RIP UK Sky Broadband

Noctus

Comcast have just bought Sky Broadband for £30bil apparently. 

Swear to god if any other buyouts by Time Warner or Comcast happen over here for other Internet companies and they bring their shite business practices with them, i shall be very angry and do bad things.

Thoughts? 

https://www-dailymail-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/money/markets/article-6222409/amp/Did-Murdoch-lure-Comcast-overpay-30bn-Sky.html?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1#amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fmoney%2Fmarkets%2Farticle-6222409%2FDid-Murdoch-lure-Comcast-overpay-30bn-Sky.html

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

Comcast on the fast track to becoming the first legal cable monopoly, woohoo.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

f to pay respects

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

Well, they can just go straight to jail.

Not with all the money they've got. Worst case scenario, they go to rich people jail which is just a resort for 6 months.

There are a bunch of monopolies right now, and none of them are in hot water because the average person doesn't care and they're too rich to get in trouble.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

It was a monopoly joke.  :/ 

too real, it got me

Primary PC:

Well if Comcast starts messing around with my internet (I'm with Sky UK) then I'll drop them faster than a hot potato. 

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

1 minute ago, Sousuke said:

Well if Comcast starts messing around with my internet (I'm with Sky UK) then I'll drop them faster than a hot potato. 

That's sort of the problem Comcast is trying to create, they want you to have no alternatives.

Primary PC:

32 minutes ago, Noctus said:

Comcast have just bought Sky Broadband for £30bil apparently. 

Swear to god if any other buyouts by Time Warner or Comcast happen over here for other Internet companies and they bring their shite business practices with them.

Thoughts? 

https://www-dailymail-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/money/markets/article-6222409/amp/Did-Murdoch-lure-Comcast-overpay-30bn-Sky.html?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1#amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fmoney%2Fmarkets%2Farticle-6222409%2FDid-Murdoch-lure-Comcast-overpay-30bn-Sky.html

Bit of advice: I know you’re joking about the murder thing, but some people may read that, decide you’re not, and act accordingly. Just a heads up. 

Just now, fasauceome said:

That's sort of the problem Comcast is trying to create, they want you to have no alternatives.

There are loads of Broadband Providers in the UK as the majority of them use BT Lines (ADSL/FTTP) we only have one "Cable" company which is Virgin Media.

So it's a problem which they can not cause within the UK. 

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

2 minutes ago, Sousuke said:

There are loads of Broadband Providers in the UK as the majority of them use BT Lines (ADSL/FTTP) we only have one "Cable" company which is Virgin Media.

So it's a problem which they can not cause within the UK. 

not yet, but of course money talks. It's illegal here in the US too but they get away with it anyway.

Primary PC:

9 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

not yet, but of course money talks. It's illegal here in the US too but they get away with it anyway.

I don't get what you mean? 

The UK Government has ordered the split of the Openreach business (Deals with the lines directly) with its parent company BT, so if they've ordered that they will not allow Comcast to come along and cause issues with the lines. 

In the US the lines (Cable) are owned by their respective companies (AT&T, Comcast etc) whilst 99% of the lines in the UK are owned and operated by Openreach which since its split with BT no longer has any services which run on those lines. All Openreach does is "Rent" the lines to the different companies, Sky included. 

So we still have BT, EE, Vodafone, TalkTalk, Plusnet, Post Office etc etc and more. So not 1 company will be able to take over, BT is the nearest thing we have to a monopoly and they aren't too bad.

So this is where your prognosis has its flaw. To be 100% Honest with you, I'd have been more worried if Rupert Murdock took over as he'd do more damage than anything else.

6 minutes ago, Sousuke said:

I don't get what you mean? 

The UK Government has ordered the split of the Openreach business (Deals with the lines directly) with its parent company BT, so if they've ordered that they will not allow Comcast to come along and cause issues with the lines. 

In the US the lines (Cable) are owned by their respective companies (AT&T, Comcast etc) whilst 99% of the lines in the UK are owned and operated by Openreach which since its split with BT no longer has any services which run on those lines. All Openreach does is "Rent" the lines to the different companies, Sky included. 

So we still have BT, EE, Vodafone, TalkTalk, Plusnet, Post Office etc etc and more. So not 1 company will be able to take over, BT is the nearest thing we have to a monopoly and they aren't too bad.

So this is where your prognosis has its flaw. To be 100% Honest with you, I'd have been more worried if Rupert Murdock took over as he'd do more damage than anything else.

Eh, Murdoch is on his way out; it's his sons that are more worrisome and frankly, I can imagine the News Corp. properties being more fragmented as time goes on, more specifically their American properties.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

well if they come in and reduce prices thats not a bad thing. 

uk regulations are normally quite fast at cutting bushiness off at the legs if they over reach their boundary's. 

also  there are quite a few smaller fibre companies like say gigaclear who came and offered to put gigabit internet to the door. BT sadly got in the way 'wankers'.

but there will be enough competition over here to make things interesting 

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

5 minutes ago, wANKER said:

People use Sky Broadband?

Yes around 6 Million people. 

1 minute ago, Sousuke said:

Yes around 6 Million poor souls. 

Fixed

DISCLAIMER 

Everything i say is my own opinion. So if you disagree with what I post, you are wrong. 

Just now, wANKER said:

Fixed

Mine is fine, never had a problem with Sky. There are issues with every provider going. 

2 hours ago, Morgan Everett said:

Bit of advice: I know you’re joking about the murder thing, but some people may read that, decide you’re not, and act accordingly. Just a heads up. 

Edited for those who'd actually think i'd have the money and time to personally do what i said. I'm at that level of rage though. Comcast, stay in the US please. We don't want you.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

See, Order 1776 is slowly falling into place. An American is now married into the royal family. We're buying British companies. Soon, we will capture the Commonwealth

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

4 minutes ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

See, Order 1776 is slowly falling into place. An American is now married into the royal family. We're buying British companies. Soon, we will capture the Commonwealth

Canada is already just Norther Dakota.

4 hours ago, fasauceome said:

Comcast on the fast track to becoming the first legal cable monopoly, woohoo.

We already have our own legal cable monopoly.

It's called Virgin Media

Petition an ISP from mainland Europe to expand into the UK, maybe? Telenor, for instance. I mean, they're already there in some form, but they don't provide broadband to private customers.

2 hours ago, demonix00 said:

We already have our own legal cable monopoly.

It's called Virgin Media

Their services are not unique, and alternatives are available. How it is delivered is kinda secondary. Don't like VM, there are many DSL providers and in limited regions, real FTTP connections.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible