even have a universal hotkey in the new one! I can't mute or unmute my mic unless I click on skype! 

Fuck you microsoft. Your inability to make a  simply fucking chat app makes my job harder! 

We're starting to get more involved with Skype at work.  They've moved all of our office phones over to Skype voice.  It's terrible.  The quality is early 2000s cellphone quality.  Calls get dropped all the time.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LAwLz said:

Ohh boy... More Electron crap.

I don't get why Microsoft is so obsessed with it all of a sudden. It's so bloated.

I have a front web end dev friend and I literally argue about electron with him all the time. He, and many others, think it's the greatest fucking thing. 

Doesn't see the problem at all. A guy who works with browsers on a daily basis. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Skype can't handle functionality that Ventrillo/Team Speak could handle in 2005.

that's what makes me so incredibly fucking angry about it. It's a captive audience. If we told people call us on discord, they'd look at us funny/like we're unprofesisonal. Everyone uses it so we have to. Plus the "voip" functionality it provides. By making skype so bad they're not just failing to make a good product, they are screwing a lot of people that are stuck with it since it caught on before me bought it. 
We literally use slack internally as a backup, meaning skype goes down so often that we have to leave slack open so we can hop to it when we can't even send chat messages. I have no idea a message didn't make it until I'm told in slack if Im not in the office. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, NMS said:

I think you meant in one month.

 

Frankly, I couldn't care less as Discord took over Skype, but when it comes to my work, Skype is all I use and I can't stand the new version.

Have the same issue. I use it for work but i noticed something. The skype from the windows store always stay open and never log off. and it lost most features. If you instead go to the skype website and download the windows version it's a totally different software. The tray icon is back, you can put yourself back into "not available" mode. But we lost some audio features like microphone sensibility is not what it uses to be but still that version is 500 times better than the windows store version

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

Ohh boy... More Electron crap.

I don't get why Microsoft is so obsessed with it all of a sudden. It's so bloated.

To avoid getting into the political aspects that go along with it, the normal problem is they have too many people, but not enough of the people that are actually needed. Which is a sign you have leadership that doesn't know what they're doing in the spaces that are public-facing. You end up in this position, as a company, because you promote the wrong people constantly while at the same time still making a lot of money because the core products are the market leader.

 

The biggest victim of this is actually Google. They probably have 2x the workforce they need. As a result, their core products start to wander & drift as time is spent on all of the other wonky projects that all of those extra people have to be tasked with doing. This was one of the reasons for the Google -> Alphabet move.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

To avoid getting into the political aspects that go along with it, the normal problem is they have too many people, but not enough of the people that are actually needed. Which is a sign you have leadership that doesn't know what they're doing in the spaces that are public-facing. You end up in this position, as a company, because you promote the wrong people constantly while at the same time still making a lot of money because the core products are the market leader.

 

The biggest victim of this is actually Google. They probably have 2x the workforce they need. As a result, their core products start to wander & drift as time is spent on all of the other wonky projects that all of those extra people have to be tasked with doing. This was one of the reasons for the Google -> Alphabet move.

...wrong thread or wrong quote? 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

...wrong thread or wrong quote? 

No, correct thread. Corporate Management is why the big projects end up like they are. While it was 7 years ago, MS paid almost 9 billion USD for Skype and, as you mentioned, it's just a staple in corporate settings. Yet, everyone agrees it's terrible, getting worse and somehow uses more system resources for the same functionality as it did 5 years ago.

 

In a properly managed company, the state Skype is in would get the entire management chain replacement. Then most of the development staff. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Newegg

×