All VGA connections have flicker

TDP_Equinox
Go to solution Solved by TDP_Equinox,
3 hours ago, RandomGuy13 said:

Try running the auto align function on your monitor first, I think that is more likely to solve the problem.

I'd tried that. It's more like the incorrect refresh rate was being used. 

I've got a new PSU plugged in, and so far it seems to have fixed the issue. 

Very interesting, but glad I made the topic as I didn't make the connection between dirty power and analogue display. 

I'll mark it as solved for now, thanks for the fresh eyes!

EDIT: This SORT OF solved my issue. The short version is, my PSU was fine, it was the power bar I had it plugged into that was bad. 
When I tried a new PSU, I plugged it into a different power bar to test; and it seemed fine. So when I redid the bench with the new PSU, I was confused to see that the issue had returned. Then it clicked; two different power bars. 
It's now several hours later, I've gotten no work done, and the entire bench has been ripped apart and put back together with all new power bars, network switches, and a few new USB hubs. 
I'm sure they're going to love seeing 3 hours of overtime and $200 in write offs tomorrow, but at least my monitor doesn't flicker anymore haha. 

On my VGA display, I see this scrolling line affect.

I'm out of ideas at this point; I've tried everything I can think of. 

This scrolling happens when a display is connected to this machine by VGA. 
I have tried different displays, different cables, and I've even installed a GPU with VGA to eliminate the motherboard. 

It happens when plugged into the VGA on either the onboard connector, or an external GPU. 

I've tried windows 10, and windows 8.1

It does not happen when plugged into another type of connector like HDMI or DVI.

BIOS is up to date, windows and driver are up to date. 

I'm leaning towards motherboard or cpu failure, but even that doesn't make much sense; since an external GPU does the same thing. 
If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. 

Thanks, 

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

37 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Monitor, VGA cable, power supply.  Its one of those.

VGA is an analog signal, dirty power directly impacts image quality.

Forgot to mention that I've tried a different cable. 
I haven't tried a new power supply though, that is a very valid point. BRB, giving this a shot. 

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

3 hours ago, RandomGuy13 said:

Try running the auto align function on your monitor first, I think that is more likely to solve the problem.

Very interesting, but glad I made the topic as I didn't make the connection between dirty power and analogue display. 

EDIT: This SORT OF solved my issue. The short version is, my PSU was fine, it was the power bar I had it plugged into that was bad. 
When I tried a new PSU, I plugged it into a different power bar to test; and it seemed fine. So when I redid the bench with the new PSU, I was confused to see that the issue had returned. Then it clicked; two different power bars. 
It's now several hours later, I've gotten no work done, and the entire bench has been ripped apart and put back together with all new power bars, network switches, and a few new USB hubs. 
I'm sure they're going to love seeing 3 hours of overtime and $200 in write offs tomorrow, but at least my monitor doesn't flicker anymore haha. 

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

Spoiler

3 hours ago, TDP_Equinox said:

Bad ground then, grounding is important with any equipment that uses analog signaling.