Is it safe to sell on ebay?

ExalyThor

I want to sell my gaming pc on ebay, but I'm not comfortable. With it's buyer protection the buyer can say it's not as described, and he/she would return it to me, but he/she would steal the gpu or something else. Does ebay have a seller's protection for this kind of situation?

just take pictures of everything so you can show that they have taken something, then ebay can take further steps against the buyer

5 minutes ago, James Evens said:

Don't sell valuable stuff on ebay. Better sell it locally since ebay only has a buyer protection and there are enough bad people.

they do have a buyer protection, but also a seller protection for the same reasons. It's your choise where you want to sell. but i would say ebay isn't that bad of a choise

I remember an old workmate selling his new S7 edge on eBay and getting completely ripped off by the buyer, who damaged it, then sent it back and got all his money back, leaving my workmate with a broken phone instead of a MINT one. 

I've sold a few things on ebay but nothing too expensive, the unfortunte thing is there is just no way to tell what sort of person you are selling to until it's sold

CPU: i5-4690K @ 3.5GHz || MoBo: Asus H81M-C || RAM: 16gb Kingston HyperX Blue || Cooler: Stock intel cooler || GPU: Palit GTX 1050 || PSU: Can't remember exactly but know it meets the needs of my components || Case: White Falcon Case || SSD: Kingston 120GB || Storage: WD Blue 1TB

Too bad ebay doesnt work like my country's used market. You pay the product in cash when it arrives at you but you can see it and in some cases even test the product. The bad thing is that the used marked isnt too good in my country and especially in my city...

10 minutes ago, eth_jones said:

I remember an old workmate selling his new S7 edge on eBay and getting completely ripped off by the buyer, who damaged it, then sent it back and got all his money back, leaving my workmate with a broken phone instead of a MINT one. 

I've sold a few things on ebay but nothing too expensive, the unfortunte thing is there is just no way to tell what sort of person you are selling to until it's sold

I've had problems with about 20-10% of things I sell. :(

Had a motherboard and a SSD trashed then returned, lost out on those. Currently seeing if a Laptop is getting paid for or not... if it don't get paid for, I'm cancelling (obviously) the sale and going to cash converters. xD (local pawn shop)

I'm trying to use local adds/sales instead. Works fine for general stuff, but I'm finding it harder for electronics/PC parts.

I have sold many things ranging from $10-$200. Sure there's dishonest people, you can't avoid that. Ebays biggest problem for me though is their exorbitant seller fees, so make sure you take this into consideration. It's not much when selling something for a few bucks, but once you start to sell for a few hundred dollars you'll notice the difference.

In terms of scams, well take plenty of photos, package things securely and make sure your descriptions are accurate. If you can I would try and sell the parts seperately,, this way if there is an issue you won't be out of pocket for say a whole system.

Is there an option where I can chose if I accept returns or not? That would be enough...

9 minutes ago, TheSponyX said:

Is there an option where I can chose if I accept returns or not? That would be enough...

No, and even if there was you couldn't stop them from getting a refund... unless you could prove you sent what you claim to.

Selling separately is a good idea, either way if you document the shipping process properly you shouldn't have a problem.

2 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

just take pictures of everything so you can show that they have taken something, then ebay can take further steps against the buyer

In this case the only required steps would be denying a refund.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

always make buyer pay before you ship. 

You can deny refunds. 

Good video:

27 minutes ago, fpo said:

You can deny refunds. 

Nope.  If a buyer wants to return you're obligated to accept it and refund without a restocking fee.  I've seen all sorts of "as is" "no refunds" etc and it doesn't make a difference.  You can try putting your foot down and you'll just get hit with a paypal dispute that automatically resolves in their favor.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

eBay always sides with the buyer.

I'd sell locally since a PC is relatively fragile and expensive. No anxiety about damage during the shipping process. Especially if you end up with a buyer who doesn't leave feedback, so you spend your time thinking the post office lost it. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

Eh, just sell it on craigslist or something. I have sold a few things on ebay, but I don't like doing it because of the dozens of horror stories I have heard.

18 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Nope.  If a buyer wants to return you're obligated to accept it and refund without a restocking fee.  I've seen all sorts of "as is" "no refunds" etc and it doesn't make a difference.  You can try putting your foot down and you'll just get hit with a paypal dispute that automatically resolves in their favor.

Looks like I'll have to sell it local only. Thanks for your help anyway guys. Also, do you think 500$ is bad value for a 2500k r9 290 system? In my country with that money you cant even buy a g4560 system WITHOUT a gpu. And I'm talking no name psu and the cheapest ddr4 4gb stick on the market.

On 9/24/2018 at 2:16 AM, eth_jones said:

Shouldn't sell phones on ebay, unless something is new in box and sealed.

Ever.

Sell them on Swappa.

Swappa absolutely requires that you take pictures of what you are selling from multiple angles and also write a verification for validity.  Then once your item is sold, the buyer pays you and you ship the item out.  

Since it's only phones, they run a good tight ship and people rarely get scammed.

Now I'm aware that you can put on your tinfoil hat and a dishonest buyer can bid and buy your perfectly mint pristine phone, then claim that you sent him a damaged phone even though you have pictures it was completely mint and packaged perfectly (impossible to have been damaged in shipping), and then demand his money back through paypal.  But if the phone's IMEI is good, swappa will be able to verify with the buyer that that is the exact same item that was put up for sale, which means that he damaged it on purpose.  But why would a buyer do this?  He has nothing to gain from it.

And the seller having two phones, one in pristine shape and one in horrible shape, taking pictures of the pristine phone and sending the horrible one?   Good luck with that.

These are absolute nightmare scenarios which are not realistic when people are truly trying to just sell their valid phones, so swappa is the best place for that.  Not ebay.

On 9/24/2018 at 4:39 AM, TheSponyX said:

I want to sell my gaming pc on ebay, but I'm not comfortable. With it's buyer protection the buyer can say it's not as described, and he/she would return it to me, but he/she would steal the gpu or something else. Does ebay have a seller's protection for this kind of situation?

No, eBay will screw you over. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 9/24/2018 at 4:39 AM, TheSponyX said:

Somewhat.

eBay 99.9% of the time will side with the buyer and fuck over the seller. If that were to happen, you'd be forced to refund everything the buyer paid, and pay the return shipping on top of that. In addition to all that, there's a 10% final value fee added on after the sale of the item. So if you sold it for $1,000, you can kiss $100 of that goodbye.

After my first (and last) time selling on eBay, I'm never selling on that excuse of a website again.

I'd stick with local listings for selling stuff.

Also, document EVERYTHING. Every single serial number, every scratch, dent, etc... and take photos of every single side of every product, including evidence of it working fully. That way you have undeniable proof that everything was exactly as you said in case they try to scam you.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

On 9/24/2018 at 12:24 PM, TheSponyX said:

Too bad ebay doesnt work like my country's used market. You pay the product in cash when it arrives at you but you can see it and in some cases even test the product. The bad thing is that the used marked isnt too good in my country and especially in my city...

Bulgaria ?

On the brightside, it is pretty safe to sell your virginity in eBay. 

Sudo make me a sandwich