Is my PSU good enough for a 1070 or 1060?

georgech900

Hey! i was wondering if a 1060 or potentially a 1070 would be ok on my current PSU: https://www.dinopc.com/aerocoolr-integrator-500w-500-watt-80-plusr-bronze-psu

The website says that the PSU is reliable and I have been using it fine for a year with my 1050ti.

I have seen places say that AreoCool isn't a great company and the components they make are quite low quality, but other places say as long as its Bronze 80+ its okay!

Would be nice if someone could clear this up for me :D 

It's a 6+2 PSU so your max would be 1070 as only Gigabyte GTX G1 1080 is 8 pin. 
Providing full pc specs would be good to know before saying anything else.

Wattage wise yes, quality wise no, wouldn't trust it. Basically this:

Just now, Mooshi said:

This falls under "It would work, but I wouldn't trust it"

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Being 80 plus says NOTHING about quality. It is a certification for efficiency, and only that. and a bad one if im being honest. The PSU may be good, but dont take the 80+ as indication of quality. (ofc the gold/platinum 80+ unities are USUALLY high quality, but dont use it as a reference)

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

2 minutes ago, voiha said:

It's a 6+2 PSU so your max would be 1070 as only Gigabyte GTX G1 1080 is 8 pin. 
Providing full pc specs would be good to know before saying anything else.

My full pc specs:

Core i3-7100 (gonna upgrade to i5-7500)

H11OM-R ASUS motherboard

8gb ram,

1050ti (currently)

then the AreoCool intergrator 500W psu

Aerocool has had a lot of power supplies that were just catastrophic failures waiting to happen. This unit is much better than that, but still pretty mediocre. It adheres to the ATX spec although ripple gets kinda high, and it is built with some rather questionable components.

I'd say it will handle a 1070 just fine for the time being, but figure on replacing it within a year. The capacitors in that unit won't last forever, and once they really start to degrade, the ripple could quickly get dangerously out of spec.

If you want to use it, I'd refrain from overclocking and save for a better unit to replace with 

1 minute ago, Sakkura said:

Aerocool has had a lot of power supplies that were just catastrophic failures waiting to happen. This unit is much better than that, but still pretty mediocre. It adheres to the ATX spec although ripple gets kinda high, and it is built with some rather questionable components.

I'd say it will handle a 1070 just fine for the time being, but figure on replacing it within a year. The capacitors in that unit won't last forever, and once they really start to degrade, the ripple could quickly get dangerously out of spec.

Thanks! but I'm kind of on the 1060  6gb side of upgrading since its a bit more in my budget. But yeah I will look into upgrading within a year,

It will work definitely but the question is under usage will it's going to brick itself. ( I already had a story like this)
i3-7100 has low consumption but as people above me said it's not trustful PSU. It's best to invest in quality PSU first and then upgrade on top of it. (You don't need to break the bank to get decent one) 

Most manufacturers ditched the Silver efficiency and round it to either Bronze or Gold, if it's bronze then it is on the low side of efficiency.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/how-does-psu-efficiency-affect-me-and-do-i-really-need-an-80-plus-gold-power-supply.129456/ 
That's a good reading if you want to learn more (It's quite old, there is one on this forum too under the power supply threads)

See if you can spare money for PSU like Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650W or even 550W variant if it's too expensive, step down a notch in quallity.

1 minute ago, Mooshi said:

If you want to use it, I'd refrain from overclocking and save for a better unit to replace with 

Lol dw i have this weird thing where i'm too afraid to overclock as I might burn out my stuff lol. idek why. But yeah ill surely upgrade it eitherway

2 minutes ago, voiha said:

It will work definitely but the question is under usage will it's going to brick itself. ( I already had a story like this)
i3-7100 has low consumption but as people above me said it's not trustful PSU. It's best to invest in quality PSU first and then upgrade on top of it. (You don't need to break the bank to get decent one) 

Most manufacturers ditched the Silver efficiency and round it to either Bronze or Gold, if it's bronze then it is on the low side of efficiency.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/how-does-psu-efficiency-affect-me-and-do-i-really-need-an-80-plus-gold-power-supply.129456/ 
That's a good reading if you want to learn more (It's quite old, there is one on this forum too under the power supply threads)

See if you can spare money for PSU like Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650W or even 550W variant if it's too expensive, step down a notch in quallity.

Yeah funny thing is I was going to sell my ps vita for smn like £90 so that  I can use that solely for a new PSU

Do you reccomend that as the best for my psu budget or anything better potentially...

51 minutes ago, georgech900 said:

Yeah funny thing is I was going to sell my ps vita for smn like £90 so that  I can use that solely for a new PSU

Do you reccomend that as the best for my psu budget or anything better potentially...

Better that Seasonic Focus gold plus 650w is not needed, its a solid PSU, I bought it for my gf who is using it with i7 8700 and gtx 1080, so you will have plenty of room for upgrades.

2 hours ago, georgech900 said:

Hey! i was wondering if a 1060 or potentially a 1070 would be ok on my current PSU: https://www.dinopc.com/aerocoolr-integrator-500w-500-watt-80-plusr-bronze-psu

The website says that the PSU is reliable and I have been using it fine for a year with my 1050ti.

No, replace the PSU if you want to keep your hardware for more than a Month or two.

And the Website is lying, its crap...

Where do you live, what's available?

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

3 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

No, replace the PSU if you want to keep your hardware for more than a Month or two.

And the Website is lying, its crap...

Where do you live, what's available?

England...

1 hour ago, georgech900 said:

My full pc specs:

Core i3-7100 (gonna upgrade to i5-7500)

H11OM-R ASUS motherboard

8gb ram,

1050ti (currently)

then the AreoCool intergrator 500W psu

You need the lowest wattage, highest quality PSU you can find.

Something like be quiet Pure Power 10 with 400W or better Bitfenix Formula 450W, Straight Power 11 450W.

1 hour ago, voiha said:

why do you recommend a 650W for an i3-7k series?!
That doesn't make any sense. With that PSU he can power his PC at least three times, four with what he has right now.

650W is the most bullshit because most don't have the needed 2nd CPU Connector, so you have to go with 750W anyway...

1 hour ago, georgech900 said:

Ah, so you're in the UK. 

And the ones I mentioned above should be available...

My Recommendation would be the Straight Power 11, 450 or 550W if both are realtively close in price, the 650W is shit because of the same modular connector board as 450 and 550W.

1 minute ago, georgech900 said:

England...

Yeah, saw that after I saw that you want to sell your Vita for 90 Pounds...

But you should have some nice Recommendations.

Your PC should be somewhat around 120-175W under load right now....

So you don't need no Watt, you need something good.

1 minute ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yeah, saw that after I saw that you want to sell your Vita for 90 Pounds...

But you should have some nice Recommendations.

Your PC should be somewhat around 120-175W under load right now....

So you don't need no Watt, you need something good.

Should i go for a good 550W straight power 11 considering i shall be getting a 1060 6gb.. or is that not so demanding..

(i will be getting the 1060 around xmas and the i5-7500 early october - idk if thats useful)

PS: jeez you typed alot of info thanks bro :D 

Just now, georgech900 said:

Should i go for a good 550W straight power 11 considering i shall be getting a 1060 6gb.. or is that not so demanding..

(i will be getting the 1060 around xmas and the i5-7500 early october - idk if thats useful)

PS: jeez you typed alot of info thanks bro :D 

Yeah, if you want to, you can get the 550W, that's fine too. Especially since the price of 450 -> 550W is like 2,5-5€ or so...

So that might be an option and you have moar "headroom" for "future expansions" (=wich nobody knows what that might or might not be)...

3 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yeah, if you want to, you can get the 550W, that's fine too. Especially since the price of 450 -> 550W is like 2,5-5€ or so...

So that might be an option and you have moar "headroom" for "future expansions" (=wich nobody knows what that might or might not be)...

Danke sehr:D 

8 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/quiet-Straight-Power-Black-supply/dp/B078X22YBS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1537982906&sr=8-3&keywords=Straight+Power+11+550w i will actually get the 450W since thats all i really need and it is £20 cheaper lol. Thank you :D 

i hate how expensive pc parts are :,( 

49 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

why do you recommend a 650W for an i3-7k series?!
That doesn't make any sense. With that PSU he can power his PC at least three times, four with what he has right now.

650W is the most bullshit because most don't have the needed 2nd CPU Connector, so you have to go with 750W anyway...

Yeah tell him to get 400W PSU, and the moment he wants to upgrade his PC even more, you will deal with his PSU problems.

As you saw I advised him to get the 550W variant which is sufficient for even powerful components.

2 hours ago, voiha said:

Yeah tell him to get 400W PSU, and the moment he wants to upgrade his PC even more, you will deal with his PSU problems.

As you saw I advised him to get the 550W variant which is sufficient for even powerful components.

Do you have any facts?

I used an i7-3930K with a 400W (be quiet Pure Power 10 CM) PSU, GPU was either an RX480 from Power Color or a Radeon HD7970GHz. And still was under 400W. 

With my Ryzen I have to overclock to go over 400W, but am still under 450W.

So 400W is not as little as you claim it is, if you don't overclock.

2 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Do you have any facts?

I used an i7-3930K with a 400W (be quiet Pure Power 10 CM) PSU, GPU was either an RX480 from Power Color or a Radeon HD7970GHz. And still was under 400W. 

With my Ryzen I have to overclock to go over 400W, but am still under 450W.

So 400W is not as little as you claim it is, if you don't overclock.

I'd still say 550W is the sweet spot for being able to run basically any single card and CPU combo unless you go for Threadripper or something. 550W PSUs usually aren't that much more than the 450W versions, often the higher wattage version perform better, they'll be quieter unless you actually use all 550W, and they offer a bit more comfortable headroom. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

3 hours ago, georgech900 said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/quiet-Straight-Power-Black-supply/dp/B078X22YBS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1537982906&sr=8-3&keywords=Straight+Power+11+550w i will actually get the 450W since thats all i really need and it is £20 cheaper lol. Thank you :D 

i hate how expensive pc parts are :,( 

That's because you order from Amazon.

The 450W is cheapest on Amazon while the 550W is available at around 87 Pound from 

https://www.aquatuning.co.uk/cases-hardware/psus/psus-air-cooled/22960/be-quiet-straight-power-11-550w-atx24?sPartner=skinflint_couk

or 89€ from Reichelt:

https://www.reichelt.com/gb/en/be-quiet-straight-power-11-550w-bqt-bn281-p219747.html?MWSTFREE=0&PROVID=2775&utm_source=psuma&utm_medium=Skinflint.co.uk&&r=1

Both ship probably from Germany so it might take a day or two more...