Linux Dev's threaten to pull killswitch over CoC (somewhat clickbaity title)

Trik'Stari
Message added by colonel_mortis

Please keep in mind that there are lots of different perspectives within our community, and the tech community in general. Just because someone is saying something that you disagree with, does not mean that they are inherently wrong or stupid, just that they are looking at this divisive issue from a different perspective. There are no right or wrong answers to this issue.

From our own Community Standards,

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
  • "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
  • Remember your audience; both present and future.

Well, this looks interesting. An open letter has been posted to the Linux Kernal mailing List, which details how developers can retroactively rescind the licenses for their contributions made to the Linux Kernal. If people or companies continue using that code, now under a rescinded license, they are potentially open to copyright lawsuits.

Date	Thu, 20 Sep 2018 09:28:14 +0000
From	unconditionedwitness@redchan ...
Subject	Re: A Plea to Unfuck our Codes of Conduct

Regarding those who are ejected from the Linux Kernel Community after 
this CoC:

Contributors can, at any time, rescind the license grant regarding their 
property via written notice to those whom they are rescinding the grant 
from (regarding their property (code)) .

The GPL version 2 lacks a no-rescission clause (the GPL version 3 has 
such a clause: to attempt furnish defendants with an estoppel defense, 
the Linux Kernel is licensed under version 2, however, as are the past 
contributions).

When the defendants ignore the rescission and continue using the 
plaintiff's code, the plaintiff can sue under the copyright statute.

Banned contributors _should_ do this (note: plaintiff is to register 
their copyright prior to filing suit, the copyright does not have to be 
registered at the time of the violation however)

Additionally when said banned contributors joined the Linux team, they 
were under the impression that it was a meritocracy: in-fact this belief 
was stated or ratified by those within the governing body regarding 
Linux when the contributors began their work (whatever that body was at 
that time, it could have been simply Linus, or Linus and a few 
associates).

The remuneration for the work was implied to be, or perhaps stated, to 
be fame as-well as a potential increase in the contributors stature, in 
addition to membership in the Linux Kernel club or association, or 
whatever it is that the Linux Kernel Community actually is (which a 
court may determine... it is something, suffice to say).

Thusly for work, consideration was promised by (Linus? Others? There are 
years of mailing list archives with which to determine).

And now that consideration has been clawed-back and the contributors 
image has been tarnished.

Thus the worker did work, however the other side of the implied, or 
perhaps written (email memorandums), understanding has been violated 
(once the contributor has been banned under the new non-meritocratic 
"CoC").

Damages could be recovered under: breach of contract, quazi-contract, 
libel, false-light. (services rendered for the contractual claims, 
future lost income for the libel claims)

In addition to copyright claims. (statutory damages, profits)

For greatest effect, all rescission should be done at once in a bloc. 
(With other banned contributors).

Contributors: You were promised something, you laboured for that 
promise, and now the promise has become a lie. You have remedies 
available to you now, as-well as in the close future .

Additionally, regarding those who promoted the Code of Conduct to be 
used against the linux kernel contributors, knowing full well the effect 
it would have and desiring those effects; recovery for the ejected 
contributors via a tortious interference claim may be possible.

Richard Stallman has commented on this letter saying:

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

The developers of Linux, or any free program, can remove any and all
code, at any time, without giving a reason.  However, this doesn't
force others to delete that code from their own versins of the program.

They don't do this very often, because they have to pay the penalty:
they lose the functionality of the code they remove, unless they
replace it.

I am not part of Linux development.  Torvalds is no friend of mine,
and he advocates "open source" which disagrees with my views at the
level of basic values.  See
https://gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html.

So I don't think I will comment on those internal aspects of Linux
development.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation (https://gnu.org, https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)

Source: https://lulz.com/linux-devs-threaten-killswitch-coc-controversy-1252/

There is a hell of a lot more information in the article, I have only posted the letter. This appears to only apply to the GNU Public License Version 2.

My thoughts: I think this is good. I don't think the CoC is a good thing and I think those trying to force it on the Linux community cannot be trusted to be impartial or fair. I think large parts of the CoC will result in objectively racist and sexist policies despite what its proponents claim. I think a lot of the assumptions made by those championing this CoC are, in their own right, racist and sexist.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

6 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

What is coc?

The Chicken of Calamity.

Or the Code of Conduct.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

8 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

What is coc?

From Source:

The controversy
Activists from the feminist and LGBTQIA+ communities have been trying to force the Linux project to join the Contributor Covenant since at least 2015. The Contributor Covenant is an agreement to implement a special Code of Conduct (frequently CoC from now on) aimed at changing the predominantly white, straight, and male face of programming. CC’s Code of Conduct is controversial particularly because it allows anyone to be banned from contributing code for any reason, usually with no mechanism for oversight or accountability.

4 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Ok that makes way more sense. You can promote people of various background to get into programming but putting rule in place to enforce it is dumb.  

It amounts more to "promoting people of various backgrounds except for one specific group of people, many of whom need to be gotten rid of" which is ironic considering that is what they allegedly are morally against.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

5 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Ok that makes way more sense. You can promote people of various background to get into programming but putting rule in place to enforce it is dumb.  

That's how I feel about it. I have no issue in promoting anyone to get into programming. The more the merrier, and I wish I could've gotten more interest in programming. That being said, trying to forcibly add people who may not partake in that interest while discounting the demographic that tends to become programmers doesn't get anyone anywhere.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, Trik'Stari said:

It amounts more to "promoting people of various backgrounds except for one specific group of people, many of whom need to be gotten rid of" which is ironic considering that is what they allegedly are morally against.

I often find these people to be the embodiment of racism.

So your weapon against racism is more racism? Huh.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 minute ago, Trik'Stari said:

It is a bit ironic that the best way to have a world free of discrimination would be to not take background into account at all. 

i don't get any of this, is this like positive discrimination for linux programmers?

i had no idea programming for Linux was a white straight male thing. WTF

4 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

It is a bit ironic that the best way to have a world free of discrimination would be to not take background into account at all. 

welcome to logic. Something they don't have.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Another case of: Get Woke Go Broke

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

10 minutes ago, asus killer said:

More specifically, it’s something that just happens to be mostly done by white straight males.

There was no actual barrier to coding for Linux if you’re not a white straight male. If that really bothers you so much, I think you have bigger problems.

Forcing is not the way to go. Stop trying it you dickwads.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

6 minutes ago, asus killer said:

Its the same level of idiocy like saying  that calling the companion of Santa Claus Black Peter is racism....-_-

I like where this world is heading and it's heading there in a hand basket lmao

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

16 minutes ago, asus killer said:

i don't get any of this, is this like positive discrimination for linux programmers?

Don't you know?

there's a white force in the ether that stops people that don't fit his image of programmer from voluntarily giving code for free to the Linux project and gain the privileged status of contributor 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

coc: let's include every person no matter their race or gender and give them freedom of speech!!!1

anyone with IQ higher than 35: can white guys join too?

coc:

3929cb71dccd09b8314f46271792d600bab0f366

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

1 hour ago, Trik'Stari said:

the copyright does not have to be registered at the time of the violation however)

dafuq? so someone could be using stuff under a free lisence that then the devs do a lisence switcharoo on and then sue the shit out of you for copyright? wtf

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

43 minutes ago, asus killer said:

It only makes sense, that until now that most of developers are ,,white straight males'' because well after all they fucking  wrote the first programming language and a shit ton of programming languages.  What did you expect ?? Also why the fuck does the sexual orientation matter ??? Like I don't get it, why does it matter to you if I fuck a guy or a girl or even a fucking fleshlight ? 

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

2 minutes ago, cesrai said:

It only makes sense, that until now that most of developers are ,,white straight males'' because well after all they fucking  wrote the first programming language and a shit ton of programming languages.  What did you expect ?? Also why the fuck does the sexual orientation matter ??? Like I don't get it, why does it matter to you if I fuck a guy or a girl or even a fucking fleshlight ? 

It's all in the name of "diversity", or something like that. These people go from one thing to another so quick I can't even keep track.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Ok so i don't get it . On the COC website they have stuff like  this :

Capture.JPG.330ce491dae4e80948c7fa3a7e97049c.JPG

Isn't this work ethic 101 ? What's the big deal here ?  I'd expect this of any professional work environment .

I mean , i'm aware of the whole master/slave debacle recently , but the website itself is so vague . It doesn't explicitly state what the problem is or how it will be solved . And i see no mention of pushing/hindering any ethnic groups or people of various backgrounds/orientations. The closest concrete thing is see is "people should be held accountable for their own behaviour" . 

I thought the general rule of thumb is just "don't be a dick" and "treat people as you want to be treated" , and you're fine . what's the controversy , and what is exactly wrong with an existing code of conduct?

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

54 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

More specifically, it’s something that just happens to be mostly done by white straight males.

There was no actual barrier to coding for Linux if you’re not a white straight male. If that really bothers you so much, I think you have bigger problems.

Forcing is not the way to go. Stop trying it you dickwads.

Agree.  I'm like the one of two gals in the IT where I work.  Our male co-workers have no issue with us nor us with them.  Really wonder what these chaps are waving pitch forks for at times.  At most, they making it worst, not better with these policies they are pushing.

Heck, when working on my CS, there just not many females going for it nor interested in it.  Most either go into medical degrees, finance degrees, social worker or teachers (at the university I was at).  Think there was at max three gals out of like 15-30 students depending on the classes.  Even less in the programming classes.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

2 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Heck, when working on my CS, there just not many females going for it nor interested in it.  Most either go into medical degrees, finance degrees, social worker or teachers (at the university I was at).  Think there was at max three gals out of like 15-30 students depending on the classes.  Even less in the programming classes.

In my intake, there was literally one female taking up CS. 

3 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Our male co-workers have no issue with us nor us with them.  Really wonder what these chaps are waving pitch forks for at times.  At most, they making it worst, not better with these policies they are pushing.

And that's the thing. What's stopping you from contributing? If you've got the skills, then just jump in and do it. 

If your reason for holding out is because of some fallacy that doesn't even exist, you need to work on that first