Xbox One Elite Controller Won't Connect to PC

I've been trying to connect my Xbox One Elite controller to my PC for quite some time now. I've followed all the troubleshooting guides, and talked to multiple tech support people from both xbox and windows support, but nothing seems to help. I know the controller isn't bluetooth enabled, and I don't have the wireless dongle, so my only option is to connect it via USB. I've tried plugging it in to every USB slot I have on my pc, using every USB cord at my disposal, and the same thing happens every time: the controller vibrates once, and then nothing. It doesn't turn on, it won't sync, and the pc doesn't even recognize that anything is plugged in.

When I try to turn on the controller while it's plugged in, it just turns on my xbox, so I unplugged the xbox. Then when I try to turn on the controller, it just flashes for a while, and turns off again. I don't know where the problem lies. I don't know if the controller and/or my pc are just incompatible, or if the company that built this pc for me (don't judge me, I'm stupid) gave me an illegitimate copy of windows 10, but something's wrong, and nobody seems to be able to help me figure out what. If anyone has any ideas what the problem might be and how to fix it, please let me know. Thank you.

5 minutes ago, CinnaFresh said:

I've been trying to connect my Xbox One Elite controller to my PC for quite some time now. I've followed all the troubleshooting guides, and talked to multiple tech support people from both xbox and windows support, but nothing seems to help. I know the controller isn't bluetooth enabled, and I don't have the wireless dongle, so my only option is to connect it via USB. I've tried plugging it in to every USB slot I have on my pc, using every USB cord at my disposal, and the same thing happens every time: the controller vibrates once, and then nothing. It doesn't turn on, it won't sync, and the pc doesn't even recognize that anything is plugged in.

When I try to turn on the controller while it's plugged in, it just turns on my xbox, so I unplugged the xbox. Then when I try to turn on the controller, it just flashes for a while, and turns off again. I don't know where the problem lies. I don't know if the controller and/or my pc are just incompatible, or if the company that built this pc for me (don't judge me, I'm stupid) gave me an illegitimate copy of windows 10, but something's wrong, and nobody seems to be able to help me figure out what. If anyone has any ideas what the problem might be and how to fix it, please let me know. Thank you.

Have you tried installing the driver for the controller? That thing is a pain to find.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

57 minutes ago, CinnaFresh said:

Please bear in mind that not all Cables have data lanes. there are cables out there that do not transfer data, they only charge.

Still does seem that Windows has a hard time to see what kind of device it is.

Update the Driver via Device Manager

If Windows doesn’t install the driver automatically, you can update the driver manually via Device Manager. Follow these steps:

1) On your keyboard, press Win+R (Windows logo key and R key) at the same time to invoke the run box.

2) Type devmgmt.msc and press Enter on your keyboard.

img_5a4b53c31d84f.png

3) Expand the branch Microsoft Xbox One Controller.

4) Right-click on the expanded Microsoft Xbox One Controller and select Update driver (On lower Windows 10 versions, select Update Driver Software). 

img_594771392eb47.png

5) Click Search automatically for updated driver software. Then Windows will install the new driver for the device.

img_5947718be7bb5.png

6) Check to see if you can use the Xbox One Controller properly.

Positive Mental Additude!

Just another Tired IT guy...

Ok so I know the problem. I had the same exact issue a year or so ago and what I had to do was find a specific micro-usb cable and im pretty sure that it had to transfer data and power. Installing the drivers should help, but you have to get the cable right.  Otherwise, if it's a new enough card, you might be able to connect with bluetooth or just cave and get a xbox controller wireless adapter.

I might not know what I'm talking about but I'm gonna say it anyways

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig: Gigabyte Aero 15W v8-BK4 15"

CPU: Intel i7 8750-H 6-core

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4 2666 mHz

Storage: 512 m.2 nvme ssd

GPU: GTX 1060 6gb

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Cherry Mx Silent

Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB, Steelseries Rival 600 

Headset: Philips SHP 9500 + Sennheiser hd598

Dac/Amp: Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)